Polestar Forum banner

161 - 180 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
As I have written elsewhere, if you have the hollow triangle, you need to have the 4G module reset. However, there is no ability for the end user to do this; it needs to be done by a technician. Your 4G might magically return on its own, but this seems to be the exception. I had tried all of the things suggested by others (12 V reset, which doesn't work since the 4G has a backup battery; and the Polestar Connect call approach, none of which worked for me).

My car has (as of a week ago) a software patch now so that I can reset my 4G/LTE by holding the defrost button for 10 seconds. I do not know if they have put this in other cars since mine, but no harm in trying.

FWIW, I have never needed to use the defrost button since I got the car back from California. My LTE has been flawless. I get the "x" when I am in places where there is no cell service, but it always comes back once I am in range.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have random issues with the hollow triangle, but never for more than 5 minutes before I either:

1) reset infotainment, which HAS worked at least once to correct this
2) arrived at my destination slightly annoyed, parked, left for anywhere from 5 minutes to 4 hours, and came back to working 4g

I estimate that in my area <<<1% of vehicles have a dedicated cellular connection, and certainly there are no other Polestars around. Thus, in the US at least, I suspect that 4g issues (which are RARE) are due to the software not firing up the modem properly. And not due to any network capacity issues.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I've only lost my 4g once since I got the car. So I do think there is some resource constraint in the network management for the dedicated Polestar connections. I also attribute my one instance to a software issue that was resolved overnight.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I futzed with it some more this evening and it came back! I turned off the mobile data (slider in settings), restarted the infotainment system, it came back with full triangle with little "x", turned back on the mobile data, and all better...for now!

Have never had luck with the Wi-fi - today it found a weird secured Spectrum (local internet company) network at work and at home, which is weird since they are 32 miles apart. I don't know the password though...

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don’t know anything about how 4G networks work, but I would’t be surprised if it’s some resource capacity problem, whatever that is, interacting badly with the client and getting it in that stuck state. The forced restart with the demist button seems to help.

in any case, it’s not a good look that the issue resurfaced a month after it was fixed.

You can connect it to your WiFi if that works for you but I doubt there is an Ethernet interface or that one connected to any of the USBs would work.
Mobile networks don't work like that.
First our cars are "roaming" wherever they are. Therefore there are two networks involved, the visiting (where the car is) and home (I suspect T-Mobile Germany...).
A hollow triangle can be either, no signal where you are at your location, or failed registration to the home network. Sometimes this happens as T-Mobile wants you to be on their preferred visiting network (due to wholesale agreements) and registration may fail due to the car attempting many times to register.
In my view the best to try and fix from the end user side is to drive some distance and restart the car to force a new registration. How far too drive depends on the visiting network layout, in rural areas it can be even in another county...

The triangle with X on it is most likely a capacity issue, as the car is registered to the visiting network and approved by home, but, data link is not established. Unless they now use a different way to access data at the visiting side (I left this business 5 years ago), the internet connection is established at home, means it is tunneled all the way to Germany (if this is the home network) and from it to the internet after some policies and security.
It seems this is what they did last time, increased the bandwidth on the policy to allow access of more cars and bandwidth...

This is the theory, now the real situation is [Polestar add here some text...]

·
Registered
66 Posts
In my situation no 4G/LTE internet, no Wifi, and no GPS fix. 4 days now. called polestar support from the car and they advise me to go to Volvo garage.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I must say this is way BEYOND a joke. My previous bmw had an internal sim and it worked perfectly all the time. The Polestar needs a network connection to work and it been months now of people reporting the same/similar issues. I don’t care if it’s a polestar software issue or network capacity issue (still polestar) get it sorted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had the "hollow triangle"/4g network failure yesterday. Tried all reboots, none worked. But this one from Polestar did.

(FYI, this solution worked for me here in California - not sure about Europe)

1) Press Connect button on ceiling and call Polestar Connect (call must go through, not just ring)
2) Settings/Network and Internet/ turn Mobile Data and WiFi OFF
3) Turn mobile data and WiFi back on
4) Park/turn off car and wait 1 hour
I had my 4G triangle go hollow (gray) for the second time. Just like last time, no amounts of resets, nor 12V disconnect works. WiFi has been dead for weeks, it only worked for a few days since the last 4G module reset in December. I am trying this tip right now, but I probably need yet another visit to my local shop to have the 4G module reset. I shall not mention how many visits my car, delivered in August, has been to service, but they have all been short (1-2 hours, max one day).

·
Registered
45 Posts
The LTE seems working fine for me after the software update (version 1st Dec). I have turned the auto update on, will see if it will pick up the OTA update once released.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
333 Posts
Mobile networks don't work like that.
First our cars are "roaming" wherever they are. Therefore there are two networks involved, the visiting (where the car is) and home (I suspect T-Mobile Germany...).
A hollow triangle can be either, no signal where you are at your location, or failed registration to the home network. Sometimes this happens as T-Mobile wants you to be on their preferred visiting network (due to wholesale agreements) and registration may fail due to the car attempting many times to register.
In my view the best to try and fix from the end user side is to drive some distance and restart the car to force a new registration. How far too drive depends on the visiting network layout, in rural areas it can be even in another county...

The triangle with X on it is most likely a capacity issue, as the car is registered to the visiting network and approved by home, but, data link is not established. Unless they now use a different way to access data at the visiting side (I left this business 5 years ago), the internet connection is established at home, means it is tunneled all the way to Germany (if this is the home network) and from it to the internet after some policies and security.
It seems this is what they did last time, increased the bandwidth on the policy to allow access of more cars and bandwidth...

This is the theory, now the real situation is [Polestar add here some text...]
Yeah I have the x problem which does look like a capacity issue. I’m out of the telco market for over a decade and a half now, but I know it to well to think it might have improved dramatically since then :)

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,994 Posts
To provide a balance, I've had only one occurrence in two months of no 4G (little cross). I've never had a hollow triangle. I wonder if it's because my car tends to sit for more than 2 days at a time quite a lot, so it goes into complete shutdown at least once per week?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I haven't used the Polestar for most of the week, but last night I did a short trip to the local supermarket. I had the empty triangle with x, and empty GPS arrow. Today after topping up charge to 90% overnight and preheating this morning, it has been totally useless. With the same problems and despite trying all the fixes and in different combinations, they would not come back on a 30 mile round trip and a couple of shorter 10 mile round trips. I have no Wi-Fi and even connecting through mobile phone tethering, I am still not getting internet connectivity.

There were however two unhealthy twists on this. Firstly, the Traffic Sign indicator went into meltdown. It was plain wrong on EVERY road type (and any coincidental correct spells only lasted for a few seconds). So I tried to switch it off. Two seconds later it came back on. And this repeated several times culminating in me leaving it ON, getting out of the car for a couple of hours and on return found it was OFF.

On the first half of that journey I was spooked by a dashboard warning and a pull of the car's steering across the road as I went over an undulating section. I regularly do this route and this was the first time it had happened.

I also noticed that the pre set heating to the drivers seat and steering wheel did not work on all "starts" today. That was new.

I had the connection issues before the upgrade to Android 10 etc, and very intermittently since. Same with the Signs gremlins. But each time they corrected themselves quickly or on restarting/ rebooting. No such "joy" today. Will be in touch with Complaints Servicing and I would love to visit the Volvo dealership again - if only I thought that everything would be cured. Patience is running out particularly as all the fixes seem to involve the car owner requiring a degree in telecoms and software hacks to follow the instructions! :mad:

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
My seat and steering wheel heating didn't come on automatically yesterday - does it only do so below a certain outside temperature, perhaps? It's been rock solid for a couple of months until yesterday, and that was possibly the first time I'd started the car above 10C...

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
446 Posts
My seat and steering wheel heating didn't come on automatically yesterday - does it only do so below a certain outside temperature, perhaps? It's been rock solid for a couple of months until yesterday, and that was possibly the first time I'd started the car above 10C...
I’m not sure that this is an intelligent feature Rich. I had this failure occur post my update if I remember rightly. I think a minor car reset sorted it and it’s back working as expected.

Has your car been in yet for the fixes...rattle etc?

·
Registered
41 Posts
What you say might be true but mine doesn't switch on seat or steering any more either. I noticed as soon as the weather warmed up. Too much of a coincidence?

·
Registered
32 Posts
To provide a balance, I've had only one occurrence in two months of no 4G (little cross). I've never had a hollow triangle. I wonder if it's because my car tends to sit for more than 2 days at a time quite a lot, so it goes into complete shutdown at least once per week?
Interesting - but both times my 4G module locked up (hollow) were times the car stood parked for 48 hours. Usually I drive every day, so I thought perhaps the complete shutdown was the cause for the hollowing.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
I do suspect it might be cold weather only for the preheating for seats and steering wheel but might be wrong.

Not been into the dealer yet for the rattles. The lady on the phone didn't even understand what a green flash number plate was 🙄 so I'm waiting for them to call me back with a number plate price and book a date in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I do suspect it might be cold weather only for the preheating for seats and steering wheel but might be wrong.

Not been into the dealer yet for the rattles. The lady on the phone didn't even understand what a green flash number plate was 🙄 so I'm waiting for them to call me back with a number plate price and book a date in.
I am sure I read it that it is dependent on outside temperature during my one time read through the instructions you have attached to the forum.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
446 Posts
I am sure I read it that it is dependent on outside temperature during my one time read through the instructions you have attached to the forum.
I will be happy if this is the case but haven’t noticed it knock off yet due to temp. Then again I’m only driving a few times a week so may have just caught the colder days. If this is in the manual I wonder what the temp needs to be...time to read the manual me thinks!

161 - 180 of 214 Posts