Polestar Forum banner

No 4G Possible Solution

27K views 219 replies 66 participants last post by  marlowtech 
#1 ·
For those without 4G here is one suggested option. Realise a few fixes have been suggested before so sorry if repeating a previous thread but this appears to be the official Volvo/Polestar possible workaround. Assume where says T Mobile Germany will change according to location and as it says "MAY" seems far from guaranteed but hopefully
might help some owners.

See less See more
#42 ·
Had a grumble to Polestar CS about a few things including the 4G. This was their response:-

"With regards to 4G, there is a major network outage with our supplier which our technical team are currently working hard on to resolve. I can only apologise for this inconvenience and assure you that we will be in touch when progress has been made."

Seems unlikely T-Mobile network is down for weeks... 🙄

I am glad I am not working for the CS team, it must be really depressing telling people "sorry, we are working on it" all day long.

#46 ·
As above my car at the local garage where they have suggested s comms module update. I thought it would only be in for the day but she’s still there. Also saw another Void there which has been booked in for same connectivity issues...anyone on here own up?

I will update when I know what this update actually means. I am with many of the posts on here regarding two distinct issues.

#59 ·
Hi i am frustrated as well, sometimes i have 4G /3G and others a times it just drops out, i can spend 20 mins in the car on silence, as there is no connection and wont pair with my phone, then i get in and its there, 🤷‍♂️, really for a 49K car this is not good enough, Polestar have said they will book me in with a local Volvo dealer, but why should i take time off work to take the car to them, when ever i had a problem before with a car the dealers came and collected. I am one of the lucky ones who has continually works throughout the situation.

i am still in the 2 week period so not sure whether to say I reject the car, on ther grounds its not operating, and range not as shown on there calculator. Unless they give a extension and time frame to correct the systems.

Hard i know as i love the car, but really, not good enough, anyone who has taken delivery without the operating systems being correct should have the option of rejection if not sorted within a reasonable amount of time, or the extended warranty as have others been given, for the systems not being correct.

#61 ·
The 4G problem is likely to be fixed over the coming weeks, particularly given we know they have been doing network capacity updates, and there's a software update coming imminently (this week, supposedly).

I'm afraid you won't have any luck with the range complaint; they're forced to measure it according to the WLTP cycle so they can't really quote anything else. They'll also point out that all EVs are worse in Winter and the Polestar 2 is only spectacularly bad on shorter journeys, it seems.

If you returned the car, think how gutted you'd be in a month or two's time when 4G is working perfectly and things start to warm up...

#63 ·
Yeah, I completely sympathise! We shouldn't have to justify such things to people and it's massively frustrating. Rant away :)

#66 ·
exactly 2 months after taking delivery I had the Empty triangle for my 4g connection pop up on me here on the east coast of the US.

I will try all the tips and tricks here, but I am also engaging customer support to keep them informed.

#149 ·
Yes. Mine, in the UK, has been working great since the Nov update was applied but two days ago it disconnected and won’t connect again. Wi-Fi connection is fine but as soon as I set off no 4g , hollow triangle. Got it booked in AGAIN on Friday for them to apply the latest software as it won’t download it without a 4g connection.

#68 ·
Yep. But only on my return journey after a short stop... not the first time it’s exhibited that behaviour. Works fine when I set off, make a stop, jump back in and it’s dead. That’s flaky software imho, rather then network “disturbances”. I’d try resetting it but my drives in those scenarios are too short to warrant it tbh.

#70 ·
I had the hollow triangle and they recommended I try the following...seems really odd, but if it works...it works...

1 - Go out to the car, unlock, and get inside.

2 - Get the infotainment system up and running (turn on the car)

3 - Press and hold the Polestar Connect button for 2 seconds

4 - Let Polestar Connect call go through until an agent connects.
You can advise the agent that you are testing the system and they can end the call after about 60 seconds.

5- Once the Polestar Connect call has ended, exit the vehicle and lock for 1hr.

6 - Check vehicle after 60 minutes.
You may also need to take a short 15-20 min ride before the connection returns

Call back if it persists

Fortunately, 4G seemed to recover after my day at the office so I did not have to perform these steps.

Hope it helps

Reactions: polerad
#73 ·
I had the hollow triangle and they recommended I try the following...seems really odd, but if it works...it works...

1 - Go out to the car, unlock, and get inside.

2 - Get the infotainment system up and running (turn on the car)

3 - Press and hold the Polestar Connect button for 2 seconds

4 - Let Polestar Connect call go through until an agent connects.
You can advise the agent that you are testing the system and they can end the call after about 60 seconds.

5- Once the Polestar Connect call has ended, exit the vehicle and lock for 1hr.

6 - Check vehicle after 60 minutes.
You may also need to take a short 15-20 min ride before the connection returns

Call back if it persists

Fortunately, 4G seemed to recover after my day at the office so I did not have to perform these steps.

Hope it helps
Where's the part about sacrificing a chicken by the light of a full moon?

#71 ·
My god are they serious regarding these steps? Thanks for providing though as worth a try I guess. something to do with activating processes in the comms module perhaps.

I spoke to Katie in PS and she stated they were not yet sure if hardware or software was the issue hence gathering data. She did infer that software seemed to be the techs perspective on the issue though.

Mine has to go in soon for the third attempt at steering wheel alignment so am hoping for this latest update early.

#72 ·
It does seem pretty contrived. Ultimately they are having you make a call with the car to have you check the sim and then letting the infotainment fully reset.

I do religiously power off the car with holding the Play button until the pop up says shutdown (or select car icon > more > power off at the bottom.

The one time I didn't do this after turning on the preheat manually I had the issue...could just be a coincidence, but that's my experience so far.

#75 ·
That seems like complete nonsense to be honest, if what I understand is true (big caveat, I could be wrong) - the CONNECT button to call Polestar uses a completely separate SIM card and network connection to the 4G system in the car so that in the event of a crash, you can still call them even if the rest of the car has died. It can have no effect at all. However the "lock it, leave it for an hour, go for a drive" is likely to be the bit in those steps than might make it work.

#80 ·
you aren't wrong, I probably made an error in assuming the 4G and CONNECT buttons are linked and I have nothing to back it up other than the Poleatar customer support recommending trying out a call....why would they put that bit in there?

Then again, why would they ask us to do the Hokey Pokey steps to restoring the connection as an end user work around to whatever the root cause is.

#78 ·
Today after the school run (4g working fine) I came back to the hollow triangle (of doom). Drove about 5 minutes, no resolution. Reset infotainment, no dice. Decided to hit the round “play” button and instantly the 4g kicked on and connected immediately. Could have been coincidental, but it was literally <1s between when I hit the play button and when the system started the connection. Someone else seen this? 🤷‍♂️

I should say I’ve only had two episodes of the hollow triangle in a week of ownership. This one and another one that lasted 2 minutes and resolved on its own.

GPS is also out when the hollow triangle is present, so the 4g and GPS are clearly related somehow.

#79 ·
GPS is also out when the hollow triangle is present, so the 4g and GPS are clearly related somehow.
I think it’s clearly an issue of radio initialization from the software side not hardware, at least for a majority of the issues reported here and that I’ve experienced.

While it’s possible that the play button (or connect button or...) may be helping to re-initialize the system I think those fixes are inconsistent to the point it’s mostly voodoo/juju/etc to try to do so regularly

#81 ·
I know Polestar CS mean well, but they were the ones who suggested not leaving it plugged in at home because the 12V battery would go flat :rolleyes: Definitely wasn't having a go at you or anyone else on here!

Reactions: ProfessorCook
#82 ·
So now then the faults are coming thick and fast.

Still a hollow triangle which I cannot get back on no matter what I try. Now the Connect button is illuminated but does not work. I suspect the SOS will also not work but will not be trying that. I’ve had this connect thing before and the car needed resetting which clearly suggests software across the differing modules/ECU’s.

#84 ·
Add me to the list of hollow triangles. Stopped working this morning along with WiFi.

I tried the solution @Warb posted, but the Connect didn’t work at all. The first time I pushed it, I got a brief on-screen message about holding for 2 sec to connect but nothing happened. Subsequent pushes of any length did nothing.

Will let it sit overnight connected to the charger and hope that resets whatever subsystem is throwing a tantrum right now...

#85 ·
Add me to the list of hollow triangles. Stopped working this morning along with WiFi.

I tried the solution @Warb posted, but the Connect didn’t work at all. The first time I pushed it, I got a brief on-screen message about holding for 2 sec to connect but nothing happened. Subsequent pushes of any length did nothing.

Will let it sit overnight connected to the charger and hope that resets whatever subsystem is throwing a tantrum right now...
[/QUOTE

Exactky the same for me. I think it will still be the same until the car resets in the low power state that seems to happen after around 48hrs of inactivity.

#86 ·
Aaand...just as mysteriously as it disappeared, 4g is back. Didn’t come back this morning after charging, didn’t come back after fiddling around with several possible solutions folks have offered here. Car sat, locked & not on a charger, for about 6 hours and lo and behold, when I got back in, full service!

Hoping Polestar can figure out how to address the issues everyone is having & get 4g rock solid. The infotainment stack really is much nicer when internet-connected...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.