Polestar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I correct. With a 10% tariff will this result in a price higher than £50,000?

Tariff @ 10% = £4,690

Government incentive £3500

So, my expected delivery date in February will be £8190 more expensive.

Am I correct? If so I will have to give consideration to cancel my order and pay the balloon payment on my BMW pcp.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Am I correct. With a 10% tariff will this result in a price higher than £50,000?

Tariff @ 10% = £4,690

Am I correct? If so I will have to give consideration to cancel my order and pay the balloon payment on my BMW pcp.
As Polestars are manufactured in China they are already subject to an import tariff of 10% so there should be no impact. However, there may be delays at the ports and I daresay that cars will have a lower priority than food, medicines, etc. Not to mention the French fishermen probably blockading ports as well which won't do much for smoothing ferry traffic.

BTW, the PICG is £3000 for a P* and I think the import tariff is 11%.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As Polestars are manufactured in China they are already subject to an import tariff of 10% so there should be no impact. However, there may be delays at the ports and I daresay that cars will have a lower priority than food, medicines, etc. Not to mention the French fishermen probably blockading ports as well which won't do much for smoothing ferry traffic.

BTW, the PICG is £3000 for a P* and I think the import tarif

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My purchase is with a a contract hire with the polestar lease. They are warning of a 10% WTO tariff in the event of a no deal brexit, hence my question.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My purchase is with a a contract hire with the polestar lease. They are warning of a 10% WTO tariff in the event of a no deal brexit, hence my question.
Doesn't make a lot of sense as there is an existing EU tariff regime (see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=OJ:L:2020:361:FULL&from=EN Section 87) of 10% on imported vehicles. WTO terms would impose a similar tariff. As I understand it, 'WTO terms' simply means that the same tariff has to be imposed uniformly unless there is a trading agreement (with China) - we don't have one and the UK has already published a list of proposed (WTO) tariffs (see https://www.check-future-uk-trade-tariffs.service.gov.uk/tariff?q=electric vehicle&n=25&p=2). This is the same as the EU one (10%).

·
Registered
863 Posts
At the moment all UK cars come into Zeebrugge and off load there before going into the Belgium location. We are not sure what work, if any, goes on there. When the car eventually enters the UK it comes in from the EU, effectively. How this affects things i am not sure....

·
Registered
348 Posts
I guess it could be a double whammy? EU charge 10% on import to them and then the 10% extra levy to get it from the EU to the UK?

In that scenario I expect Polestar would just not unload the cars at Zeebrugge and instead queue to get into a UK port, unless they have to go via the EU.

Sunlit uplands and all that... (I'll try not to get more political than that :))

·
Registered
176 Posts
At the moment all UK cars come into Zeebrugge and off load there before going into the Belgium location. We are not sure what work, if any, goes on there. When the car eventually enters the UK it comes in from the EU, effectively. How this affects things i am not sure....
Tariffs are based on the country of manufacture, not the entry route into the EU. This is the reason why, fo example, the S Korean manufacturers now produce EU vehicles in Slovakia. It is also the reason Honda, Toyota and Nissan produce vehicles in this country. As there is now a FTA between EU and Japan there is little need for EU manufacturing (Honda and Toyota are shutting down their UK operations).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doesn't make a lot of sense as there is an existing EU tariff regime (see https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=OJ:L:2020:361:FULL&from=EN Section 87) of 10% on imported vehicles. WTO terms would impose a similar tariff. As I understand it, 'WTO terms' simply means that the same tariff has to be imposed uniformly unless there is a trading agreement (with China) - we don't have one and the UK has already published a list of proposed (WTO) tariffs (see https://www.check-future-uk-trade-tariffs.service.gov.uk/tariff?q=electric vehicle&n=25&p=2). This is the same as the EU one (10%).
[/QUOTE

That was my understanding. However, this appeared on the Ald finance link.

Important Notice

Brexit

The UK officially left the EU on 31 January 2020. However, through the Withdrawal Agreement, EU law and treaties continue to apply in the UK until 31 December 2020. If the UK and EU do not agree a future trading arrangement, it is likely we will move to WTO (World Trade Organisation) and UKGT (UK Global Tariff) arrangements resulting in import tariffs of at least 10% on all new vehicles entering the UK after 31 December 2020.

If a trading arrangement is not reached between the UK and the EU, prices quoted on this website may be affected and any vehicles due for delivery into the UK after 31 December 2020 will likely be subject to an increase.”

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started a thread on a similar subject here:

The consensus would seem to be that there is already an 11% tariff applied to Chinese cars, so a no-deal would make no difference. Buying an Audi/Mercedes/Jaguar however could be a can of worms....!

·
Registered
66 Posts

Tariff @ 10% = £4,690

I had the same pop-up warning about the 10% tariff when I was signing my contract. But I think it’s unlikely it would be the case.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Tariff @ 10% = £4,690
I am in the same boat as I ordered mid Nov have a mid Feb estimated date - I am anticipating a march delivery with the new UK number plate but will see what they say when there i ssome sort of real delivery schedule.
On Tariffs and stuff, surely the price is fixed once we place the order with the deposit? Or the very lest POlestar will do the decent thing and hold the price regardless.
I am buying cash so don't fancy any more uplift on the price !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts