Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
Currently have 2 issues:
1. Pilot assist does not work; only active cruise control. At no time does the steering wheel logo illuminate, it remains grey despite having the white ‘lane control available’ symbol, and being on “perfect” roads well lined and in good weather.
2. Battery drain? Have had this for Ldr 3 days. When I turn car on and set off (no pre-conditioning) it shows a high instantaneous kWh usage. This morning it started at 355kwh. After a 15 mile stretch, average 31mph the average came down gradually to 48.6kwh / 100km.

Thoughts from the community please - I plan to call Polestar later.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
651 Posts
That's not great, but I don't really get pilot assist anyway

·
Registered
234 Posts
I suspect that when you first get in, the 12V battery gets a top up of charge from the high voltage battery, causing the high usage at the start?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suspect that when you first get in, the 12V battery gets a top up of charge from the high voltage battery, causing the high usage at the start?
Snood - good thought. So the 12v battery drain software fix may have been to keep the 12v battery topped up using main batteries, rather than fix the drain?

·
Registered
234 Posts
It's possible, we can only speculate. The behaviour could perhaps be confirmed with a clamp multimeter around positive cable to the 12v battery. It can't confirm if this is part of any SW fix

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
45 Posts
Isn’t this the observed issue with significant energy use warning the battery from cold?. I set off this morning with the usual 1% loss per mile for 15 miles then significantly better useage for the next 85 miles. I’m consistently getting calculated 100-0% range of around 180-190 miles of motorway driving ie down to 44% after 100 miles. A significant contributor to this is lack of battery preheating (which made a huge difference in my I-PACE).
I tend to leave the car connected to the mains for longish periods surely this would charge the 12V battery? I’ve never seen a 12V battery message

·
Registered
234 Posts
Isn’t this the observed issue with significant energy use warning the battery from cold?. I set off this morning with the usual 1% loss per mile for 15 miles then significantly better useage for the next 85 miles. I’m consistently getting calculated 100-0% range of around 180-190 miles of motorway driving ie down to 44% after 100 miles. A significant contributor to this is lack of battery preheating (which made a huge difference in my I-PACE).
I tend to leave the car connected to the mains for longish periods surely this would charge the 12V battery? I’ve never seen a 12V battery message
Oh this is probably more likely than my suggestion

·
Registered
Void Polestar 2 2020
45 Posts
I don’t know what the capacity (usually expressed as Ah) the polestar 2 battery is but even it is as big as a typical ICE car it will store no more than 1-1.2kWh ie will not account for the battery drain.
It’s far more likely to be the energy required to heat a 350kg lump to around 28 degrees C from 6 degrees this morning (and battery inefficiency until it does)
(I’m guessing the battery weight and operating temp)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Just checking, have you pressed the right arrow on the cruise control pad to enable Lane Following/Pilot Assist? Will only work in conjunction with ACC.
Sorry - been at work. Saw the post though so held off calling Polestar.
Got to check and yes you are right ... I love this forum - a great way to pass on our wisdom. Of all the things I have researched that’s one I missed !!!

flumoxed by the battery tho

·
Registered
351 Posts
Even if it didn’t work you’re not missing much with pilot assist. Tried it today and it “worked” but given you have to put some weight on the steering all the time (even when it’s perfectly straight road!) it’s not worth it. Ended up finding it more relaxing to just steer it myself.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I didn't realise I had it on and wondered why the wheel kept vibrating as I approached the centre of the road. Twigged after 20 miles.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The vibrate warning is a separate setting afaik. And is enabled without pilot assist actually being active.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Even if it didn’t work you’re not missing much with pilot assist. Tried it today and it “worked” but given you have to put some weight on the steering all the time (even when it’s perfectly straight road!) it’s not worth it. Ended up finding it more relaxing to just steer it myself.
But how else can you get a little nap in?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I don't think it's weight, or force, or pressure, just touch (capacitive?). Just (lightly) rest your hands on the steering wheel and it steers. Takes out all the minute corrections you would make on a long journey.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts