Polestar Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yep, I am convinced there is still an underlying issue that they haven't addressed - I guess they will sometime...

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

I know this a bit noddy, but just incase it's useful to those scratching their heads over this TCAM reset business. It's the button on the left. Hold it down for 20s roughly. Nothing will happen on your screen. But look up at the SOS button. It should start to flash red. Don't panic! Not the ejector seat! After about half a minute your LTE should be back.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It's not the button on the left, it's the one on the right (the one nearest the knob).
That is really weird. I literally went and sat in my car now and pressed the right button. Nothing. Then I pressed the left button and after 20 seconds the SOS light started to flash. Why is this working on the right button for you and left button for me!?!?!? Mind explode!!!!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I recorded a short video of me resetting my Polestar 2's TCAM. My initial reaction after re-watching the video is "am I being too impatient and not waiting long enough after pressing and holding the right button for the SOS light to start flashing?" - Maybe I'll re-run the test again. If the right button is working for you @stevelup then maybe I'm in the wrong and just not waiting long enough and tricking myself into thinking it's the left button that I should be pressing.

·
Super Moderator
1,019 Posts
I hate those ‘buttons’. Worst thing in the car. Why they couldn’t just have five buttons instead of that stupid touch sensitive haptic rubbish?

All I can tell you is that the instructions say front demist and I’ve definitely successfully reset mine with that inner button.

Weird...

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I hate those ‘buttons’. Worst thing in the car. Why they couldn’t just have five buttons instead of that stupid touch sensitive haptic rubbish?

All I can tell you is that the instructions say front demist and I’ve definitely successfully reset mine with that inner button.

Weird...
OK @stevelup then I'm inclined to give you the benefit of doubt, especially as the instructions also say so. I'll re-test again today and wait much longer after pressing and holding the right side button (front de-mist). I'll report back again later. I'm hopeful that I'm wrong and you're right!

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,293 Posts
I've reset it a couple of times by using the inner (front demist) button, but I counted to 20 before the SOS light started flashing red. You do need to press it down hard enough to feel a slight click. I wonder there's a single button under there to detect movement and give feedback, and the touch sensitive layer just determines which of the two buttons you press?

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July?
236 Posts
I've reset it a couple of times by using the inner (front demist) button, but I counted to 20 before the SOS light started flashing red. You do need to press it down hard enough to feel a slight click. I wonder there's a single button under there to detect movement and give feedback, and the touch sensitive layer just determines which of the two buttons you press?
how to over engineer a problem, probably exactly that

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Remember the problem where people would press the center button and the hazards would activate? I can get this to happen, too. Hard presses may be activating two or more buttons at once. That might explain what's going on here.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have latest OTA update, and LTE not connecting, just the x symbol.
TCAM reset not working ... I have tried holding the inner demist button down for up to a minute even, the. I have also tried the outer (rear) demist button. Both times ensuring I pressed sufficiently for the click.

I am parked. Have tried with WiFi on and connected via my iPhone hotspot and also off.
Have tried also when moving.

At no time does the SoS button flash red 🆘.

Polestar Roadside Connect/Assistance do not work on anything to do with connectivity, meanwhile Polestar CS are not open now because of the Bank Holiday.

Anyone any ideas how else to force TCAM reset for LTE connectivity?

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I think you've covered the standard things to try. The next step would be to park the car and walk away... give it time to think what a bad boy it's being... Sometimes, having the car go into it's deep sleep mode and then restart has worked for people. Frustrating.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks. Have tried that too now.
Guess I’ll just have to tether to phone hotspot until CS reopen after the back holiday

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have latest OTA update, and LTE not connecting, just the x symbol.
TCAM reset not working ... I have tried holding the inner demist button down for up to a minute even, the. I have also tried the outer (rear) demist button. Both times ensuring I pressed sufficiently for the click.

I am parked. Have tried with WiFi on and connected via my iPhone hotspot and also off.
Have tried also when moving.

At no time does the SoS button flash red 🆘.

Polestar Roadside Connect/Assistance do not work on anything to do with connectivity, meanwhile Polestar CS are not open now because of the Bank Holiday.

Anyone any ideas how else to force TCAM reset for LTE connectivity?
A quick call to Roadside Connect seems to fix the issue for me. They don’t do anything - just the process of calling them seems to reset the connection.

I can’t get the TCAM reset to work either - I have the latest update

·
Registered
423 Posts
I've just had a mild British rant at CS, is it too much to ask to have a working 4G connection with >99% uptime on a £50k car? Cheap mobile phones seem to manage it, without resorting to a list of work arounds that don't always work.
I know 4G connection isn't the cars primary function, but it's so ingrained in to the car functionality it's high up there.
I'm tired of always scanning the infotainment screen for a 4G/LTE symbol before I set off to see whether I can actually play my music or not. Car technology should be progressing not regressing, my tape player in my first car always worked (although I can't say the rest of the car did!)

·
Registered
129 Posts
NEW TCAM RESET METHOD
I managed to talk to Polestar today. The TCAM reset method never worked for me, as discussed in my earlier post, but this new method did. P* CS talked me through the steps in real time.

I was told this is the way that always works and should be used to ensure the TCAM not only reboots but also pulls across the TCAM module update properly from the last major OTA software update. Once reset and updated that way the CS rep said they believe this new update will provide a reliable long term fix.

1. Stop the car. Make sure in park.
2. Hold HOME button on main screen until it does a reset of the infotainment system.
3. Immediately after the reboot has finished, hold down the front window demist button (1st button on left of play/pause for at least 15 seconds.
4. Note: I was counting slowly and got to 30 seconds without an SOS light flashing, before the CS person said to me that’s enough, let go.
5. Wait patiently a few seconds and hey presto the SoS started flashing. Note it did not start flashing until I had release the button and waited a while.
6. Once flashing stops, after about another 10-15s the 4G/LTE display started changing. For me it flickered from 4G to LTE, then the empty strength signal changed to full, and then the ‘x’ disappeared and I had full connectivity.

Doing the TCAM update immediately after the infotainment reset is key. For others maybe the SoS will start flashing while holding the button, in which case then let go of the button, but for me it would not start flashing until I let go. I was told a minimum of 15s should be enough but I held it for about 30.

It has been stable since, so far.

I know some have been able to do TCAM resets without this and have even had to do it many times. Perhaps??? Only if you reset the infotainment first will it actually get the TCAM to apply the latest update to the TCAM module to make it reliable?

Anyhow, it worked for me and I hope it works for everyone else who has problems.

·
Super Moderator
1,019 Posts
That explains why it wasn't working for some people. This really is pure genius... they add a new bodge to be able to reboot the totally useless TCAM unit, but that feature is itself bug ridden and obviously doesn't work if the infotainment system has been up for a certain amount of time (or some other random criteria is met).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I went for a drive today, and LTE was X'ed out. Tried to reset the info system, but no luck. The demist reset only works if the car is stationary. I tried when I was driving.
I parked and had a look at the internet provider page. It showed the car connected to the net even if LTE was X'ed out. That means the problem is somewhere internal in the car?
Had the car in the garage for a few hours, and now it's back to normal.
Then I tried to connect the car to my home WIFI network, but the car can't find my WIFI. I have installed a range extender outside my house. My Easee charger in the garage connects to this with no issues, but not my car. I shows many of my neightbours WIFIs, but not mine.
Not completely sure, but I think this extender use 2G, maybe that is why the PS can't find it?

·
Registered
Void non-PP Tow Bar
174 Posts
today was a full of bugs Day. GPS stopped yesterday, thought I’d leave it overnight. Nope still doesn’t know my position.
infotainment reboot, nope, then a TCAM reset with the below method. All good
15 minutes later in a queue, cameras go on the fritz. Took another infotainment reboot to bring those back.
then go for a charge. Finish charging, get a weird error once finished. Something like ‘car not parked’, pressed ok, message went away and back to normal.
at least I have a host of ‘workarounds’

NEW TCAM RESET METHOD
I managed to talk to Polestar today. The TCAM reset method never worked for me, as discussed in my earlier post, but this new method did. P* CS talked me through the steps in real time.

I was told this is the way that always works and should be used to ensure the TCAM not only reboots but also pulls across the TCAM module update properly from the last major OTA software update. Once reset and updated that way the CS rep said they believe this new update will provide a reliable long term fix.

1. Stop the car. Make sure in park.
2. Hold HOME button on main screen until it does a reset of the infotainment system.
3. Immediately after the reboot has finished, hold down the front window demist button (1st button on left of play/pause for at least 15 seconds.
4. Note: I was counting slowly and got to 30 seconds without an SOS light flashing, before the CS person said to me that’s enough, let go.
5. Wait patiently a few seconds and hey presto the SoS started flashing. Note it did not start flashing until I had release the button and waited a while.
6. Once flashing stops, after about another 10-15s the 4G/LTE display started changing. For me it flickered from 4G to LTE, then the empty strength signal changed to full, and then the ‘x’ disappeared and I had full connectivity.

Doing the TCAM update immediately after the infotainment reset is key. For others maybe the SoS will start flashing while holding the button, in which case then let go of the button, but for me it would not start flashing until I let go. I was told a minimum of 15s should be enough but I held it for about 30.

It has been stable since, so far.

I know some have been able to do TCAM resets without this and have even had to do it many times. Perhaps??? Only if you reset the infotainment first will it actually get the TCAM to apply the latest update to the TCAM module to make it reliable?

Anyhow, it worked for me and I hope it works for everyone else who has problems.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts