Polestar Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have seen mentioned in a couple of threads that the Primacy 4 tyres are a 'Polestar special' and the difference from the regular Primacy 4 tyre is the inclusion of a foam insert. Are these literally a piece of foam or are they incorporated into the tyre somehow? If the former, would it possible to transfer the foam (ring?) to a different tyre?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think I have seen mentioned in a couple of threads that the Primacy 4 tyres are a 'Polestar special' and the difference from the regular Primacy 4 tyre is the inclusion of a foam insert. Are these literally a piece of foam or are they incorporated into the tyre somehow? If the former, would it possible to transfer the foam (ring?) to a different tyre?
Yep, the Premacy 4 tyres the cars are fitted are Polestar specific in specification - if you look on the sidewall it's marked POL.

The acoustic mousse is a layer bonded on the inside surface of the tyre, it's not something that can be removed and used with another tyre.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The acoustic mousse is a layer bonded on the inside surface of the tyre, it's not something that can be removed and used with another tyre.
OK - thanks for the confirmation.

The winter tyres that PS supplies in some markets presumably have a similar treatment? Are there any other tyres on the market that have the same noise reduction foam?

·
Registered
63 Posts
OK - thanks for the confirmation.

The winter tyres that PS supplies in some markets presumably have a similar treatment? Are there any other tyres on the market that have the same noise reduction foam?
Couldn't say about winter tyres.

I gather that some Tesla's have tyres with a similar acoustic treatment, but no idea what tyres they use.

At the moment the Premacy 4 seems to be the only(?) approved fitment in the UK for the car - it's certainly the only Michelin option given the issues with sourcing a replacement for my flat tyre.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Couldn't say about winter tyres.

I gather that some Tesla's have tyres with a similar acoustic treatment, but no idea what tyres they use.

At the moment the Premacy 4 seems to be the only(?) approved fitment in the UK for the car - it's certainly the only Michelin option given the issues with sourcing a replacement for my flat tyre.
After a bit of research... The Michelin tyres are branded as 'Acoustic' and I have not been able to track down a UK supplier of Primacy 4 Acoustic.
Continental have their version - ContiSilent is the branding.

I have read a couple of tests of the Continental product from the US which suggests that the foam insert has a minimal impact on cabin noise. Tyres with the TO (Tesla Original Equipment?) mark are homologated for Tesla and have the foam insert, but they also seem to have a wider tread contact area compared to non-TO versions of the same tyre.

This seems to be a newish thing and there have clearly been problems in the Tesla-verse with the foam insert becoming detached and causing balance problems. There are also reports in the US of problems with puncture repairs.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
I believe the 20" rim tyres are Continentals with the foam insert, but I didn't realise the 19" Michelins are too... interesting...

High spec Range Rovers also use acoustically-quietened tyres, for what that's worth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts