Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any official word yet, but we might as well get started. Does anybody know how we'll get our cars serviced or by whom?'Just got my winter tires put on the OEM PP wheels at a local Volvo dealership. They come off as very professional, very capable, and with their act together.

Naturally, there was a lot of interest from the mechanics and the sales guys. They're waiting on their first XC40 recharge and had a lot of questions. Now that I've seen a bunch of Volvos, it's striking how much the cars share.

What's most interesting, perhaps, is that my car popped right up on the Volvo computer system along with reference numbers, sales and delivery dates, warranty notes, etc... Perhaps Polestar has already got an agreement set up in the background, eh?

·
Registered
664 Posts
What's most interesting, perhaps, is that my car popped right up on the Volvo computer system along with reference numbers, sales and delivery dates, warranty notes, etc... Perhaps Polestar has already got an agreement set up in the background, eh?
Probably just using the same back end systems of the parent company.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Perhaps Polestar has already got an agreement set up in the background, eh?
Wow, I sure hope so. That would be the logical thing to do - leverage the Volvo dealership network purely for service and maintenance. I think they could keep the brand/marketing/sales separate from the service and maintenance and still accomplish their goals.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I think it will be depending on State / Province / Territory. It doesn't feel as there's going to be one fit all solution for maintenance in North America. In BC as an example the Gain Group has been contracted by Polestar to sell and maintain the cars. Although they are out of Victoria (on some island offshore the mainland ;-) It is the Gain Group (under some numbered company Inc) from whom you buy the car (contract with them). They are the ones that have outfitted and are operating the two Pop-Up spaces in Vancouver and who are presently building the main Space (for a spring opening). It's not Polestar Canada. The salesman also explained that they are outfitting a workshop from scratch in yet a different location in Vancouver where the actual service / maintenance / repair will take place - again by the entity that's part of the Gain Group. I also own a Volvo and the Volvo dealership is adamant that they will not be able to do any maintenance on my P2 (even though they are XC40 recharge certified) - I will have to go to Gain. This arrangement seems different in other jurisdictions. I guess it will depend on what arrangements Polestar is able to setup locally.
This basically wipes the entire e-commerce model (buy from manufacturer) under the carpet. It may be that you reserve your car on one centralized website, but you still end up dealing with a local dealership model. I experienced that they add additional documentation fees for themselves (over and above to what's listed on the website) to the final Bill of Sales, which then can be haggled over. Basically back to square one of he traditional dealership (sales and maintenance).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Could be the start of a lot of lawyer jokes. That said, when I talked with Shari, Manhattan CS, recently she seemed pretty positive that something would be worked out with at least "some" of the Volvo dealers. Difficult to understand why they would turn down the service revenue. It's probably been noticed that Austin and Denver now show up as "coming soon" Spaces on the web site. Shari indicated Miami would also happen in Q1, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts
In the US? I'd be surprised, never heard that the US is fond of its lawyers...
Because they involve themselves in everything and tend to muck things up that otherwise would go forward to the benefit of all..... like what's clearly happening here.

I think it will be depending on State / Province / Territory. It doesn't feel as there's going to be one fit all solution for maintenance in North America. In BC as an example the Gain Group has been contracted by Polestar to sell and maintain the cars. Although they are out of Victoria (on some island offshore the mainland ;-) It is the Gain Group (under some numbered company Inc) from whom you buy the car (contract with them). They are the ones that have outfitted and are operating the two Pop-Up spaces in Vancouver and who are presently building the main Space (for a spring opening). It's not Polestar Canada. The salesman also explained that they are outfitting a workshop from scratch in yet a different location in Vancouver where the actual service / maintenance / repair will take place - again by the entity that's part of the Gain Group. I also own a Volvo and the Volvo dealership is adamant that they will not be able to do any maintenance on my P2 (even though they are XC40 recharge certified) - I will have to go to Gain. This arrangement seems different in other jurisdictions. I guess it will depend on what arrangements Polestar is able to setup locally.
This basically wipes the entire e-commerce model (buy from manufacturer) under the carpet. It may be that you reserve your car on one centralized website, but you still end up dealing with a local dealership model. I experienced that they add additional documentation fees for themselves (over and above to what's listed on the website) to the final Bill of Sales, which then can be haggled over. Basically back to square one of he traditional dealership (sales and maintenance).
FWIW I checked my final quote for the P*2 against the quotes I got from Tesla for the Model 3 and Y. The diff fees being applied were similar between both. So I do believe Polestar San Jose is actually charging the minimum fees and not inserting random items a la traditional dealers. And, to get the most recent software (before OTA is rolled out in N America), I just took the car to them one morning and picked it up later on having paid $0 and gotten a free car wash out of it.
So far so good!

Now I can certainly imagine that not being so smooth in other areas where the local Space is operated by a different set of folks. And it seems I'm overall getting a relatively easy go of it in dealing with Polestar compared to other folks on the forum, both in the Bay Area and elsewhere. So.... YMMV

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
something would be worked out with at least "some" of the Volvo dealers.
This is basically what we've been hearing all along.

Difficult to understand why they would turn down the service revenue.
It's because there really is no service revenue to speak of. Dealers in general are scared to death of EVs, the online sales model, and OTA updates. GM just bought out 500 Cadillac dealers who were unwilling to go with a totally electric lineup.

·
Premium Member
3,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My Volvo service guy seemed to want to be the service provider for the Polestar. He said he was going to explore things from his end. I told him I'd recommend him to Mike, which I'll do.

·
Registered
14 Posts
In Ontario Polestar has partnered with Grand Touring Auto, which has a Jaguar/Land Rover (and Rolls Royce/Bentley/Aston Martin/etc) dealership in downtown Toronto, about four miles from my home. Very convenient. Alas, I read today that Polestar service will operate out of Grand Touring's Waterloo facility (also a Volvo dealership) 75 miles northwest of Toronto.

I really liked the Polestar, but then again I really like the I-Pace. And in any case I am not commited to BEV and would likely be happy with another XC60, so that 75 mile drive for repairs or service could be a deal-breaker.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It's because there really is no service revenue to speak of. Dealers in general are scared to death of EVs, the online sales model, and OTA updates. GM just bought out 500 Cadillac dealers who were unwilling to go with a totally electric lineup.
You're correct that the EV model of sales and much lower service revenue per vehicle will disrupt and may eventually do away with traditional dealerships. However, in the meantime, Volvo dealers have an incentive to service P*2s as there is little, if any, additional training or other costs and it is incremental revenue and profit for them. As my mother would say, they could cut of their nose to spite their face - but not all will.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
In Ontario Polestar has partnered with Grand Touring Auto, which has a Jaguar/Land Rover (and Rolls Royce/Bentley/Aston Martin/etc) dealership in downtown Toronto, about four miles from my home. Very convenient. Alas, I read today that Polestar service will operate out of Grand Touring's Waterloo facility (also a Volvo dealership) 75 miles northwest of Toronto.

I really liked the Polestar, but then again I really like the I-Pace. And in any case I am not commited to BEV and would likely be happy with another XC60, so that 75 mile drive for repairs or service could be a deal-breaker.
If you're not committed to an EV then don't bother. But if you've driven an EV for any length of time you will never go back to an ICE.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
You're correct that the EV model of sales and much lower service revenue per vehicle will disrupt and may eventually do away with traditional dealerships. However, in the meantime, Volvo dealers have an incentive to service P*2s as there is little, if any, additional training or other costs and it is incremental revenue and profit for them. As my mother would say, they could cut of their nose to spite their face - but not all will.
I guess it might depend on whether they think they can win the fight.

·
Registered
California
603 Posts
Has anyone used the “Pick-up and delivery” method for getting their P*2 to service center in the US? I was just told to just call Volvo Marin or Volvo Palo Alto and schedule a service. No one seemed to indicate picking up my P*2 was involved, they wanted to schedule a time when I could drop it off myself, and did not have loaner vehicles available.

From the looks of the web site, scheduling the pick-up is just the same “contact us” form that goes to Mike + Alane.

If you live within 150 miles of an authorized Polestar service location, we offer a Pick-up and delivery service at no extra charge. … We will provide you with complimentary alternative transport while your car is being serviced.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Has anyone used the “Pick-up and delivery” method for getting their P*2 to service center in the US? I was just told to just call Volvo Marin or Volvo Palo Alto and schedule a service. No one seemed to indicate picking up my P*2 was involved, they wanted to schedule a time when I could drop it off myself, and did not have loaner vehicles available.

From the looks of the web site, scheduling the pick-up is just the same “contact us” form that goes to Mike + Alane.
What service are you needing?

I would read them the Polestar documentation on pickup, or call CS and let them take care of it.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,566 Posts

The Bay Area Space people may need a reminder on how servicing was promised to be...

I live so close to Volvo Palo Alto that I've found it easier to just drop it off myself. And arranging a shuttle home was so awkward/difficult I just walked. I mentioned the whole "we come pick it up and drop it off so you don't have to deal" and it was like they never heard of that arrangement.

And yes, no loaner vehicles from Polestar.

It's not exactly the service experience they promised.

·
Registered
770 Posts
The Bay Area Space people may need a reminder on how servicing was promised to be...

I live so close to Volvo Palo Alto that I've found it easier to just drop it off myself. And arranging a shuttle home was so awkward/difficult I just walked. I mentioned the whole "we come pick it up and drop it off so you don't have to deal" and it was like they never heard of that arrangement.

And yes, no loaner vehicles from Polestar.

It's not exactly the service experience they promised.
Wow. I really hope that this is a misunderstanding. Polestar specifically marketed this pick-up and drop-off service, and it was definitely something that helped me choose to buy the car. They need to stand by it. Does anybody remember where we all ready about this service? Can we still find it somewhere in writing?

Edit: It's still on the website here:

Pick-up and delivery

If you live within 150 miles of an authorized Polestar service location, we offer a Pick-up and delivery service at no extra charge. Polestar owners who live further away than this may be required to contribute to the additional costs. We will provide you with complimentary alternative transport while your car is being serviced. Please contact Polestar at 1-800-806-2504.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts