Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far I am over the moon with the car but the infotainment system is poor. Initially my concerns were about the staging from the system that isn't great and unfortunately there is little you can do without a balance and fader control and the listener position being LHD driver or front. Not great but nothing more than a gripe really. What is getting me really annoyed is the reliability of the apps as we are reliant on this for audio. I can get about 2 tracks in on youtube then errors and nothing plays at all. I may need to run a reset today. What I am really hoping for is an upgrade for the car to allow the use of external drive/card with stored tracks and an interface app to allow you to control from the main screen. I can use BT but having to juggle phone and screen not great for a premium system. As far as I can tell and in my experience every other manufacturer has the ability for a memory device interface.

·
Super Moderator
1,353 Posts
If your car is showing LHD as the 'driver' position and you're in the UK, then you're running old software. Get booked in for an update.

As to your other point, yes - the connectivity is bad beyond a joke at the moment, and this renders the apps useless a lot of the time. All you can do is complain - the more people that complain, the quicker they will do something about it.

I've regularly done whole journeys without connectivity, and to make matters worse, in the latest software update they have buggered the WiFi so you can't tether your phone which was my previous workaround.

I'm sure these teething troubles will be sorted soon, but don't expect any sense from customer services. They'll either:-

a) "this is the first time we've heard of this" despite you knowing full well multiple people are reporting the same thing
b) give you some troubleshooting steps to do that are actually impossible but they didn't realise that because they didn't read your complaint properly and are following a script
c) offer to book you in to Volvo

It's frustrating to say the least.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I don't have problems with the YouTube app itself,I do sometimes have 4g connectivity problems through (probably 5-10% of the time, although it seems better recently). In YouTube app settings you can get it download upto 500 tracks for offline playing. I've set it to download over 4G as well as wifi, takes a while to fully populate in the background, but you end up with a decent selection of albums, playlists that all work offline.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Certainly some sketchy experiences too. The radio apps are a bit ropey. I installed Tunein, as it seemed voice control refuses to interact with the default installed app (random...) but tunein isn't great either. I've yet to find a way of getting BBC Radio 5 Live to be selected by voice. It repeats exactly what I say, and says it's not available, so have to manually select it...

Reactions: Lowrent

·
Super Moderator
1,353 Posts
They really should create a proper live bug-reporting system - customer service must be getting swamped with this stuff.

I also have no faith that they actually do anything with the information we are giving them. One conversation I had, they point blank refused to pass my feedback on because I hadn't taken the car into a Volvo dealer for diagnostics. I fear we're all wasting our time e-mailing customer services with bug reports.

·
Registered
144 Posts
May be worth a conv with UK PR team (Graeme L on twitter for example) as sooner or later some of the negative views and issues will become more public as the car becomes more mainstream. I see he's got the Snow journo car for the Christmas break, so maybe he's experienced some issues too. I imagine that car has had one helluva beating!

·
Super Moderator
1,353 Posts
If it was down to me, I'd have a rep from PS active on the forum. And I mean active, not skulking around in the background - assuming that's even happening...

They have a huge resource here of enthusiastic and willing owners who they could be tapping.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
I know Mike, from CS, North America, is paying attention. I don't know how he's using this information or if he can.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
Oct '20 / VIN47xx. Void, Slate, 20"
554 Posts
@stevelup Yes 💯% A proper bug tracker/reporting system would be great. Plus a rep in addition.

·
Super Moderator
1,390 Posts
You can at least send bug reports through Google Assistant: "Hey Google - Bug Report". You can then dictate your bug report which can be edited and send - after stopping - in the message center. Not sure whether this goes to Google and/or PS, though.

·
Registered
144 Posts
On a related note, I tried to navigate to 'Placename Quay' yesterday. It was like an episode of Fawlty Towers. 'Key' she says? No, QUAY, I say. Q U A Y, I spell. Key? Que? Eventually she played her trump card 'I'm afraid I have no signal so I can't do that right now'. GRR! I had to follow signposts - unbelievable...

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,863 Posts
Without 4G signal, it won't have any of the context-sensitive searching working so it will be pretty much word by word. I bet if you did it again with a working internet connection, it would be fine...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Without 4G signal, it won't have any of the context-sensitive searching working so it will be pretty much word by word. I bet if you did it again with a working internet connection, it would be fine...
It had one to start with, but was just comic timing of me repeatedly asking and then the signal bailing again. :) I will try it again now a bit less off piste though! :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
You can at least send bug reports through Google Assistant: "Hey Google - Bug Report". You can then dictate your bug report which can be edited and send - after stopping - in the message center. Not sure whether this goes to Google and/or PS, though.
I'm pretty sure that sends a bug report to the Google Assistant team, not Polestar (or even Android Automotive, though they may be able to route bugs over to them).

Reactions: 2RatsElop

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We have had the latest update from PS and the Pre-heating is now showing a scheduler, minor issue is it does not work. Doesn't matter if it is plugged in or not. 4G is also a distant memory. I haven't actually sat in the car more than 5 mins as I am home 24/7 and the wife is driving the car daily so relying on feedback. I expect her drives to work in silence will mean that the A6 will be put back in use as of Monday.
However, I got the car knowing there may be issues and I completely understand the teething issues and given the travel restrictions it is a minor problem for me. Had I been back doing 500 miles a week for work and these issues were present, I would be very annoyed. Seems daft that the only way to get music in the car (reliably) is to link to my phone.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,852 Posts
I had to take my son for a 9am hospital appointment in the middle of Birmingham yesterday. I really needed a working google sat nav for the live traffic re-direct. No 4g for the first 25mins. It kicked in just in time & sent me on a wild (but ultimately excellent) route I'd never have found. We arrived in time by the skin of our teeth.
When it works it's very very good.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,863 Posts
I had to go for a late-night supermarket shop on Saturday, only to arrive 2 minutes after the shop had closed (Google's times were wrong). Once I'd stopped being annoyed, I simply asked Google to show me nearby supermarkets which were open, selected one, and drove straight there. Brilliant!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts