Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've found that folk are being very courteous to me when driving the P*2.
Along with Volvo I think we are a fairly non-threatening brand.
But is there a specific brand or model of car which over time has lead you to dislike the unknown driver? No matter how they drive.
For me it was always BMW's. Any model. Probably began when I started noticing the tagline "Ultimate Driving Machine" . Just rubbed me the wrong way. I'll be the judge of that! So I rarely let BMW's out at junctions. Including my dad.
I will not deny I am a prick. A specific type though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
But is there a specific brand or model of car which over time has lead you to dislike the unknown driver? No matter how they drive.
For me it was always BMW's. Any model. Probably began when I started noticing the tagline "Ultimate Driving Machine" . Just rubbed me the wrong way. I'll be the judge of that! So I rarely let BMW's out at junctions. Including my dad.
View attachment 1831
OOps, i had an i3 for three years, before that a 3 series M-Sport, before that a 1 Series M-Sport. I am always a courteous driver :):). I chose the P2 as it felt like the 3 Series in both comfort and build quality. Looks of the P2 are even better than any BMW at the moment. Seeing what BMW are planning in the all electric arena does not want to make me swap back.

·
Registered
241 Posts
View attachment 1831
Yes, I generally judge all BMW drivers rather harshly (perhaps not I3 as that has attracted a rather different driver). The next on my list of distain is large SUV drivers, (particularly BMW X7, and Audi Q7, less so the XC90 due to their ubiquity here in Gothenburg). I often see these drivers not using indicators (although that's rather prevalent in Sweden generally), driving aggressively, tailgating and as the father of a 2 year old I have become particularly attuned to seeing them park in parent/child parking spaces when they don't have any family with them.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I generally judge all BMW drivers rather harshly (perhaps not I3 as that has attracted a rather different driver). The next on my list of distain is large SUV drivers, (particularly BMW X7, and Audi Q7, less so the XC90 due to their ubiquity here in Gothenburg). I often see these drivers not using indicators (although that's rather prevalent in Sweden generally), driving aggressively, tailgating and as the father of a 2 year old I have become particularly attuned to seeing them park in parent/child parking spaces when they don't have any family with them.
I remember a years ago a chap alone in a vintage Merc 2 seater pulled into a parent spot at the supermarket. I said in my most polite tone "excuse me, you seem to have accidently parked in a space reserved for parents with small children". He looked at me, looked back at the space, then told me to F*** Off!
I also tried "you accidently threw McDonalds wrappers out your window" once. Accidently really throws them for a second.

·
Registered
185 Posts
For me the only cars I regularly see barrelling past me on the motorway are Range Rovers... A couple of times I've then passed them on the hard shoulder having an uncomfortable conversation with the plain clothed coppers! :D

Also as a current BMW driver I do try to be extra courteous to others to try to compensate for the massive bellends that do tend to frequent the brand :)

·
Registered
241 Posts
I remember a years ago a chap alone in a vintage Merc 2 seater pulled into a parent spot at the supermarket. I said in my most polite tone "excuse me, you seem to have accidently parked in a space reserved for parents with small children". He looked at me, looked back at the space, then told me to F*** Off!
I also tried "you accidently threw McDonalds wrappers out your window" once. Accidently really throws them for a second.
Not once when I have pointed out the error of their ways re: parent and child spaces has it resulted in them moving the car. Almost always the response is "so?" or "I know" and they walk off. If I see corporate branded vehicles do it then I email the company with a photo.. I've had one apology in response where they said they'd "talk to the driver".

A few times very sarcastically said to someone in a carpark that their indicators seem to be broken and advise they get it looked at.

All this in English to people in Sweden.. It really throws them, firstly that someone would have the nerve to actually call them out on something (not a normal Swedish trait) but then to be called out in English.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I find the worst drivers are generally in Audis or BMWs, I have owned both but have been an IAM for over 30 years. These do tend to be people that drive the older cars. I have also found that some of the best drivers are ones who drive for a living although there are exceptions.
It is frustrating to see people park in parent & child spots who drive large SUVs but I can understand why. Generally the normal parking bays are too narrow for larger vehicles, especially if you are opening the rear doors. I used to own a Mercedes R class LWB which was great when the kids were younger but at 5.15m long not the easiest at the local supermarkets.
I ended up parking in the middle of 2 bays if the kids were with me as the rear doors were so long, mainly to protect other cars. People did look disapprovingly but when the kids got out of each rear door and the door edges were up to the white line either side a look of understanding came over them. I didn't do that if there was only me though.
I still see a lot of people texting on their phones and I am afraid to say that round here the main culprits are young ladies, often with children in the car. Not meaning to be ageist or sexist, merely an observation.
For bad drivers I normally point to my dashcam which sometimes helps (still to put in my P2).

·
Registered
241 Posts
I find the worst drivers are generally in Audis or BMWs, I have owned both but have been an IAM for over 30 years. These do tend to be people that drive the older cars. I have also found that some of the best drivers are ones who drive for a living although there are exceptions.
It is frustrating to see people park in parent & child spots who drive large SUVs but I can understand why. Generally the normal parking bays are too narrow for larger vehicles, especially if you are opening the rear doors. I used to own a Mercedes R class LWB which was great when the kids were younger but at 5.15m long not the easiest at the local supermarkets.
I ended up parking in the middle of 2 bays if the kids were with me as the rear doors were so long, mainly to protect other cars. People did look disapprovingly but when the kids got out of each rear door and the door edges were up to the white line either side a look of understanding came over them. I didn't do that if there was only me though.
I still see a lot of people texting on their phones and I am afraid to say that round here the main culprits are young ladies, often with children in the car. Not meaning to be ageist or sexist, merely an observation.
For bad drivers I normally point to my dashcam which sometimes helps (still to put in my P2).
Phones!!! Sweden was VERY late to the game in banning mobile phone use in cars (only doing so in 2018) but I still see plenty of people on their phones. It's like a compulsion for some. They get in their car, make a call then drive off, holding their phone to their face. It's even more frustrating when it's a modern car that clearly has Bluetooth hands free. That's it' you've now wound me up into a rant on Swedish drivers. Here's a list of my common frustrations in no particular order

1. Mobile phone use
  2. cutting corners at junctions
  3. not indicating off roundabouts
  4. not indicating around roundabouts (not required by the law, some do, most don't)
  5. not giving way according to the right hand rule we have here.

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
Like Anglodude, I've tried my best to break the stereotype of the BMW driver. I stop for anybody that even hints they might want to cross on a crosswalk, if there's any doubt at all at an intersection, I let the other driver proceed first, I make space on interstates for people to change lanes, etc...

Ok... Here we go... Flame resistant suit on... I find there are three categories of poor drivers... Those that seem to want the whole world to know they have disposable wealth, young males who have spent $20,000 modifying a $10,000 used car, and those who think there's no problem for them texting while driving.

Ok... I'm ready to be reported.

·
Registered
162 Posts
So far we have rants about :

Young Females 1
Young males 1
Texting/phones 3

Any more of us Victor Meldrew's out there?
(VM was a grumpy old man in a tv comedy years ago for those not in the know)

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fog lights!! Why oh why do people drive them on in clear visibility. It's an offence, punishable by up to £2,500 fine. Switch them off! Phew, feel better now.
Oh yes... And people who fail to turn their lights on and drive around in the dark with just DRLs on.. Even worse if its a car brand which mysteriously does not run rear lights in DRL mode

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am surprised my most hated has not been mentioned. I refuse to believe i am the only one that really gets annoyed by this :).
These days I can spot what is going to happen from far away. Not necessarily a specific brand even if Nissan Leaf is by far the most common perpetrator.
Because of the "fast" acceleration of those small electrics they rush out into traffic in small gaps then proceed to use 2km to get up to speed limit in order to save battery. ¤R%#¤%#¤ annoys me :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am surprised my most hated has not been mentioned. I refuse to believe i am the only one that really gets annoyed by this :).
These days I can spot what is going to happen from far away. Not necessarily a specific brand even if Nissan Leaf is by far the most common perpetrator.
Because of the "fast" acceleration of those small electrics they rush out into traffic in small gaps then proceed to use 2km to get up to speed limit in order to save battery. ¤R%#¤%#¤ annoys me :D
Won't be a problem to overtake when you get your P2! 😀

1 - 20 of 69 Posts