Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, how is everyone in the UK getting on with battery performance?
I've got over 200 miles off a full charge only once and the average on 4 full charges is about 175 miles..

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
WLTP range is like used toilet paper, useless to anyone.

You can get 220-240 miles, however it seems at the moment if you are doing lots of 5min journeys or doing 70-80mph along the motorway then 200miles is about right.

The first few % drop fast ... something do to with the car getting warm or set up ... we are guessing really. A lot of people now getting 30 kw/100miles - 35kw/100miles (which is 208-240)

All depends on where you live and how you are driving it it seems so far.

Finally PPack or not?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To be honest the mix of trips should mean I should be getting on the higher side and I'm definitely getting nowhere near 240, like I said I can do a 12 mile trip including about 7 miles of motorway and lose about 14% charge driving to the speed limit and using one pedal breaking... just have the pilot plus. The range is becoming a real problem tbh

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
246 Posts
I may not be in the gang for much longer but from what I’ve been told they are holding some range back, I assume via software. As the car is so new they want to get a feel for real work usage before any release of battery performance. This has happened in other models so don’t see why this wouldn’t be the case here.

As others have commented the PS2 will not be as slippery through the air so if range is the key factor the TM3 LR is the better option.

·
Registered
104 Posts
To be honest the mix of trips should mean I should be getting on the higher side and I'm definitely getting nowhere near 240, like I said I can do a 12 mile trip including about 7 miles of motorway and lose about 14% charge driving to the speed limit and using one pedal breaking... just have the pilot plus. The range is becoming a real problem tbh
I get much the same. Fortunately for me it is mostly an annoyance. Polestar material claims up to 340 miles for city driving. I couldn't get half that.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
As I mentioned ... there is something going on where at the start you use a lot of % battery for no real reason. 12 Miles isn't a big trip ... hopefully they will patch the car next year to stop this massive % lose eary.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may not be in the gang for much longer but from what I’ve been told they are holding some range back, I assume via software. As the car is so new they want to get a feel for real work usage before any release of battery performance. This has happened in other models so don’t see why this wouldn’t be the case here.

As others have commented the PS2 will not be as slippery through the air so if range is the key factor the TM3 LR is the better option.
Thanks for that, a range of 250 would be fine but getting 33% less than advertised is killing me. I need to get to London / Manchester and back and at the moment I have no chance.... I wouldn't want a TM3 as I actually love the car, Google issues, features missing and all, but the range is just false advertising....

·
Registered
104 Posts
When the car charges its predicted range calculation seems to default to 28 kWh / 100 miles. So 80% = 210 miles. Once you start driving it switches to trip average since charging, which is more like 48 kWh / 100 miles for me, so 80% = ~120 miles range. Hence why i appear to lose 90 miles range driving about 20.

I hope that they find a way to improve it. My typical range (80%-10%) is somewhere between 100 and 140 miles.

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
Just you wait till the weather gets cold and it's a rainy day - you can wave goodbye to another 10-15% of your current range, I'm afraid. In a recent test done by a chap on SpeakEV who's changed from a Kona Electric to a Tesla Model 3, the Kona was more efficient whenever heating or cooling was required, and the M3 is more efficient whenever you can turn the climate control off. That's because the Kona has a heat pump and the M3 doesn't. Sadly, the Polestar 2 doesn't either...

Reactions: toscal353

·
Registered
108 Posts
When the car charges its predicted range calculation seems to default to 28 kWh / 100 miles. So 80% = 210 miles. Once you start driving it switches to trip average since charging, which is more like 48 kWh / 100 miles for me, so 80% = ~120 miles range. Hence why i appear to lose 90 miles range driving about 20.

I hope that they find a way to improve it. My typical range (80%-10%) is somewhere between 100 and 140 miles.
Yesterday I would have agreed with the defaulting to when charged, but last night mine charged to 100 % again (didn't happen before the update which annoys me) and after driving to work and back it is saying 210 @ 80% so isn't using the average. My overall average must be high 30s and on the way to work I had fun following a BMW 140i. I think it annoyed the driver they couldn't lose me.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I agree with @stevelup

While in London can't you park somewhere where you can charge too? Unless you are literally just picking something up in London and driving back.

Use A Better Route Planner .... there are some 150kW chargers on route too, this would drastically reduce time spent. Even if you stop for a Toilet break on route, plug in ... even for 15mins. Every little helps. ABC ... Always be Charging. Driving an EV is more than just cheap fuel and fast cars ... it's a way of life change.

Assuming you are going Via M6 / M1? I'd suggest the M40 instead. At Banbury there are some Instavolt 125kW chargers there (like 6-8) .... a nice place to stop, grab a coffee, pop to the loo, and take a 20min rest. Repeat both ways and try and charge in London if you are there for a 4+ hours.

With an 8+ hour drive you must be stopping for Food at some point. Get a Charge there too! Plan a bit in advance and you'll be fine!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did you really expect to achieve anywhere near the WTLP figure? WTLP is widely accepted as being overly optimistic. We are also in late autumn with more wet and cold which affect range. I don’t think it’s fair to criticise Polestar for using WTLP in advertising - it’s what every other manufacturer uses in the EU and at least provides a benchmark for car to car comparisons. A bit like MPG comparisons for ICE vehicles really.

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
Not really true...

Some cars do make WLTP in average conditions, above in summer, below in winter.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
246 Posts
Just you wait till the weather gets cold and it's a rainy day - you can wave goodbye to another 10-15% of your current range, I'm afraid. In a recent test done by a chap on SpeakEV who's changed from a Kona Electric to a Tesla Model 3, the Kona was more efficient whenever heating or cooling was required, and the M3 is more efficient whenever you can turn the climate control off. That's because the Kona has a heat pump and the M3 doesn't. Sadly, the Polestar 2 doesn't either...
The TM3 does indeed have a heat pump now after a refresh over the last few weeks. The newest model has had a suite of new updates and these include

- heat pump and octovalve - range improvements

- power boot

- chrome delete

- revised centre console to get rid of gloss piano black

from what I’ve read and seen there is a strong chance you will get over 300 mile range from the long range variant.

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
Agreed, that should now be comfortable to achieve in most driving conditions.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
680 Posts
Hi
I reset my TM as I left work Friday with 100% charge. Weather has been pretty mild for the time of year, mostly dry, 10-12*C. AC & heated steering wheel on most of the time. Kept mostly to speed limits, only 4 full foot down moments. So nothing special as in I wasn't driving like a granny or like I'd stolen it. Looking at the pic below 73% battery used over 122 miles giving full range capacity of 167 miles. I expected about 180 so not far off.

·
Super Moderator
700 Posts
Ouch, that gives a usable energy value of 64.8kWh under the conditions you were in! What kind of roads where they, as that's a pretty low average speed?

I got regularly flamed in the early days for predicting a range of 170 miles in Winter at 70mph, but even I never thought it could be as low as 167 miles in mild conditions o_O We go down to Devon which is 160 miles and may go down over Christmas or New Year (depending...) and I didn't seriously expect to need to charge on the way :oops:.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
680 Posts
I've been asked to justify my driving in the past. But never for the lack of speed!! 🐌
No motorways
2 x work commutes which Friday pm can average 5mph for a while.
Mainly windy B roads in the dark dodging pot holes at 45-50mph.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts