Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the invite for a NY test drive.
I will not be making my way down (250 mi away), but thought the rest of you in the NY region might like to know the email has arrived.
And to head off the questions: I am not sweating being outside the 150-mi range.

I believe I have email from a month back that suggested they could flatbed the car to me for $600.
I have yet to discuss this in detail with them, and am thinking of proposing meeting them at a charging station in a small city that is about 150 mi from me and about 100 mi from Manhattan. We'll see how that idea flies when the time comes.

I think it would actually be very amusing to have bought a car sight unseen on the interwebs (sitting in my easy chair using an iPad) and have it delivered to my door a la Amazon. Heck, I had to drive 50 mi one way to buy my last car!

Registered
I got the email too. Very exciting. I'm also not making the 200 mile trip, though I'd easily take the train up there for a test drive if it weren't during an uncontrolled pandemic :(

I will probably also pick up my car sight unseen. But I'll make the trip in my old car that they can turn in.

Now I'm waiting for the first person in the US to get an email with a VIN and delivery date.

Registered
re test drives: oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy.... can't wait til when they open up the SF PopUp drives.

re buying sight unseen: You all are braver than me. After seeing it in the metal, I definitely suggest going to check it yourself. My impression about its proportions was off from what I gathered from pics/videos. It was honestly a bit jarring to see it be smaller in real life than in my mind. But that said, as noted in my way-too-long memoir, the space in the car was just enough for me.

I guess if the only Polestar test drive was in Bakersfield would I drive down (in my own covid-negative car) to do it? Maybe.... I think I would. But I'm also kind of ridiculous in my own way.

Registered
re test drives: oh boy oh boy oh boy oh boy.... can't wait til when they open up the SF PopUp drives.

re buying sight unseen: You all are braver than me. After seeing it in the metal, I definitely suggest going to check it yourself. My impression about its proportions was off from what I gathered from pics/videos. It was honestly a bit jarring to see it be smaller in real life than in my mind. But that said, as noted in my way-too-long memoir, the space in the car was just enough for me.

I guess if the only Polestar test drive was in Bakersfield would I drive down (in my own covid-negative car) to do it? Maybe.... I think I would. But I'm also kind of ridiculous in my own way.
If the Space wasn't in the middle of Manhattan I might drive 200 miles to view the car. But the idea of driving (on 95 no less) into, and parking in Manhattan is loathsome. The train was an option, but not during COVID. I left NY a long time ago and only go back for special occasions (e.g. weddings, funerals, picking up cars :) , etc.)

And my current car is pretty small, so I'm not expecting anything bigger to be honest.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I would be happy to take one of your NY test drive slots :)
The email said it was first come-first served, so if you are on the list of confirmed buyers, and they don't fill all the slots, you should get an invite. I did write back to explicitly decline it so they don't hold the place. Good luck!

Registered
Hello Cory​
You can now reserve a spot to test drive the 100% electric Polestar 2 from our Manhattan PopUp!
:):):)

Registered
For anyone looking to do a test drive in Manhattan, please be aware that Polestar does not have parking available, and the lots nearby can charge up to $100 for even a couple of hours.

Registered
For anyone looking to do a test drive in Manhattan, please be aware that Polestar does not have parking available, and the lots nearby can charge up to $100 for even a couple of hours.
I would probably take the train into NYC. Test driving around Manhattan wont be tons of fun - hopefully time to get outside the city in the 45 minutes they allow (or at least get on a parkway such as HH), depending on traffic - thinking a weekend appt would be the only chance for that given traffic during the week...

Registered
I would probably take the train into NYC. Test driving around Manhattan wont be tons of fun - hopefully time to get outside the city in the 45 minutes they allow (or at least get on a parkway such as HH), depending on traffic - thinking a weekend appt would be the only chance for that given traffic during the week...
Normally, yes. But no way am I sitting on a train for a couple of hours with a bunch of strangers during a pandemic.

Registered
Normally, yes. But no way am I sitting on a train for a couple of hours with a bunch of strangers during a pandemic.
I wrote to customer support this morning suggesting they set up some weekend test drive locations in the surrounding suburbs in Westchester, CT, NJ. It isn't just that it is inconvenient to go into the city, but really how much fun can you have evaluating the car on NYC streets as opposed to suburban roads? I would think a lot of their orders would come from outside NYC.

Registered
I wrote to customer support this morning suggesting they set up some weekend test drive locations in the surrounding suburbs in Westchester, CT, NJ. It isn't just that it is inconvenient to go into the city, but really how much fun can you have evaluating the car on NYC streets as opposed to suburban roads? I would think a lot of their orders would come from outside NYC.
Couldn't agree more. The NYC store location was a marketing Gambit, but otherwise completely impractical.

Registered
Couldn't agree more. The NYC store location was a marketing Gambit, but otherwise completely impractical.
thanks @Ivan1 !
I hope they do likewise for SF - not as bad as NYC but the good drives are just a bit south of the city...

also most of my friends who live in NYC or SF rarely drive and many don鈥檛 have a car. Many of those who grew up in NYC proper never got a drivers license!

Registered
"Thank you for contacting us and sharing your suggestion. I have forwarded your suggestion to our friends in the marketing department for the USA and have been advised that something like this is already in the works and details will be announced soon. This is something that was always in the plans, but due to timing, wasn't possible to roll out right away unfortunately.

As always Cory, we appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion. If you need anything else, please let us know.

Kind regards,

Mike
- Polestar USA "

Registered
I signed up for a test drive last week and simply took the first available slot which was 10 o'clock this morning. Turns out I was the first person ever to test drive the P2 in Manhattan! (Or so they said...) I just put down my deposit.

Parking across the street was $75.

I owned a Model S from 2013 to 2017. Driving XC40 now and looking forward to getting back to driving electric!

Registered
I can't bring myself to send $75+ for a test drive :cautious:

So what was your impression compared to a Model S?

Registered
I can't bring myself to send $75+ for a test drive :cautious:

So what was your impression compared to a Model S?
It's been almost 3 years since I sold my Model S. The drive felt the way I remembered the S driving and the way I assume all 100% EVs drive. The one thing that jumped out at me was that unlike the Model S, this car has true one-pedal driving. I touched the brake maybe twice.

Build quality seemed better as did infotainment.

Registered
It's been almost 3 years since I sold my Model S. The drive felt the way I remembered the S driving and the way I assume all 100% EVs drive. The one thing that jumped out at me was that unlike the Model S, this car has true one-pedal driving. I touched the brake maybe twice.

Build quality seemed better as did infotainment.
How long was the test drive? Did you drive mainly in the city. How many can go on the test drive with you? Thanks in advance.

Registered
How long was the test drive? Did you drive mainly in the city. How many can go on the test drive with you? Thanks in advance.
It was bout 30 minutes. It's a preset route loaded onto the Google Maps app in the car that only includes city streets and central park. I wish it included some highway driving as well. I had someone from Polestar with me but I think they let you do it solo.

Registered
It was bout 30 minutes. It's a preset route loaded onto the Google Maps app in the car that only includes city streets and central park. I wish it included some highway driving as well. I had someone from Polestar with me but I think they let you do it solo.
This makes me realize how useless it would be to make a special trip to the city, and pay $75 to park, for a test drive in Manhattan traffic. :rolleyes: I will wait for my delivery date to check out the car.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts