Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a long lunch today, by walking over to the Manhattan Polestar showroom. It's right across the street, from the 5th Avenue Apple store. Currently, they have a P1 and a P2 in the showroom. I had a very nice visit, as the associates were anxious to answer any questions I had. For the duration of my visit, I was the only visitor. We came to the conclusion, that it may be possible, to play music files, via a USB stick. Next time I visit, I'll bring along two USB sticks. One loaded with FLAC files and one loaded with MP3 files. It (also) seems, that US based P2's will come equipped with Sirius XM.

I liked the car a lot. For me and my wife, it was just the right size. Very nice car. If I were to order, I would add the Performance Package. First thing I would do, is soften the shocks a little.

Al ..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Also leaning towards Performance package -not a lot of rubber surrounding those 20 inch wheels though ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Think of the potholes. Really suited to UK roads (not). :(
I have ordered a car without the performance pack for the same reason but I test drove today and the car had the performance pack and in all honesty it wasn’t a problem. I just think £4k extra is hard to justify also (and it is personal taste) I find the gold seat belts a bit vulgar. If only you could order just those nice wheels!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Did you note what the Alex Auto review said that the rear rims are wider than the front, though they are shod with the same rubber? May or may not matter for snows. I’m hoping Nokian will have Hakkapeliittas for it! I need snows about 10 days a year, but boy do I need them on those 10 days.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Did you note what the Alex Auto review said that the rear rims are wider than the front, though they are shod with the same rubber? May or may not matter for snows. I’m hoping Nokian will have Hakkapeliittas for it! I need snows about 10 days a year, but boy do I need them on those 10 days.
I was surprised that he was surprised. This is called a staggered setup where the rear wheels are wider than the front. It comes from the old rear wheel drive gas cars. During hard acceleration, the rear axle picks up more normal force (weight "shifts" rearward) and having wider rubber there gives you some benefit in adherence and deformation.

Anyway, my BMW was setup that way, too, but you don't have to keep the staggered setup with a winter wheel set.

The other thing that is useful for winter wheels is to decrease the wheel diameter and increase the sidewall height. I'm not sure I'll be able to do that, though, because those Brembos may need the 20" wheel for clearance.

The next subject would involve tire rotation. Naturally, you can't rotate the tires when you have a staggered setup. I don't have a problem with that and I'm afraid I can go on and on about how tire rotation is counterproductive. You probably shouldn't get me started on that, lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was surprised that he was surprised. This is called a staggered setup where the rear wheels are wider than the front. It comes from the old rear wheel drive gas cars. During hard acceleration, the rear axle picks up more normal force (weight "shifts" rearward) and having wider rubber there gives you some benefit in adherence and deformation.
Except that it’s not staggered in a traditional sense, because the tires are the same size! 245 all around. I’ve not heard of different wheel widths with the same width tire before. The reviewer mentioned that Polestar claims its for handling reasons. I’d be curious to know more about that principle!

·
Registered
65 Posts
And don't forget that the PP wheels come with summer tires. So you would have to swap tires in the winter.
Even if all seasons I would still swap out for dedicated snow tires for the winter. My wife has a long commute and she has to drive regardless of the road conditions (she is a nurse midwife). I do that now with her GLC 43....

·
Registered
504 Posts
Even if all seasons I would still swap out for dedicated snow tires for the winter. My wife has a long commute and she has to drive regardless of the road conditions (she is a nurse midwife). I do that now with her GLC 43....
For the couple of days we have any snow anymore, all seasons are sufficient. And luckily I can work from home.

·
Registered
504 Posts

Anyway, my BMW was setup that way, too, but you don't have to keep the staggered setup with a winter wheel set.

The other thing that is useful for winter wheels is to decrease the wheel diameter and increase the sidewall height. I'm not sure I'll be able to do that, though, because those Brembos may need the 20" wheel for clearance.

The next subject would involve tire rotation. Naturally, you can't rotate the tires when you have a staggered setup. I don't have a problem with that and I'm afraid I can go on and on about how tire rotation is counterproductive. You probably shouldn't get me started on that, lol.
If I recall correctly, the rear wheels are actually narrower than the fronts. So it's really unusual.

Correction: Re-watched the review. Wider rims in the back!🥴

·
Registered
65 Posts
For the couple of days we have any snow anymore, all seasons are sufficient. And luckily I can work from home.
Last winter was a bust for sure. Might be able to get by without it here on the Polestar but it made a big difference on the GLC 43. Unlike the AWD on the GLC 300, the AWD on the 43 has fixed torque ratio between front and rear wheels with a heavy rear bias so it wasn’t great in the snow with the all seasons.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I once had to pick up my kids after a blizzard. Fortunately I was driving a Durango with 4 wheel low range. I was out before the plows 😆.

But heck, I drove a fwd sedan in a Vermont winter for a month.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
I've been driving my RWD, stick for eleven winters with dedicated snows. Knock on wood, I never had a problem.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts