Polestar Forum banner

Observation on negative skew of posts here

41K views 166 replies 57 participants last post by  Dude 
#1 ·
Hey all, just wanted to point something out I've seen here on the forum that may help underscore the impression many of us have that the frequency of negative posts on issues and experiences here on the forum may not be indicative of the actual frequency of problems people are having with the Polestar 2. I have noticed that we have quite a few threads that are initiated with a problem someone is having, usually with a handful of responses either commiserating or offering advice on fixes/mitigations. Maybe a page or two with a few exceptions, and usually consisting of posts from the OP and the 30 or 40 longer term active participants here, plus a few more mixed in.

Then there are a handful of posts that are on topics about anticipating receiving a new car. What boat is it on? What is the website saying? What should I do to prep for the car? And so on. These posts tend to have many different users posting, and run to 10's and even 100's of pages of posts. There are also a few posts plus the "color" threads that were started by the admins that folks who have just received their new car often post photos and participate a bit.

This brings us to my observation: many folks are on here in anticipation of their car, soaking up information while anxiously awaiting their new ride. Once they have the car, and have basked in the glory of sharing their new pride and joy here, their participation fades away as the need for the forum disappears - they don't have any issues and now can enjoy their car and go on about their lives. The minority of folks with problems will land here by doing a search, or they'll remember how helpful the forum was and come back for advice.

Note that this isn't new to product forums in general, and many of us who have participated in online communities centered on a product recognize the behavior and understand the bias. I just wanted to reinforce for anyone new to the forum (and product fora in general) that this is a common attribute and to not be unduly concerned with the negative skew. The car has been good for most of us, and folks without issues tend to not post here. There are always exceptions (like me!) but don't be overly concerned with what you see here.

BTW, I will say that this particular forum is better than most: the amount of good information, advice, and general helpfulness is quite good. And the folks here are for the most part friendly and polite.

See less See more
#96 ·
Per the title of this thread, "Observation on negative skew of posts here"..... I think there is a good balance between good, bad and people just asking a question or seeking advice.

That said, and without a doubt, negative posts on all forums, tend to get
magnified many times over. More often than not, if you have some issue with the car, your service, etc...you'll come on here, repeatedly, to harp on the problem. Whilst if you don't have any issue with the car (I think most of us), you rarely visit this forum, or comment. Ironically, if sites like this derive revenue based on "clicks", or views, then it's not in the web sponsor's best interest to have a dull, quiet forum, full of happy patrons.

But been around enough to know, as fact, that all open forums like this do attract trolls/bots that pretend to be something they're not. Just on here to spread bad press, misinformation, of just f*ck with people. Those are the posters I have no patience with, and yes, they are easier to spot than you might think. One thing I do like about the official Polestar forum is that you have to register/provide proof...if nothing else, it helps to weed out the fakes. I also like that Polestar does monitor the site and does answer technical questions as best they can. Whereas sites like this, are mostly opinion based answers.

#97 ·
One thing I do like about the official Polestar forum is that you have to register/provide proof...if nothing else, it helps to weed out the fakes. I also like that Polestar does monitor the site and does answer technical questions as best they can. Whereas sites like this, are mostly opinion based answers.
Although surprisingly, the knowledge base here is frequently better than you get from the PS workers monitoring the official forum.

#99 · (Edited)
Maybe? But I've seen some incredibly incorrect/stupid remarks on here. Although haven't been keeping score to make that judgement?

That said, I'm sure the Polestar rep on the official forum, is (legally) hamstrung by what they are allowed to say, or commit on. What I do know is that if asked a question, but they don't know the answer to, they don't speculate (which is what you find a lot of on this Forum), and do eventually respond back.

#101 ·
It seems most of us are using this forum because we love our Polestars. The negative skew might actually be due the fact that many of us are experiencing the same issues, glitches, and lack of satisfactory service/repair (at least in the U.S.).

I referred my neighbor as well as others to purchase a Polestar 2 over my first year of ownership, however, after experiencing the lack of service and Polestar's failure to repair anything along with constant glitches and issues, I can no longer recommend Polestar.

The Polestar 2 is great when it is functioning as designed, which is not most of the time in my case. I get the sense Polestar and Volvo are trying to "fake it until they make it" in the EV realm.

Reactions: CQP*2
#102 ·
I've had my own journey, generally on the fanboy side of the axis, but definitely veering at times into the frustration of 'wtf why haven't they fixed X yet?!?'

I'm now decidedly past the honeymoon phase, and also past the 'am I really with them??' phase, and now back in the solidly happy phase of the relationship.

And I think I'm good because I really don't expect them to fix anything software related. I'm confident the glitches will remain and future OTAs may even reveal further glitchiness (on my leased car, since the last OTA, my driver side mirror now doesn't unfold about 25% of the time.... so I turned off the 'fold on lock' function. the same car's rear view cam is borderline useless at startup, only settling out like 20s into the process when I'm already done reversing).
Hardware stuff, like a rattle or busted shock, I do expect them to fix and fix right while the car is under warranty at least. I've had a few fixes done and my cars are now fine from on the hardware side, or at least there's nothing annoying to me there.

But on the software side, it's clearly not their thing.
Their strengths are design, tuning, and sustainability. And my cars look great. Drive great. And Polestar/Volvo have the most well defined commitment to sustainability of any OEM out there.

They keep on trying to claim some prowess on the 'technology' or 'innovation' side but honestly I haven't seen it. Their best move was outsourcing infotainment to Google and now with the P*4 outsourcing ADAS to Mobileye (TBD, but I'm willing to bet that will prove to be better than the suites in the P*2 or P*3) - and then maybe providing their own skin onto those software packages, like they provide their own tuning of Volvo's hardware like suspension/chassis/brakes/tires/etc.
Let's see if they can find a similar outsourcing partner for the app! (or hopefully SEA just fixes that).

So basically: stop worrying (about the software) and love the bomb car.

#104 ·
Fair point, however, I will argue Polestar is doing one of the poorest jobs right now; better than the Cadillac Lyriq roll-out but that is not saying much. My experience was pretty great until the vehicle actually required service.

#106 ·
Fair point, however, I will argue Polestar is doing one of the poorest jobs right now; better than the Cadillac Lyriq roll-out but that is not saying much. My experience was pretty great until the vehicle actually required service.
Well... at least you can get a Lyriq serviced at the many Cadillac dealers around. But I do agree that Polestar is having more trouble with service than most. But other new start ups (Rivian, Lucid, Fisker, etc.) are in the same boat. Even Tesla service is not great. If you don't have an established dealer network in the US, the existing dealers will do their best to keep you down.

#107 ·
We also owned an R1T, service was a PITA due distance of Rivian Service Center, however, they made a real effort to actual make repairs and ensure customer satisfaction. Rivian also uses rentals rather loaners in our experiences, but they handled the rental return for us.

I think what aggravates me most about Polestar is being told one thing on the phone (ion you can speak to anyone), then realizing literally no repairs occurred while they held the vehicle for 3-weeks. Polestar U.S. seems to be trying to hold service centers accountable, but they really have no means to do so effectively, so they offer a couple grand for your trouble to try and run-out the clock on Lemon Law buybacks.

#108 ·
We also owned an R1T, service was a PITA due distance of Rivian Service Center, however, they made a real effort to actual make repairs and ensure customer satisfaction. Rivian also uses rentals rather loaners in our experiences, but they handled the rental return for us.

I think what aggravates me most about Polestar is being told one thing on the phone (ion you can speak to anyone), then realizing literally no repairs occurred while they held the vehicle for 3-weeks. Polestar U.S. seems to be trying to hold service centers accountable, but they really have no means to do so effectively, so they offer a couple grand for your trouble to try and run-out the clock on Lemon Law buybacks.
I agree it's a mixed bag. I've had really good experiences with PS service and loaners so far 🤞

#111 ·
That's why Polestar needs to establish their own service centers. And build them top tier. I wouldn't buy a Rivian for the same reason.... lack of service centers

Reactions: Knightlord
#123 ·
Well @Meatball I hear you, but the truth is, if you want to build a truly successful company (and product), you have to take risks. Even if your product is not perfect, for people to adopt it you need build services around it, and one of those services is repair facilities. Continually build better software, app support and service. Every company starts with small numbers, this is the time to swim, or sink. If you don't distinguish yourself from the competition, chances are you will sink. The problem with using dealership networks for repair is that number 1, they (dealerships) only care about their bottom line, and 2, dealerships change hands frequently. And when they change hands, the philosophy of the new owner(s) may not match that of Polestars. Just a thought

#124 ·
Online, I hear (on YouTube) and read about a LOT of complaints from Hyundai I5 owners, in particular, about Hyundai service. First being, that most Hyundai "dealerships" are not EV qualified, and therefore, are not authorized to service the I5 or I6. Secondly, customers who do get servicing from select (authorized) dealerships, talk about getting a lot of run-around and dissatisfaction from Hyundai service.

#127 · (Edited)
Well @Meatball I hear you, but the truth is, if you want to build a truly successful company (and product), you have to take risks. Even if your product is not perfect, for people to adopt it you need build services around it, and one of those services is repair facilities. Continually build better software, app support and service. Every company starts with small numbers, this is the time to swim, or sink. If you don't distinguish yourself from the competition, chances are you will sink. The problem with using dealership networks for repair is that number 1, they (dealerships) only care about their bottom line, and 2, dealerships change hands frequently. And when they change hands, the philosophy of the new owner(s) may not match that of Polestars. Just a thought
I can only write from my own experiences and while Audi, BMW, Land Rover, and Porsche might not manufacture the most reliable vehicles, the service centers I have engaged with in the Carolinas provided me a "premium" experience. I can't speak to the rest of the United States and I am not really a fan of the dealership model.

#128 ·
I can only write from my own experiences and while Audi, BMW, Land Rover, and Porsche might not manufacture the most reliable vehicles, the service centers I have engaged with in the Carolina game me a "premium" experience. I can't speak to the rest of the United States and I am not really a fan of the dealership model.
I can write a whole book on dealerships and how much I hate them. Which is why Polestar needs to break away from them for the service aspect of their business.

Back to dealerships, I'll never in my life buy another car from dealership, no matter how good the car or the car company is. Hyundai is an example. Hyundai is an amazing company and the Ioniq 5 is a great EV, but having to deal with the dealership to buy or lease one is about as fun as pulling a tooth out myself. With no novacaine. I recently ran into an issue where the dealership literally tricked me, when I filed a complaint with Hyundai customer service, her answer was "Each dealership is independently owned and follow their own set of rules. I can only offer you an apology". I'll eventually write a thread on this to tell the whole story

#132 ·
I can only write from my own experiences and while Audi, BMW, Land Rover, and Porsche
High end cars like these (and Lexus, MB, Jag) have always had top notch dealers/service. Volvo cars have always been considered a notch below from these "luxury" brands, and their dealer experiences have also been a notch below. They've strived to change that, but it's a very long process.

#137 ·
At least in Finland, BMW's service is consistently bad, at least when sales is concerned. Rude service, don't call when agreed or etc. (But TBH it's been a few years since I've last needed to interact with them.) Even when escalating rude behaviour to management of a store the response I got was basically "You are allowed to do business with us in the future".

#133 ·
Volvo used to be Subaru - quirky foreign brand that has a particular USP (safety for Volvo, AWD for Subaru) with some cars that appeal to the granola yuppies (wagons!) and others to enthusiasts (polestar, wrx)

Geely wants to help them go upmarket and be their version of Audi. Maybe that’ll work in the EU and even in China. But the dealer network will be what gets in the way of that reformulation in the U.S.

at the least I expect Volvo will have a better time of it in the US compared to Kia’s ambitions to move upmarket!

Reactions: Meatball
#134 ·
Volvo used to be Subaru - quirky foreign brand that has a particular USP (safety for Volvo, AWD for Subaru) with some cars that appeal to the granola yuppies (wagons!) and others to enthusiasts (polestar, wrx)

Geely wants to help them go upmarket and be their version of Audi. Maybe that’ll work in the EU and even in China. But the dealer network will be what gets in the way of that reformulation in the U.S.

at the least I expect Volvo will have a better time of it in the US compared to Kia’s ambitions to move upmarket!
Isn't that Genesis? A premium vehicle with a sub premium dealership network

#141 ·
90% of the reason for participating in a forum like this is to discover / share solutions to issues. Some issues (like the one I recently discovered backing out of my driveway in the dark for the first time) need to be fixed by the MFG and a consolidation of opinions helps make that happen. Sure there is a place for cheerleading, but you won't have a lot of participants if everyone sounds like a bunch of sycophants.

#144 ·
^^ Exactly ^^ The buying experience was great. I did everything from my couch, from ordering to financing. When they delivered it, I signed the papers on my couch, they guy showed me the features of the car, and 20 minutes later was on his way.

I fully understand why Polestar uses Volvo dealerships for service, but one thing that confuses me...why is Volvo building pretty much the same cars? My impression is that Polestar was going to be a seperate company that builds EV's, but it seems both companies are building the same cars. It's like Ford and Lincoln. Chevy and GMC. I get asked this question all the time from people, and I don't really have an answer. Maybe financially they still need Volvo is the only thing I can think of