Polestar Forum banner

Observation on negative skew of posts here

41K views 166 replies 57 participants last post by  Dude 
#1 ·
Hey all, just wanted to point something out I've seen here on the forum that may help underscore the impression many of us have that the frequency of negative posts on issues and experiences here on the forum may not be indicative of the actual frequency of problems people are having with the Polestar 2. I have noticed that we have quite a few threads that are initiated with a problem someone is having, usually with a handful of responses either commiserating or offering advice on fixes/mitigations. Maybe a page or two with a few exceptions, and usually consisting of posts from the OP and the 30 or 40 longer term active participants here, plus a few more mixed in.

Then there are a handful of posts that are on topics about anticipating receiving a new car. What boat is it on? What is the website saying? What should I do to prep for the car? And so on. These posts tend to have many different users posting, and run to 10's and even 100's of pages of posts. There are also a few posts plus the "color" threads that were started by the admins that folks who have just received their new car often post photos and participate a bit.

This brings us to my observation: many folks are on here in anticipation of their car, soaking up information while anxiously awaiting their new ride. Once they have the car, and have basked in the glory of sharing their new pride and joy here, their participation fades away as the need for the forum disappears - they don't have any issues and now can enjoy their car and go on about their lives. The minority of folks with problems will land here by doing a search, or they'll remember how helpful the forum was and come back for advice.

Note that this isn't new to product forums in general, and many of us who have participated in online communities centered on a product recognize the behavior and understand the bias. I just wanted to reinforce for anyone new to the forum (and product fora in general) that this is a common attribute and to not be unduly concerned with the negative skew. The car has been good for most of us, and folks without issues tend to not post here. There are always exceptions (like me!) but don't be overly concerned with what you see here.

BTW, I will say that this particular forum is better than most: the amount of good information, advice, and general helpfulness is quite good. And the folks here are for the most part friendly and polite.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks Mick for the reminder.

Should note that for all my TCAM whining here we have 2 cars, still love them, and depending on how things go could very end up keeping both of them long term. it’s pretty much the best car for us still, 2y after launch, even with all the other options that have come since.

#4 ·
Internet, and media is all about the problems sadly.
If you look at news from Sweden you would never dare to go here since it seems like its a civil war going on with gun violence totally out of control.
In reality its the most peachful place on earth and 99,99% of the population is not in gunfights.

On internet the problem always seems worse too when the same three people with the same issue keeps posting and popping up everywhere and makes it look like much more people are affected then there really is.

IF an issue is on ALL cars, everybody would be on this forum!

#5 ·
I feel like you're right, and also the main reason for most to stay on forums after ownership in my experience is the help factor when things go wrong, along with sharing modifications.

I think that there are just genuinely less things to go wrong with an EV, and even less with one that has been built well like the Polestar. There is also much less for those of us that are used to endlessly modifying their cars to do.

I believe this leads to a stronger fall-off on longer term owners, apart from some of the die-hards. I know I've fallen off posting as much, because there is just nothing going wrong with it, and not much exciting to be done by way of mods.

Just my 2c anyway.

#7 ·
I think the reality is PS in a new approach and new vehicle. Unfortunately in the UK, they have no actual Customer service or customer focus which means a lose lose. I really wish they'd hire people from Customer focussed firms and they'd focus on the great product they have and a great service wrap - This could be a game changing company and product. Fingers crossed

#64 ·
I totally agree with you @AndyH. Polestar’s lack of customer focus could become their downfall. I had endless issues getting my Polestar 2. Literally months of grief with customer service. Now that I have the car and really like it - couldn’t be happier with the car, the problems being caused by the company continue to the point of needing to seek legal assistance. I may end up having to get rid of the car to ‘solve’ all of the company errors. I can’t say enough good about the car but the opposite of the company and their service sadly.

#8 ·
Hi Mick.
My car is now just over 2 years old with over 32k miles on the clock. I’ve had plenty of issues but this is still 100% the best car I‘ve owned. Been driving my dad’s car for a week (as my boot won’t open). His car cost the same as mine new, which I find unbelievable as it’s a piece of crap in comparison. To be fair, after a week driving my P2, my dad agrees that it’s a far superior drive.

#41 ·
Hi Mick.
My car is now just over 2 years old with over 32k miles on the clock. I’ve had plenty of issues but this is still 100% the best car I‘ve owned. Been driving my dad’s car for a week (as my boot won’t open). His car cost the same as mine new, which I find unbelievable as it’s a piece of crap in comparison. To be fair, after a week driving my P2, my dad agrees that it’s a far superior drive.
I had a brand new V60 XC as a loaner for a week. I really enjoyed getting my P2 back! What a difference :love:

#12 ·
Well I am of two minds regarding -ve and +ve posts. I love driving the Polestar when it goes! However we have been plagued with problems and it has left us stuck in the middle of nowhere when it has become un-drivable. When it does go nothing ever works 100% - there are always errors (SOS error, sensors not working, internet out, charging limit etc etc.) It goes on and on. So we have finally decided to sell our Polestar once we have it working 100% - which leaves us a small window of opportunity to do so! Yes it's a great car but way too unreliable. My advice for any prospective buyers is to wait a couple more years until the software bugs are ironed out. We may well purchase one in the future but right now we will be pleased to see it go. We have done over 20,000kms so have given it our best shot. So I would like to read a few more +ve posts as I'm afraid I don't have many +ve things to say apart from they are great to drive.

#16 ·
The point I was making in my post is exactly this: there are some who have bad experiences - I'm not trying to downplay that and it's horrible if it's you who has the issues. That's why lemon laws are there if the manufacturer doesn't/can't/won't make it right for you. But I still think it is a small minority who experience the issues. Most are just enjoying their car and have no real reason to come here and hang with us.

Wait...does that mean I need to get a life? @JRRF, help me out here. :eek:

#19 ·
Not been on here for ages so having just read Mick's comments have to agree. My Polestar 2 delivered start of March 2021. Issues on delivery yes but resolved swiftlyish! and now had zero issues in last 19 months (including no TCAM issues). Car was taken on a short 2 year lease due to reading about issues on forums and my concern that i might end up with a lemon but have just started discussions to extend the lease for another 12 months as totally happy with the car. Now off to find a piece of wood to touch in case i jinxed the car by saying no problems!!

#22 ·
I think the balance is just about right on this forum yet I find it surprising how tolerant of failure and defensive of the brand some people can be although I guess that is typical forum behaviour. Of course the fact that it is such an amazing car to drive helps but having only ever had one problem (frayed wiring loom supplying the rear lights on a 530D Touring) in over 20 years of BMW ownership, a brand which doesn't rank highly in reliability tables, the various niggles with my Polestar have tainted the ownership experience a little. Given that I got the car two years ago I knew far less than I know now about the reliability of EVs in general, having naively assumed that the absence of an internal combustion engine would surely result in better reliability compared with a hybrid.

So if any ICE driver asks I give an enthusiastic recommendation about the design, driving experience and running costs tempered with a little caution about the known problems set in the wider context of EV reliability in general. It only takes one instance of the car being totally unresponsive to dent one's confidence in its reliability.

#24 ·
I love the car when it works. It’s actually the first car I’ve ever liked without modifications in a very long time.
The QC problems are real though. My local space recently received a delivery and their service bay has a long line of new vehicles needing something. You can see the notes on the windows. It’s a good sign that they’re catching some of these before delivery. I’m sure a lot is still being missed. Especially when there’s issues they haven’t found root cause for. They’re basically hoping the end user will find it for them. I have one of these issues. The service center escalated the issue they best they could but the head regional engineer had no clue what to look for. Ultimately told them to release the vehicle to the customer.
If we can find common faults and document what solutions did and did not work, we can help each other and Polestar.
Haven’t said all that, non of us signed up to be their QA team. These vehicles aren’t inexpensive. Polestar needs to spend more on QA in house.

#25 ·
Hey all, just wanted to point something out I've seen here on the forum that may help underscore the impression many of us have that the frequency of negative posts on issues and experiences here on the forum may not be indicative of the actual frequency of problems people are having with the Polestar 2. I have noticed that we have quite a few threads that are initiated with a problem someone is having, usually with a handful of responses either commiserating or offering advice on fixes/mitigations. Maybe a page or two with a few exceptions, and usually consisting of posts from the OP and the 30 or 40 longer term active participants here, plus a few more mixed in.

Then there are a handful of posts that are on topics about anticipating receiving a new car. What boat is it on? What is the website saying? What should I do to prep for the car? And so on. These posts tend to have many different users posting, and run to 10's and even 100's of pages of posts. There are also a few posts plus the "color" threads that were started by the admins that folks who have just received their new car often post photos and participate a bit.

This brings us to my observation: many folks are on here in anticipation of their car, soaking up information while anxiously awaiting their new ride. Once they have the car, and have basked in the glory of sharing their new pride and joy here, their participation fades away as the need for the forum disappears - they don't have any issues and now can enjoy their car and go on about their lives. The minority of folks with problems will land here by doing a search, or they'll remember how helpful the forum was and come back for advice.

Note that this isn't new to product forums in general, and many of us who have participated in online communities centered on a product recognize the behavior and understand the bias. I just wanted to reinforce for anyone new to the forum (and product fora in general) that this is a common attribute and to not be unduly concerned with the negative skew. The car has been good for most of us, and folks without issues tend to not post here. There are always exceptions (like me!) but don't be overly concerned with what you see here.

BTW, I will say that this particular forum is better than most: the amount of good information, advice, and general helpfulness is quite good. And the folks here are for the most part friendly and polite.
Great post. I try and stay positive. The Polestar 2 is an amazing achievement for Volvo/Geely. Out of the box a very good EV with great design and performance. Given the prices of Teslas, with their ‘minimalist’ design (some call it bland), I think Polestar is well set, and the P3 looks stunning.

The forum has been great in helping to understand various issues and functionality. Most people on here are helpful and are happy to share their knowledge. As a discovery tool the forum will have a skew toward solutions to problems, but I think that is normal.

Let’s keep it going!

#26 ·
Good topic by OP, I have recently joined the site after ordering DMLR, PPP, Leather, Magnesium (expected Mar ‘23)

After recently rejecting my VW Golf R due to issues, I think all manufacturers now are seeing-more teething issues with software and Connectivity across the board.

The problem is the techs and support teams are only seeing most of these issues in the real world for a short time. The manufacturers then need a fix which takes ages to roll out in real time and causes the issues/concerns vocalised on the forums.

I do tend to try and avoid ordering an early phase car, after my now sadly departed Focus RS had 2 full engines changes after 18 months :LOL:
I’m hoping my car is a wee bit down the line and most of the early teething issues are resolved.

#30 ·
You're correct, Mick. There is no perfect car and most of the bugs I've had were software related. Most cured by a reset. Yes, annoying, but so far easy fixes. However, mechanically the car has been flawless and after nearly 9,000 miles, I still love it. Still, others have had more severe issue and I understand the desire to vent about these and seek feedback. Ultimately, whether I do another Polestar in the future is a question mark right now, but I will probably never buy another pure ICE vehicle.

#31 ·
Reading posts here about random TCAM outages is informative. I have an overseas trip planned and would normally park at airport but I am cautious to do so as last thing I want on return from trip is an unresponsive car. This can happen with an ICE (a flat 12v battery can be jump started and airport carpark is set up for this scenario). I may be over cautious but I would need too see some kind of general resolution of TCAM issue / mitigations to avoid this failure and the posts here give me some idea (outages post updates etc.)

#32 ·
I think most of the issues reported on this forum with the Polestar 2 are software and/or comms related. It's a sign of the times really as all car manufacturers transition from analogue designs, and will take a while for these new generation systems to properly mature. Software related issues appear to affect pretty much all car manufacturers EVs, ICE and hybrid vehicles because ALL types of car are moving to a more software defined architecture. Unfortunately, we are all living through this painful transition stage right now. Given this, and outside of the TCAM issues, I'm actually amazed that Polestars don't exhibit many more common software related issues.

#38 ·
Agreed. And they will all be iterating and making progress on a relatively similar time scale. Of the major players, it's unlikely that we'll see one or more way ahead of the pack or one or more way behind the pack. As for what that timeline might look like, Tesla's been doing this for more than a decade and they still have a long way to go.