Polestar Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which of the two have people gone for with thete polestars? I already have a smart meter so that part is taken car of, we have 2 electric cars in the house my polestar and a vw id3 and we normally charge on alternative nights

·
Registered
328 Posts
Which of the two have people gone for with thete polestars? I already have a smart meter so that part is taken car of, we have 2 electric cars in the house my polestar and a vw id3 and we normally charge on alternative nights
At the moment it mostly depends on your ability to minimise electricity use between 1600 and 1700 hrs. Agile has been hitting the 35p/kWh cap frequently recently and non peak rates have rarely been low enough to compensate. If you’re starting out I would suggest Go or Go Faster at the moment, have a look at Agile in the spring when wholesale rates may be lower.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have been with Elf last 18months with my i3 but will review the market now that the P2 is due.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
If you need a guaranteed nightly charge then get GO.

If you charge once a week, so can wait for that cheap night, and can shift all heavy electrical loads like Ovens, DW, WM, Heaters ... away from 4pm - 7pm ... then Agile.

----

I went on Agile. In Oct/Nov/Dec I saved a total of £19 on Agile over Go. In January I spent £17 more on Agile than GO. February so far I've spent £2 more on Agile than I would have on GO.

Basically everything I saved last year has been lost in Jan/Feb. So goes to show how good or bad some months can be.

For me this a year's experiment. If after a year I've saved more on Agile I'll stay on it ... if I've lost I'll switch.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Agile has been horribly expensive recently, so I switched to Go.
There is always this option ... to switch back and forth. For me it's extra head ache and I'm hoping with March close by those winds will come back 🤩

·
Super Moderator
1,354 Posts
You can switch once every 30 days. I'm going to analyse my usage in one year and see if there's a strategy - maybe December > March on Go and the rest of the year on Agile or something...

·
Registered
240 Posts
At the moment it mostly depends on your ability to minimise electricity use between 1600 and 1700 hrs. Agile has been hitting the 35p/kWh cap frequently recently and non peak rates have rarely been low enough to compensate. If you’re starting out I would suggest Go or Go Faster at the moment, have a look at Agile in the spring when wholesale rates may be lower.
^This. I've been on Go for a couple of years now - because we're got an electric oven which is used every evening during those peak hours, Agile just wouldn't work out. I think even if you can shift your demand, to "win" with Agile over Go you have to be willing to be always thinking and planning around prices. Some people relish that, for me I'm happier not having to think about it and just know I've got those cheap 4 hours every night. It's tempting when you see those days where Agile owners are getting paid to use electricity, but from the couple of occasions where Octopus has given everyone free electricity for a few hours a day, even by trying to use as much as possible the saving is just a matter of a few pence (though I do appreciate this adds up over time).

If you do want to play the system, Octopus don't seem to have any issue with people switching to Agile for the spring/summer months and then back to Go for the winter.

I eventually ended up getting a Tesla Powerwall, and then Go was the only option that really made sense as the battery predicts how much solar I'm likely to get over the coming day compared to my normal demand, then tops itself up from the mains during the Go off-peak hours to ensure that I've got enough energy from solar/battery for the day ahead without having to draw any more from the mains, so basically all the energy I need either comes from solar or from my battery that I've filled at cheap rate. That only works because I can tell the Powerwall when Go's off-peak period is, it wouldn't work with the variability of Agile.

·
Registered
231 Posts
With the milder weather and a few windy night s the Agile tariff is getting a little better.

Last night it was around 3p / kWh.

Worth keeping an eye on if your a switcher. In two months this is the first time it might make sense.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
January defiantly wasn't a good time on Agile, It lost me all the saving I'd made in Oct-Dec - Save £17 in Oct-Dec, lose £17 just in January.

February, thanks to last night, looks like I should break even between Agile or Go!

As I may have mentioned above, Agile is a year long experiment for me ... so wasn't going to switch to Go just for a few £'s of savings in January.

As it stands right now, I'm breaking even between being on Go or Agile for 4-5 months use, will try and remember to keep this updated after the year.

Reactions: Lambo

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
615 Posts
January defiantly wasn't a good time on Agile, It lost me all the saving I'd made in Oct-Dec - Save £17 in Oct-Dec, lose £17 just in January.

February, thanks to last night, looks like I should break even between Agile or Go!

As I may have mentioned above, Agile is a year long experiment for me ... so wasn't going to switch to Go just for a few £'s of savings in January.

As it stands right now, I'm breaking even between being on Go or Agile for 4-5 months use, will try and remember to keep this updated after the year.
Thanks for being the guinea pig 😝. I started on agile as mentioned above but the high daily prices whilst working at home didn’t stack up. As you say prices changing and summer will see the wholesale prices fall. Will be interested to see how this goes. For me the 4hr 5p rate is perfect for juicing up the car and running delayed cycles on my white goods.

·
Registered
532 Posts

I work at a power station, and January was a tight month for power in the UK so not much excess about for your Agile tariffs. A couple of capacity market warnings in the month where demand the next day was predicted to exceed supply, within day it got close on some days (within 500MW margin). Prices usually average around £40MWh went to up nearly £4000MWh on the really tight days.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Thanks for being the guinea pig 😝. I started on agile as mentioned above but the high daily prices whilst working at home didn’t stack up. As you say prices changing and summer will see the wholesale prices fall. Will be interested to see how this goes. For me the 4hr 5p rate is perfect for juicing up the car and running delayed cycles on my white goods.
No problem being the guinea pig.

I've always said, if you need those 4 hours most nights then get GO.

If like me you only need 1-2 charges max per week (plus Like last night, we have 6-7 hours of 5p or less ... means even once a week is doable, but I like to keep 60-80% in the tank for emergency drives.

Reactions: smithers197

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,867 Posts
Not that you need to pay for any electricity for a year, with that list of referrals! Good work :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts