Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice from the charging gurus please...

I'm starting from nothing, so going for a completely new set up - new supplier and a 7kW charger. I'm interested in Octopus Agile to take advantage of the undulating tariffs (noting @GDank 's excellent thread on the topic)

I'm going to install onto a new garage I'm building and lean towards a clean looking install.

I'm struggling to nail down my options, apologies if I've missed the info on existing threads.

As far as I can make out, I could go for:

a) Any untethered charger, paired with an ohme lead

b) A Rolec homesmart charger, controlled by the ev.energy app (I'd proably go tethered)

c) A zappi charger (again probably tethered)

Have I missed any alternatives? Seems to me there are few suppliers that have built against the Agile API to date.

Options a-c are fine, really but would prefer something as clean looking at the Andersen.

Any ideas or tips?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If you want the hassle free experience for Agile, then the OHME is the one to go for. I'm sure you can get a Type 2 or a Commando Socket version. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you set the highest amount you'll willing to pay, plug it in every night, and just leave it.

I have the Anderson A2. Ok I've only used it for 1min to test, but Tonight from 10:30 to 8:30 it's less than 5p, so have the car on a Scheduled charge! Will report how it goes.

So with the A2 I have to set up a new schedule charge or alter an old one. So a little work to track and then set up. If you was on Go and daily charged, the A2 would be perfect.

The A2 does need a Wi-Fi connection ... so test your phone where you would want the charger to go.

The Zappi is good option in general, and really good if you have high electrical loads at night and don't want your EV to Trip your main incoming breaker.

Rolec seem to melt a lot ... one Electrician on YouTube wont' recommend them now.

There are other options here:-

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you want the hassle free experience for Agile, then the OHME is the one to go for. I'm sure you can get a Type 2 or a Commando Socket version. I'm not 100% sure, but I believe you set the highest amount you'll willing to pay, plug it in every night, and just leave it.

I have the Anderson A2. Ok I've only used it for 1min to test, but Tonight from 10:30 to 8:30 it's less than 5p, so have the car on a Scheduled charge! Will report how it goes.

So with the A2 I have to set up a new schedule charge or alter an old one. So a little work to track and then set up. If you was on Go and daily charged, the A2 would be perfect.

The A2 does need a Wi-Fi connection ... so test your phone where you would want the charger to go.

The Zappi is good option in general, and really good if you have high electrical loads at night and don't want your EV to Trip your main incoming breaker.

Rolec seem to melt a lot ... one Electrician on YouTube wont' recommend them now.

There are other options here:-

Thank you Gdank, speedy and helpful response.

I like the idea of setting it and leaving it and thus getting the cheapest charging without the overhead I.e. one of the agile options, as you say probably the ohme.

But it’s hard not to be drawn in by the A2! I guess you use Andersen app for the scheduling?
very interested to hear how you go tonight.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have installed a commando socket and purchased the home smart lead, this will give 7kw just the same output as a fixed charger at a much less outlay of only £199 via octopus plus cost of commando socket install. Just need my P2 to fully test it out.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I’m pleased with the Andersen but I only got it on Friday! One of the best things about it for me is the optional longer 8.5m cable (that rolls up inside) as the port on a P2 is at the back so you can park either way round on your drive!

I’ve used the scheduling once (with Octopus Go) and it worked fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have installed a commando socket and purchased the home smart lead, this will give 7kw just the same output as a fixed charger at a much less outlay of only £199 via octopus plus cost of commando socket install. Just need my P2 to fully test it out.
Thanks Michael, could be a good call. Very economical way of doing it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’m pleased with the Andersen but I only got it on Friday! One of the best things about it for me is the optional longer 8.5m cable (that rolls up inside) as the port on a P2 is at the back so you can park either way round on your drive!

I’ve used the scheduling once (with Octopus Go) and it worked fine.

View attachment 1743

View attachment 1744
Very slick set up.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I did the first proper trial of scheduling with my Andersen last night on the octopus go cheap rate from 00:30 to 04:30. The schedule worked great but the car ignored the % charge limit I’d set (as others have seen I think).

But at 7kW it will add about 10% charge per hour so I plan on setting up 4 schedules of between 1 and 4 hours duration, and I can just use the one that matches how much charge I want to add (until such time that the car gets an update that fixes the limit bug!)
(I posted in another thread about scheduling):

Reactions: yonder71

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've also done Ohme and commando socket. The app isn't great for giving lots of stats or a detailed graph that you can easily read, but it is functional. My problem is I'm still waiting for my smart meter install...at least I finally have a date, Dec 4th.

Ohme also do an integrated unit now, more expensive mind you.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I’ll say!!! That’s very attractive indeed.
So if I understand this, are you using Agile but on a scheduled basis with your A2?
Agile - Yes
Scheduled Charges - Yes

However, I'm manually adjusting the schedules and time and tracking the nightly rates to suit, as I'm not using an OHME cable.

Obviously if I was using the car daily and driving to/from work Octopus Go with a guaranteed £0.05 is between 00:30-04:30 would be much better and less work/hassle.

However I'm going to be using the car 99% at weekends only, so I only need a full charge once per week with maybe one Saturday night. So I'm happy to keep an eye out for a 5p or less night and charge up.

In an emergency the price at night I've not seem peek above 7p. So while not as cheap as the 5p GO cost, GO is only for 4 hours per night, where Agile often gets more hours at a cheaper rate than the default 15p.

For example tonight:-

Again I state Agile isn't for everyone ... especially if you have heavy usage between 4-7pm. (No time line below, can you can easily pick out the 4-7pm times). I've read a in the summer the peak rates at 4-7pm do each the peak capped rate of 35p.

If you do 80 miles or less per day for work or school runs, etc... then get GO. 4 hours a night at 5p will be easy and easily cover 80miles or less per day worth of charge. And the 14-15p standard rate is easy to use what you want, when you want it without blowing your budget - for reference I've seen 18p as a standard day rate on other tariffs! So it's a good fixed rate regardless of the 5p at night.

If you have the option of moving a lot of power away from 4-7pm (Oven's, Washing Machines, Dish Washers, etc..) and/or have the OHME cable then Agile can save you a lot more.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks @GDank!

Yeah - Go is working fine for me at the mo. I can just schedule a charge between 00:30 and 04:30 at 5p/kWh and that will almost definitely be enough to top me up to 80-90%. And the day rate was less than I was paying before anyway (13.96p).

Looking at our usage for the last week or so since the meter started working, we do tend to use a fair bit between 4-7pm, but not loads! So after a while I plan to do a comparison on what it would have cost me on Agile.

Before we got the car, our yearly electricity bill was <£700, anyway so we're not big users anyway. About 4.5MWh/year.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agile - Yes
Scheduled Charges - Yes

However, I'm manually adjusting the schedules and time and tracking the nightly rates to suit, as I'm not using an OHME cable.

Obviously if I was using the car daily and driving to/from work Octopus Go with a guaranteed £0.05 is between 00:30-04:30 would be much better and less work/hassle.

However I'm going to be using the car 99% at weekends only, so I only need a full charge once per week with maybe one Saturday night. So I'm happy to keep an eye out for a 5p or less night and charge up.

In an emergency the price at night I've not seem peek above 7p. So while not as cheap as the 5p GO cost, GO is only for 4 hours per night, where Agile often gets more hours at a cheaper rate than the default 15p.

For example tonight:-

Again I state Agile isn't for everyone ... especially if you have heavy usage between 4-7pm. (No time line below, can you can easily pick out the 4-7pm times). I've read a in the summer the peak rates at 4-7pm do each the peak capped rate of 35p.

If you do 80 miles or less per day for work or school runs, etc... then get GO. 4 hours a night at 5p will be easy and easily cover 80miles or less per day worth of charge. And the 14-15p standard rate is easy to use what you want, when you want it without blowing your budget - for reference I've seen 18p as a standard day rate on other tariffs! So it's a good fixed rate regardless of the 5p at night.

If you have the option of moving a lot of power away from 4-7pm (Oven's, Washing Machines, Dish Washers, etc..) and/or have the OHME cable then Agile can save you a lot more.
Thanks @GDank great synopsis.

I don’t mind following a similar pattern of using some bespoke schedules, if I go that way.
As you say, usage during the 4-7 period and considering the mileage / charging needs are key factors.

Think I’ll get started on go, and get a better understanding of my actual usage first.

Cheers

Ps Planning to use your referral code if that’s ok, if octopus ever pull their finger out and respond to me!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Thanks @GDank great synopsis.
Ps Planning to use your referral code if that’s ok, if octopus ever pull their finger out and respond to me!
Mate we both get £50 off so please use ;-)

I did it all online via the automated system. Their email response times varies from 8h to 48h day to day. The phone isn't that bad if you don't mind waiting 30mins to get an operator.

Do you already have a Smart meter? if not, as soon as the switch is complete you'll need to be on the Fixed tariff until the smart meter is installed, wait a week or two then call for an ETA on meter install. 99% of people that have done this get a date sorted ... if you leave it can take 6+ months.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Mate we both get £50 off so please use ;-)

I did it all online via the automated system. Their email response times varies from 8h to 48h day to day. The phone isn't that bad if you don't mind waiting 30mins to get an operator.

Do you already have a Smart meter? if not, as soon as the switch is complete you'll need to be on the Fixed tariff until the smart meter is installed, wait a week or two then call for an ETA on meter install. 99% of people that have done this get a date sorted ... if you leave it can take 6+ months.
Cheers, thought that might be the case.

No smart meter yet, so thanks for the tip. 6 months is a bit long! I’m in very slow email dialogue with them so think I’ll have to resort to the phone...

·
Registered
351 Posts
It took about 6 weeks for me to get a smart meter from Octopus, but I was already a customer (and then a further ~3 weeks to get readings to come through and get onto "Go").

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
No smart meter yet, so thanks for the tip. 6 months is a bit long! I’m in very slow email dialogue with them so think I’ll have to resort to the phone...
I switched in August & mine was estimated at 6 months.

After the full transfer took place at the beginning of September (takes up to a month to switch) I called them and asked about when I'm I getting a meter? They gave me the whole "Well when they get enough requests in your area, we will do 4-6 in a day in that area" and I'd have to wait. She then went to "Check" ... and on her return she had a date in two weeks time! This isn't that uncommon according to the SpeakEv Forums and UK EV Facebook Group.

So Swap, wait for it to be completed and you are on Fixed rates (which BTW are reasonable and cheaper than my British Gas rates), give it a week or two then call them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts