Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just had the dealer install one, it was quite expensive (close to $3k) with parts and labor (Polestar Boston). If anyone I know is reading this, don't tell my wife! Not sure if it was worth it in materials and labor, but it is a well built and slick system that stows away great. It's factory equipment, so under warranty and will allow me to use a bike rack off the back and tow a small trailer. I'm planning on keeping the car after lease expires so will get plenty of use out of it. Seems like it would be a tricky DYI install. Sounded like they had to modify software and there is a bit of wiring involved.

The hitch on my 3/4 ton pickup was only about $400, easy to install and can tow 9,000lbs. But everything is open under the truck and it's definitely low tech. Sounds like there may be some aftermarket hitches out / coming out for the Polestar 2 which may be a lot cheaper than the factory hitch (I have seen them mentioned in other posts). Good luck with your decision.

For those looking into a factory hitch, before purchasing the car, I think it is significantly less expensive if installed by the dealer before you take delivery of the vehicle. You would order it with other add-ons before the the sale.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There is a wiring harness involved. From my understanding the install is fairly labor intensive. I was quoted around $2800 to have it installed after delivery by my Space (bought a pre-configured car). Besides the labor there is programming that needs to happen; not sure if that is possible to DIY. IRC, someone on here had installed the OEM hitch them selves and then had the Space do the programming. With that said, if you spec out the parts they are quite expensive them selfs ($1500-1800 depending on where you look).

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Not on our Polestar, no. But I did do it myself on our V90cc and the process is virtually identical. It's a couple hours of work, but relatively straight forward. The instruction documentation for the V90 install was VERY good, so I assume the Polestar instructions would be equally as easy to follow.

If you're handy with tools and have done any sort of work on your cars before, then it shouldn't be too bad for you to DIY.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
You need to do a software update though to do it properly, so will need to set up access to VIDA, but fortunately for you in the US, that's easy to do, unlike here in Europe where they make it all but impossible.

Or maybe a space will just do the programming bit for you...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
You need to do a software update though to do it properly, so will need to set up access to VIDA, but fortunately for you in the US, that's easy to do, unlike here in Europe where they make it all but impossible.

Or maybe a space will just do the programming bit for you...
Oh, yeah, I forgot about that bit. My local workshop just loaded that software as part of the next servicing I had, which wasn't long after I did the install. Since they were already doing the other system updates, they didn't charge me for the towbar software. But otherwise, yes, if in the US and you have VIDA you could load it yourself.

·
Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
1,854 Posts
Has anyone installed the oem hitch themselves? Does anyone know if it requires a new rear wiring harness? Looking forward to adding it…
Can you even order all the necessary parts from Polestar? Start there, because the idea might have a short life. If you can, I am sure it’s not that difficult for anyone mechanically inclined. The programming will be trickier … but PS could probably help you with that, or someone with Vida access.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Yep, it's sold as a kit with a single part number and includes everything you need - the mechanical and electrical parts.

Theres a second part number for the software element that needs 'purchasing' via VIDA.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Yeah … thanks for reminding me …😂 …. I asked here again, because no prices were quoted in that thread. Personally, I would be very Leary to order all this stuff from Volvo dealer up here, and hope it all works out after I install it and someone does the VIDA part.

Slick OEM offering was one of the reasons I bought my P2, so it’s not like I need it … but I was hoping some parts prices can be quoted for people who prefer DIY of OEM(buying pre-confit car without one), opposed to non-Polestar solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
First, thanks to all that replied

I note Caseyh in his post above said a wiring harness is required but in stevelup ‘s post (reference to another thread) the parts list in includes a module. No wiring harness…. Any thoughts? I hope at least the four pin trailer plug/connector is part is part of it

·
Registered
59 Posts
First, thanks to all that replied

I note Caseyh in his post above said a wiring harness is required but in stevelup ‘s post (reference to another thread) the parts list in includes a module. No wiring harness…. Any thoughts? I hope at least the four pin trailer plug/connector is part is part of it
Yeah, so I based my statement on the parts list from that thread. Re-posting here for clarification:

32207227 Towing Hook
31454603 Control Unit
31650476 Bracket
31399328 Switch
32207837 Ball
32296756 Bag
32296318 Foldable Towb
From my research, 32207227 is the main assembly that bolts onto the car (example of a used one on Ebay listed for $945), 31454603 is a control unit that has to plug into the car and then plug into the 32207227 assembly, 31650476 is a plastic holder for the control unit, 31399328 is the switch that goes in the side of the trunk and has to be wired into the control unit, , 32207837 is a towing ball that fits into the hitch receiver, 32296756 is the bag to hold 32207837 when not in use, and 32296318's full name is "Foldable Towbar 4/7 Appl. Cable Harness Towbar".

My understanding is that the switch and the main assembly would wire into the Control Unit and the control unit would wire into the car. From the pictures of 32207227 on that ebay listing there are no cables included but there are obviously places for cables to connect.

On another note, I took these part numbers and googled them and cannot get them to come up in US volvo part sites but they do come up in Canadian Volvo parts site (for example 32207227 - Volvo Trailer Hitch. TOWING HOOK | Volvo, Toronto ON). This and that ebay listing shows that 32207227 alone goes for around 900 USD. The Control Unit (31454603) for around 90 USD, The Bracket (31650476) for around 25 USD, the switch (31399328) for around 25 USD, the Ball/Bag for around 115 USD, and I couldn't find a price for the wiring harness (32296318) as it is listed as "no longer available". With that, the parts add up to around$1,155 USD not including the wiring harness.

As another data point; my P2 is currently in getting the OEM folding towbar installed and should be done by Monday/Tuesday next week. When I pick it up I'll try to see if I can get a list of the exact parts they use and see if it list any detailed pricing. They quoted me retail pricing of $2620.43 for parts and labor before tax.

·
Registered
59 Posts
So the plot thickens a little. Volvo Toronto Parts site has 32296318 listed as the wiring harness "Foldable Towbar 4/7 Appl. Cable Harness Towbar." but this bulletin on Polestar vehicle extras says 32296318 is "Software". So maybe the cable harness/software are bundled under the same part number?

Besides that, this bulletin dot.report Bulletins is pretty cool. Seems to confirm all the Polestar part numbers for available extras (Trunk Mat, tow hitch, sunshane, etc).

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
So, it sounds like that if you can get all the parts (whether this is available in stock at the moment might be a different challenge these days) you should be around 1200$ plus tax (assuming the programming is included) … so 1400$ savings … that’s pretty good chunk of cash. Their installed price of 2600$ sounds outrageously greedy… Last time I had local Volvo quote installed hitch for my V60 they wanted C$500 for labour which I thought was not too bad, but they would not do it, since the vehicle was showing in their computer as not compatible, even though I knew V60 cross country was, and it s essentially the same car…🙄… so they forced me to save 500 C$…😂... Ok, why not, eh?

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
That's what's confusing about this. We live in 'rip off Britain' where everything is stupidly expensive, yet the towbar fully fitted at a Volvo main dealer here is £1100 including tax (so about USD 1100 / CAD 1400 plus tax)

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I agree …the US installed price of USD 2600 plus tax is just mind blowing … maybe, it’s a just a sample of one zealous dealer trying to rip a customer right off. There is no other way to explain this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts