·
Registered
113 Posts
I’d be pleased if I got near 233 miles... 😆

·
Registered
'21 P*2, 19", Midnight/leather, +tow
865 Posts
Looks like the XC40 Recharge did even worse. Probably from additional drag.
yeah, esp, as the article notes in comparison to the Model Y, the most efficient and only BEV crossover that’s also apparently a convertible

·
Registered
Snow, slate, ordered Nov 2020
15 Posts
While great to be top in all comparison categories, I am happy to have one of the best in build quality and in the upper half of EPA range estimates. I can manage the range issue but cannot fix the mediocre build and paint quality of he who would not be named

·
Registered
152 Posts
While great to be top in all comparison categories, I am happy to have one of the best in build quality and in the upper half of EPA range estimates. I can manage the range issue but cannot fix the mediocre build and paint quality of he who would not be named
Agreed. It’s also pretty typical for manufacturers to start conservatively and improve range, speed, or both via OTA updates as they get a little more data about real-world usage.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
But don't get your hopes up too much. Our cars have a relatively high drag coefficient and more frontal area. There's a reason why they're called laws of physics.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Agreed... I purchased this car expecting to achieve ~220 in summer and 180 in winter (worst case) based on reviews and similar vehicle comparisons. If it can meet those expectations I'm happy. If I wanted maximum range and EV efficiency I would have bought a Tesla TBH and lived with the questionable build quality. Having recently loaned a Model S and then owning the P*2 I can hand on heart attest the better build quality of the latter. But Polestar needs to improve the functionality and refinement of their software ASAP and I've no doubt that will come... maturity in EV specific optimisation in Google Maps is also a thing. For example, if you're challenging the estimated range on a planned route, a Tesla will advise to not exceed a certain speed to make it all the way... it's the little details like that which will make a difference to your enjoyment of driving, rather than wishing the car was a bit lighter or sleaker.. because not much they can do about that OTA :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's why I got an Ipace last year as well as the styling. I was quite happy to give up some range to have a car i really liked the look of. If I'm spending a lot of $, the car has to look good. There's a reason all the Teslas have somewhat similar shapes and personally I wasn't in love with the look. The most efficient seems to be the Ioniq - again not a pleasing car to my eye. Considering a Polestar when my lease runs out - looks great, nice interior, rangebis fine for my use and less expensive than Ipace.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Agreed. It’s also pretty typical for manufacturers to start conservatively and improve range, speed, or both via OTA updates as they get a little more data about real-world usage.
Yes, but there really isn't a lot of data yet on this concept. We hope Polestar will be able to do the same.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Yes, but there really isn't a lot of data yet on this concept. We hope Polestar will be able to do the same.
No guarantee they will be able to pull a similar move, but it’s not rocket science. Usually it’s a matter of utilizing more of the battery (for example, charging to 90% as standard or running down more of the battery before reading 0%) after observing real-world usage impact.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No guarantee they will be able to pull a similar move, but it’s not rocket science. Usually it’s a matter of utilizing more of the battery (for example, charging to 90% as standard or running down more of the battery before reading 0%) after observing real-world usage impact.
That's a no-brainer. But my understanding was that Tesla tweaked the way the way the motors use energy to get additional range. GM did a hardware update with a change in battery chemistry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the EPA rating of 233 miles is fine. Don't know why the press make it sound so bad? I don't expect to get much more than 200 miles and I'm still perfectly happy with that. If I were a traveling salesperson then that could be problematic but for most of us I'm sure it's more than adequate.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the EPA rating of 233 miles is fine. Don't know why the press make it sound so bad? I don't expect to get much more than 200 miles and I'm still perfectly happy with that. If I were a traveling salesperson then that could be problematic but for most of us I'm sure it's more than adequate.
I can't go more than 200 miles without stopping for relief ;):ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
655 Posts
The XC40 Recharge additionally has a heat pump too, which annoyingly the Polestar 2 doesn't, yet it still manages to be worse than the P*2!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I ran the XC40 Recharge configurator (no US price shown yet) and noticed 'heat pump' is an option, not standard.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts