Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1

Interesting and useful... no timed charging till mid-2021!? That's appalling...

Registered
no timed charging till mid-2021!? That's appalling...
That's... kind of devastating. Charing during peak hours is almost 3x more costly here. I get to pick between that and remembering to go down to the garage to plug in all the time? I'm sorry 鈥 I've been OK with most of the feature delays so far, but if they can't make the fucking fueling of all things work right they shouldn't be selling the car yet. Full stop. The only reason I'm considering not canceling over this is that my driving (and therefore charing) will be pretty limited by pandemic life until well into '21, and because I want the credit on this year's taxes...

Registered
That's... kind of devastating. Charing during peak hours is almost 3x more costly here. I get to pick between that and remembering to go down to the garage to plug in all the time? I'm sorry 鈥 I've been OK with most of the feature delays so far, but if they can't make the fucking fueling of all things work right they shouldn't be selling the car yet. Full stop. The only reason I'm considering not canceling over this is that my driving (and therefore charing) will be pretty limited by pandemic life until well into '21, and because I want the credit on this year's taxes...
this is pretty ridiculous. Perhaps there鈥檚 some technical reason that鈥檚 non obvious but really, scheduling a charge? How hard is that?
what amateur 2bit software engineering team can鈥檛 foresee that this was needed on day 1? And apparently needs the better part of a year to make it happen?

this is not exactly confidence inspiring

polestar: if you鈥檙e listening, you need to do better. Plainly

Registered
The more I think about it, the more bothered I am. It isn鈥檛 hard to code AT ALL and is going to increase either cost or effort of ownership for the better part of a year. My opinion: drop work on all other delayed features besides OTA updates and get this out NOW.

Premium Member
Hang on, brothers. Do we know it's going to take that long, or are we getting all worked up over a rumor?

Registered
Hang on, brothers. Do we know it's going to take that long, or are we getting all worked up over a rumor?
it鈥檚 entirely possible this is 鈥渦nder promise, over deliver鈥
But that timeline is taken exactly from the official FAQ of polestar UK.

if HVAC can be scheduled via app and if charging can be controlled via the touchscreen, then there鈥檚 no reason charging can鈥檛 be scheduled and controlled via the app

Premium Member
it鈥檚 entirely possible this is 鈥渦nder promise, over deliver鈥
But that timeline is taken exactly from the official FAQ of polestar UK.

if HVAC can be scheduled via app and if charging can be controlled via the touchscreen, then there鈥檚 no reason charging can鈥檛 be scheduled and controlled via the app
Yeah. I don't know why this would be difficult.

Registered
So folks don't get me wrong: I'm more very annoyed by this rather than moving towards jumping ship.
I can schedule charging via my EVSE's app so this particular issue doesn't affect me. And our weather is temperate, lessening the need for the HVAC scheduling and remote control.

This just makes it seem like Polestar doesn't have their affairs in order on the software front. Tesla seems overly reliant and focused on software, letting hardware/build quality issues slide and Polestar seems like it's the other way around. With that choice I'd still choose hardware > software, ie Polestar. Just sucks that it seems like we are stuck with those mutually exclusive choices here and further adds to the magnitude of the early adopter tax.

Registered
This just makes it seem like Polestar doesn't have their affairs in order on the software front.
The thing that annoys me most is they're not telling people about these non-functional features until after customers have already started receiving their cars!

Yet again, their communication is horrible.

People are stuck trying this stuff out themselves and then searching for solutions until they finally post this info.

Registered
I spotted Schedule in the Charging menu of the display simulator at the test drive centre at Banbury a week ago. So it鈥檚 not that they haven鈥檛 considered it early enough.

Premium Member
I'd rather have sorted hardware and delayed software than great software now but also with hardware issues now.

Just sayin'.

Registered
I'd rather have sorted hardware and delayed software than great software now but also with hardware issues now.

Just sayin'.
These aren鈥檛 shared engineering resources though, so that鈥檚 a false tradeoff. One of the teams got its stuff done and the other didn鈥檛. And it seems like a 鈥渨e can always update it later鈥 attitude combined with a need to ship product and get the associated cash infusion ASAP is putting half-finished software into consumers鈥 hands. Sure, it鈥檚 better than shipping a mechanically bad car, but it鈥檚 not great. And does make me wonder if the rest of the car wasn鈥檛 similarly rushed out, whereas before I had a bit more confidence that this will not be another Tesla.

I am telling you, if they can鈥檛 run a check on what time it is and send an instruction to charge or not until the middle of next year, something has gone seriously wrong in the development schedule. My guess is that other stuff (OTA, App, Key) is a lot farther behind than they are letting on, to the point that it鈥檚 an all-hands-on-deck situation, and simple features that were intended as fast-follow items and OTA updates are still on the roadmap but haven鈥檛 even been touched yet.

Registered
These aren鈥檛 shared engineering resources though, so that鈥檚 a false tradeoff. One of the teams got its stuff done and the other didn鈥檛. And it seems like a 鈥渨e can always update it later鈥 attitude combined with a need to ship product and get the associated cash infusion ASAP is putting half-finished software into consumers鈥 hands. Sure, it鈥檚 better than shipping a mechanically bad car, but it鈥檚 not great. And does make me wonder if the rest of the car wasn鈥檛 similarly rushed out, whereas before I had a bit more confidence that this will not be another Tesla.

I am telling you, if they can鈥檛 run a check on what time it is and send an instruction to charge or not until the middle of next year, something has gone seriously wrong in the development schedule. My guess is that other stuff (OTA, App, Key) is a lot farther behind than they are letting on, to the point that it鈥檚 an all-hands-on-deck situation, and simple features that were intended as fast-follow items and OTA updates are still on the roadmap but haven鈥檛 even been touched yet.
My guess the problem lies ultimately with Google. Volvo has their own apps for controlling remote unlock/start and HVAC preconditioning for Volvo cars, and the Polestar 1 phone-as-a-key is already out (if I understand correctly). The whole release-and-fix-later thing sounds much more Google than Volvo. And I guess the folks at Polestar trusted that Google would get the job done, because they're Google. But, I guess at a last minute they discovered some security-related issue or similar, causing all the delays. And Google is now demanding a fairly extended timeline of half a year to sort it all out.

That all said, I still don't get it. Once you're able to securely push OTA updates, unlock the car remotely, and even start the HVAC remotely, doesn't seem that much harder to control the current being drawn from the wall charger and set a timer for it (assuming that module works from the on-screen controls...). If in order to maintain the handshake of the connection you need to set the amps to like 0.1 A, I think people would accept that or not even notice. So enabling this should happen within days/weeks of enabling OTA/remote-HVAC, not months.

tl;dr WTF google/polestar

Registered
Alane told me (and I think others) that the US software is not the same. He told me that the OTA issue would not be present in the US version - I asked who pays when I need the update. I also do not see this FAQ on the US version of the site (is it there?). I wonder if the US version will have some of these other features.

Registered
In the email that all P2 owners in Germany received a few days ago it clearly states that timed charging will only be available end of 2020 (in vehicle programming). I posted a translation elsewhere on this forum (under the updates topic)

Registered
History repeating itself here? The Model S has autopilot but Tesla struggled (and still are?) to get it working in the M3. Polestar have phone app etc running in the P1 and are struggling to get it into the P2.

Registered
In the email that all P2 owners in Germany received a few days ago it clearly states that timed charging will only be available end of 2020 (in vehicle programming). I posted a translation elsewhere on this forum (under the updates topic)
That is at variance with the statement on the UK Polestar support site. Unless, that is, the wording in the email was 鈥from end 2020鈥.

Registered
That all said, I still don't get it. Once you're able to securely push OTA updates, unlock the car remotely, and even start the HVAC remotely, doesn't seem that much harder to control the current being drawn from the wall charger and set a timer for it (assuming that module works from the on-screen controls...). If in order to maintain the handshake of the connection you need to set the amps to like 0.1 A, I think people would accept that or not even notice. So enabling this should happen within days/weeks of enabling OTA/remote-HVAC, not months.
tl;dr WTF google/polestar
As I am presently charging from a socket, I experimented with turning the power on, off, on, off several times. There could be a delay of 30 seconds before car started to charge again after powering off and on. This was with the car locked. If I opened the car and sat in the seat, then it started to complain and not work properly.

So tonight is the first real test with a timer clock on the power cable, 1.30 am it should turn on, and 8.30 turn off. (my cheap power rate)

I am due to purchase a 7KW charger, so looks like I need to make sure I purchase one that can do this as well. The chargers we have in Europe/UK seem to be sophisticated in that they integrate with Solar, and also monitor the load in the rest of the house, slowing down charging if the house starts using too much power. Some also have OTA updates.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts