Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I had my commando socket installed it turned out the display on my Ohme wasn't working. The app charge status isn't great so based on the car info and that, the charge speed seemed good enough. Now that I have my Ohme back from being repaired I can see it's reading around 30amps and 6.7kw instead of 7+.

Anyone with an Ohme and P*2 can you confirm if you regularly see higher values than the below before I have the electrician come back out?

·
Registered
289 Posts
The charger doesn't control the actual charging current, the car does. The Ohme is just reporting two things to you here.

1) It's set to 32A - so it will tell the car that's the maximum it can deliver
2) The car is consuming 30.1A

I can't see what an electrician could do here - it's the car demanding 30.1A - nothing anyone has any control over.

What was the state of charge of the car when you took that photo? How long had it been charging for?

I'm confused by the other numbers on the display to be honest. It says it's been charging for 1hr20 but in that time has only delivered 0.246kWh - well that makes no sense.

Your supply voltage is pretty low at 224V - it's within spec, but low. Depending on the charger topology, that could be restricting things. Unlikely, but a possibility.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm confused by the other numbers on the display to be honest. It says it's been charging for 1hr20 but in that time has only delivered 0.246kWh - well that makes no sense.
It might be that the Ohme cable is reporting the time it has been smart charging, i.e. plugged in with a schedule running.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Could be, yes. Also, unless 'max charge' has been enabled, the Ohme will modulate the charge current as well and this could also explain why the full 32A is not being delivered.

I'd start with a warm, half full battery, 'max charge' mode enabled on the Ohme and see what happens. If it's still 30.1A, then I reckon my hunch that the charging power is being limited by the low voltage is probably the explanation.

There's nothing that can be done about that, so might as well just forget about it and enjoy the car and the 30.1A charging :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe the time was how long it had been plugged in as it had only just kicked on since it hit my economy 7 discounted rate and started charging. The rate of charge started very low and worked its way up to that 30amp level where it remained fairly static.

Thanks for confirming on 224v, it's a long cable run, but a chunky armoured cable and on a 40amp breaker.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could be, yes. Also, unless 'max charge' has been enabled, the Ohme will modulate the charge current as well and this could also explain why the full 32A is not being delivered.

I'd start with a warm, half full battery, 'max charge' mode enabled on the Ohme and see what happens. If it's still 30.1A, then I reckon my hunch that the charging power is being limited by the low voltage is probably the explanation.

There's nothing that can be done about that, so might as well just forget about it and enjoy the car and the 30.1A charging :)
Good call, I'll try that.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You would need to have someone measure your power supply at the incomer, and at the car end whilst charging to establish if the voltage drop is happening inside your property or you just simply have a low supply voltage.

If the voltage drop exceeds the system design calculation then there may be a high resistance connection somewhere which is a fire hazard.

·
Registered
203 Posts
You would need to have someone measure your power supply at the incomer, and at the car end whilst charging to establish if the voltage drop is happening inside your property or you just simply have a low supply voltage.

If the voltage drop exceeds the system design calculation then there may be a high resistance connection somewhere which is a fire hazard.
I had my main fuse changed two days ago. What a faff, two guys to change it. Photos before and after, lots of form signing at each stage. Must have taken an hour to unplug the fuse and plug a new one in. The upside is I now know my power supply is 240 Volt on entry to the property.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts

Should be easy to check both voltages without running around. Check the voltage at a nearby receptacle. If there's no load on that circuit, it will match the voltage back at the panel. (No load equals no current equals no drop.)

·
Registered
289 Posts
Should be easy to check both voltages without running around. Check the voltage at a nearby receptacle. If there's no load on that circuit, it will match the voltage back at the panel. (No load equals no current equals no drop.)
Sure, but you'd still need to measure it at the charger with the same test instrument, and the only way to do that would be to open it up and expose the live connections. There's no point in comparing the readout on the Ohme with a multimeter elsewhere as you don't know how accurate the Ohme is (or for that matter, the other test device).

So unless Fishouttawater is comfortable doing this, and has a decent CAT II multimeter with quality probes, this is still going to end up being a job for a professional.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sure, but you'd still need to measure it at the charger with the same test instrument, and the only way to do that would be to open it up and expose the live connections. There's no point in comparing the readout on the Ohme with a multimeter elsewhere as you don't know how accurate the Ohme is (or for that matter, the other test device).

So unless Fishouttawater is comfortable doing this, and has a decent CAT II multimeter with quality probes, this is still going to end up being a job for a professional.
Yeah, I don't, and the commando socket won't let me turn it on without something being plugged in.

Sparky is a good guy, sure he'll swing by to check it.

Car charged to 100% so I'll have to run it down enough to check what the reading is in the car.

·
Registered
289 Posts
You need it under load anyway (charging at full rate) for the test to be meaningful.

I suspect this is all just rooted in your fairly low supply voltage and there's nothing at all to be concerned about, nor anything that can be done to improve the situation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did you get any closer to an answer to this? I don't use an Ohme cable, but have noticed significant pull differences depending on my SOC. At below 60% I easily see 7KW+. When topping-up in higher SOCs I see a lower pull from the car - completely rational and sensible from Polestar.

I have an Andersen home charge point and the Konnect+ app that comes with it.

Here's one charging session from approx 60% to 80% SOC.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I got almost consistent charge all night, from 25% to 90%. The Last bar at 6am wasn't a slowing down, it just needed a bit more to complete.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you get any closer to an answer to this? I don't use an Ohme cable, but have noticed significant pull differences depending on my SOC. At below 60% I easily see 7KW+. When topping-up in higher SOCs I see a lower pull from the car - completely rational and sensible from Polestar.

I have an Andersen home charge point and the Konnect+ app that comes with it.

Here's one charging session from approx 60% to 80% SOC.
View attachment 1777
So your graph is showing kWh, not kw. Different things as far as I understand.

My voltage under no load is much higher, around 240v. Still need to get the car down to a state of low charge and see if it charges at a higher rate, but I don't expect it will because 7kw is slow enough that Polestar don't need to throttle it.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Yep, that graph is showing how many kW was delivered in each hour slot. So the first and last ones will always be shorter unless the car starts charging exactly on the hour and finishes exactly on the hour.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Going back to @Arjo graph.

A - This is perfect and where it should be, and matches mine.

B - This is normal too, as this is just that the car was close to completing it's charge.

C - This is where things get a little odd. The far left bar is fine too as it's was started at 1/4 past or 1/2 past the hour. However bars 2 and 3 make little sense. There is no reason the car would only be pulling less than half the power.
There could be a situation where the A2 isn't getting the power form the house some how due to high load, however without knowing your full set up it's hard to tell.

Basically if there is the available power there is no reason the car would choose to charge at less than 7kw.

·
Registered
68 Posts

View attachment 1792

B - This is normal too, as this is just that the car was close to completing it's charge.

C - This is where things get a little odd. The far left bar is fine too as it's was started at 1/4 past or 1/2 past the hour. However bars 2 and 3 make little sense. There is no reason the car would only be pulling less than half the power.
There could be a situation where the A2 isn't getting the power form the house some how due to high load, however without knowing your full set up it's hard to tell.

Basically if there is the available power there is no reason the car would choose to charge at less than 7kw.
Agreed. At higher SOC my car appears to pull less. I will test a bit more - as you say 7.4kw isn’t pushing any limits but I am seeing possible throttling. This could just be an anomaly in the Andersen app...

·
Registered
68 Posts

View attachment 1792

View attachment 1792

Just to note. My A2 runs off a separate fuse way on a separate board that is taken off my three phase house supply (A2 is single phase) - so there is plenty of power. Also I was charging very late at night.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts