Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using my juice box ever since I've had my polestar and before. Suddenly tonight I'm only getting 16amps of juice roughly 3.7 Kw. I've reset the car's os and the juice box circuit. Still to no avail. Help?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
Sorry I don't know about American chargers, but does the Juice Box monitor the total load to the house and adjust the charging speeds to suit?

Can the Juice Box be configured to reduce the load in any way? Maybe a setting got turned on/off by mistake or an update changed it.

Have you checked the car is set to 48A on the charging screen?

That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
265 Posts
For me it's not 16A but 27A instead of the usual 39-40. (There is a separate thread on that already.) This seems to have changed after the latest OTA update. It's the car, not the "charger". The charger cannot control the charging speed at all. It is just a fancy switch. (I have a JuiceBox, too.)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Like GDank I don't know how your power is controlled. I had a night of 5kw charging and the next time it was back to 7.2kw so I assume that the power was tethered by the grid. We have smart meters so if there is too much demand on the grid they can manage it.

If its happening several times then defo report it.

·
Registered
672 Posts
There seems to be a bug (feature?) related to AC charging with the latest update (P2124-8). I’ve not had it myself, but numerous forum posts indicate this is a car issue. Perhaps it’s a “battery optimization” or “battery protective” change, hence the feature comment above.

·
Registered
470 Posts
For me it's not 16A but 27A instead of the usual 39-40. (There is a separate thread on that already.) This seems to have changed after the latest OTA update. It's the car, not the "charger". The charger cannot control the charging speed at all. It is just a fancy switch. (I have a JuiceBox, too.)
That is not exactly correct. The charger can communicate a lower current capability with the car and thus limit the current taken by the car. It can use that to manage the total consumption of the power connection, it can use that manage sharing power between chargers, etc. What it does with that capability depends on the functionality of the specific charger.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
265 Posts
That is not exactly correct. The charger can communicate a lower current capability with the car and thus limit the current taken by the car. It can use that to manage the total consumption of the power connection, it can use that manage sharing power between chargers, etc. What it does with that capability depends on the functionality of the specific charger.
I let other, moe knowledgeable forum members chime in here. I was under the impression that such protocols do not exist (or, at least, are not standardized) for A/C (level 2) charging.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I did post the details elsewhere on forum. Let me see if I can find that back.

·
Super Moderator
1,396 Posts
Although for Type 2 AC charging there is no back channel from the car to the charger, the charger can tell the car it's max output through a PWM modulated signal over the CP pin which the car has to obey.

Edit: Defined in IEC 62196

·
Registered
470 Posts
For Type 2, there is no back channel from the car to the charger. Only the charger can tell the car it's max output through a PWM modulated signal over the CP pin which the car has to obey.
That's the way it works indeed. There is somewhat of a backchannel, the car communicates it's state by means of the pull-up voltage of the PWM signal. That is how it stops the charger when the set SoC is reached.

I have tried to find my earlier post with the details and specs. But only got very frustrated with the search function. Given up.

·
Super Moderator
1,396 Posts
This is the english Wikipedia page for the standard. It does not say anything about the protocol, so you might want to google translate the german page.

The back channel from the car to the charger is only 'I am connected' and 'Start charging' through a certain resistance on the CP pin.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
265 Posts
Thanks for the explanation(s)!

In any case, this cannot be the explanation for why the charging speed is reduced for me. My JuiceBox has no way of knowing anything about the general system load, and I don't think it is telling the car to throttle things down. I'm pretty sure it's all the car's doing.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Mine fixed itself after about 7 hours of charging.

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
My car has been going back and forth between the two modes, so I don't think there is any self-fixing or healing going on.
That's different than what mine did. 27 amps instead of 39 for those 6 or 7 hours, then it bumped up on its own to 39 and stayed there. Many subsequent charges since have been steady at the 39 amps.

·
Registered
Stock P*2 MDNT VIN: 011***
169 Posts
I checked my Juicebox and the app doesn't report previous amperage, just watts. I'll check it again when I charge. I did notice, when I first used the Juicebox, the charging percent somehow changed to 50% and I changed it back to 90%. The two apps report different stats during a charge. When this stuff gets to me, I just stare at the blank square in the middle of the dashboard, the zen-like void calms me. Stomping on the accelerator helps too.

·
Registered
Stock P*2 MDNT VIN: 011***
169 Posts
The site doesn’t allow uploads from a tablet or I’d share a screenshot. My Juicebox is charging at 30 to 31 amps consistently. I set the car to 32.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm on Duke Energy, and I noticed a change also.

The car sometimes charges at just under 7 kw (as it did last night), but most of the time it charges at just under 11 (which it did consistantly when I first began using my fancy light switch - a Chargepoint Flex)

I blame my air conditioning and the smart meter being in cahoots. 🤪

1 - 20 of 21 Posts