Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to the forum so I apologize if this question has already been asked. Looks like the 2022 Polestar 2 includes an optional heat pump that increases range up to 10%. Any idea if that heat pump can be installed in the 2021 Polestar 2? I own a 2021 Polestar 2 and would like to try and increase range as much as possible as I do a lot of driving.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I am new to the forum so I apologize if this question has already been asked. Looks like the 2022 Polestar 2 includes an optional heat pump that increases range up to 10%. Any idea if that heat pump can be installed in the 2021 Polestar 2? I own a 2021 Polestar 2 and would like to try and increase range as much as possible as I do a lot of driving.
No it cannot.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Serious questions:

1 - is 16-20 miles that big of a deal in your use case?
2 - have you considered buying the single motor, long range with the plus pack, that would give more like 20-40 difference.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Keep your tyres correctly inflated, get a set of 19" wheels (if you have the 20's), make sure you are on the latest software.

As already said, heat pump is more useful in colder climates where it reduces winter load heating the batteries. If you regularly do long journeys use something like ABRP to figure out the best charging strategies.

If 20 miles is the difference between a no charge return journey and needing a charge then just set off 10 minutes earlier and drive 5mph slower. It depends if you like the range bingo at the end of a trip - will it stop or will I make it?

Looks like the Tesla supercharger network will be opened up later in the year which might give a few more options.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Morning All

1st time posted, long time viewer. I don't have a polestar yet but have my extended 3-day test drive on Monday to put it through its paces before i order, not going for the performance pack as it seems expensive.

I can see a general feeling is that the heat pump isn't going to be the much use for many members but my question is related to the placement of the heat pump. In the Tesla Model 3 they reduced the frunk depth to accommodate the HP, is the expectation that will happen with the already useless P*2 frunk

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Morning All

1st time posted, long time viewer. I don't have a polestar yet but have my extended 3-day test drive on Monday to put it through its paces before i order, not going for the performance pack as it seems expensive.

I can see a general feeling is that the heat pump isn't going to be the much use for many members but my question is related to the placement of the heat pump. In the Tesla Model 3 they reduced the frunk depth to accommodate the HP, is the expectation that will happen with the already useless P*2 frunk
Dunno for sure, but I suspect not. You can check the XC40 Recharge, I don't think there's any change there with the heat pump.

·
Registered
Snow non-PP w/tow hook
149 Posts
There's a lot of room under the frunk interior anyways, I highly doubt it'll eat away any of the existing space we have

·
Super Moderator
1,360 Posts
In the Tesla Model 3 they reduced the frunk depth to accommodate the HP, is the expectation that will happen with the already useless P*2 frunk
The heat pump doesn't intrude any further into it as far as I understand. Frankly, if it did, there'd be nothing left anyway!

·
Registered
Stock P*2 MDNT VIN: 011***
169 Posts
Until such time as Polestar delivers a fully-functioning car that meets the specs on the Monroney sticker, I don't wanna hear another word from them about anything else.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I haven't been able to find any information about whether the heat-pump is a multi-way arrangement, like in the T 3, where it can transfer energy between any of:

environment, cabin, drivetrain, battery.

If so, it might have other advantages than just energy savings in cold weather (like preheating battery for faster charging).

True to form, Tesla has been good at marketing their system as something exceptional, while other manufacturers like Hyundai have been quietly doing something similar for years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Until such time as Polestar delivers a fully-functioning car that meets the specs on the Monroney sticker, I don't wanna hear another word from them about anything else.
what is a Monroney sticker, google tells me it is a sales thing that goes in the window that tells you the spec and price?

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
Right. And, in the end, it becomes a legal agreement between the buyer and seller showing you exactly what you're buying. It's the result of consumer protection laws in the U. S.

So if you don't get something listed there, you have a basis for action.

Reactions: Thor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Right. And, in the end, it becomes a legal agreement between the buyer and seller showing you exactly what you're buying. It's the result of consumer protection laws in the U. S.

So if you don't get something listed there, you have a basis for action.
thanks ProfessorCook, i assume that something was listed in Byron's that hasn't shown up.

I'm still looking forward to my 3-day test drive of the polestar but with some of the comments i have read i may go for the Tesla M3P as my 1st EV, with a hope that when i re-purchase in 2-3 years my options are much better

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
thanks ProfessorCook, i assume that something was listed in Byron's that hasn't shown up.

I'm still looking forward to my 3-day test drive of the polestar but with some of the comments i have read i may go for the Tesla M3P as my 1st EV, with a hope that when i re-purchase in 2-3 years my options are much better
Heated wiper blades were on the sticker, but the blades aren't actually heated.

Reactions: ProfessorCook

·
Registered
Stock P*2 MDNT VIN: 011***
169 Posts
Grumpy yes. The turn the radio up solve to the Cheng-du Cricket is getting old. Hopefully fixed next month.

·
Registered
P*2 | 300KW | Snow | Charcoal | Pilot | Plus | 19" | Stickerless
9 Posts
Useless frunk? Mine is stuffed with an emergency kit, first aid kit, and more.
More useful than putting cables in there, especially as the charge port is at the back.

Cant see myself using it daily due to it not being power open/close. I'll probably keep some washer fluid in there.

·
Registered
On Order 2022 LR Midnight, Pilot+Plus+Nappa+tow 19" no-pp
6 Posts
Listened to a Podcast on Electrek with the USA Polestar CEO and he claimed the Heat Pump increased the HV Battery lifetime but wasn't so gun ho about range when pressed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts