Polestar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'Day Folks,

I am all but ready to pull the trigger on a Polestar after researching the EV market here in Australia. I have a test drive booked in next Tuesday as a final confirmation of my decision. It will be the first time I have driven an EV, the closest I have come to an EV is sitting in a Tesla M3.

To take advantage of the new legislation concerning the FBT exemption for EV's, I have been looking at the various options and configurations to stay under the $84,916 LCT threshold for low emissions vehicles. To be thorough, I read the new legislation as well as the legislation covering LCT and FBT. To my dismay, I discovered that the LCT threshold included GST (if it didn't, I would have been able to get my preferred choice, a LRDM with paint, pilot and plus packs, under the threshold.)

So now I have narrowed down to three choices:

SRSM with paint, pilot, plus and 20 inch tyres. I like Snow with the white Nappa leather (ventilated) but I haven't seen any other colours in the flesh yet.
LRSM with pilot, plus (or I could drop plus and have paint, but I would rather the Nappa leather than a different paint option)
LRDM with paint and pilot. No plus so therefore no Nappa.

Of these three, it appears SRSM gives the most "bang for the buck".

In terms of a use case that may assist with any feedback, I will use the car as the daily commuter ( approx 60km per day in medium traffic Mon-Fri and kids sport runs (50km each day) on the weekends, so all up about 400km a week. Assume 3 x 300km round trip, 1 x 600 km round trip and 1 x 1000km round trip per year.

I would be keen to take feedback from current or other prospective owners on thoughts about the three options, or anything I may have overlooked.

Thanks and cheers, I have learnt alot about the Polestar already from reading this forum.

Registered
MY22 Void SRSM Pilot/Plus/Leather
In terms of a use case that may assist with any feedback, I will use the car as the daily commuter ( approx 60km per day in medium traffic Mon-Fri and kids sport runs (50km each day) on the weekends, so all up about 400km a week. Assume 3 x 300km round trip, 1 x 600 km round trip and 1 x 1000km round trip per year.
I do about 150km/day, 3 days a week with my SRSM, I would expect that from a full charge I would get about 380km, however I never charge above 90% and you should try to avoid going below 10% (my lowest is 19%) as you'll hit turtle mode. As long there is a fast charger, you'll be fine for those trips too. You can almost certainly get away with no fast chargers for the 3x300km if you have somewhere to AC charge in the middle (assuming overnight or more) and the 600km trip would be close, but if you start from 100% you could potentially skip a charge. For the 1000km trip you'll most likely need a 15-20 minute stop at a fast charger at some point in each direction.

SRSM with paint, pilot, plus and 20 inch tyres.
I would probably skip the 20's tbh. They have a range penalty from a combination of factors, but most of all are heavier than the 19's.

Of these three, it appears SRSM gives the most "bang for the buck".
In the 10 weeks I've had my car I've probably only had one day where I have wished I had a bit more range, but I did 293km in a single day, a lot of which was in 100 and 110 zones 馃ぃ

Registered
I bought the LRSM. When I bought it the SRSM had a smaller battery in the UK 64kwh, but now comes with a 69kWh battery. If at the time of my purchase i the new SRSM was available I would have bought it.

The battery size difference is 9kwh and even the most conservative drive will only provide an additional 36 miles. If you really need those 36 miles then, sure go for the LRSM but how often will you use the battery from 100% to 10%? Very often? Makes sense, hardly ever save the money and for the SRSM. Apart from battery size cars are identical.

Registered
2022 LRSM Thunder/Slate/Plus/Hitch
It really depends on the quality of charging network when you need it鈥f it鈥檚 good, you will not have issues other than stopping a bit more often or longer. If it鈥檚 not good, the 60 km or so of range difference can save your bacon, like it has for me twice on my road trip I am on right now.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks lilstevie, Icesingh and mxs for your replies.

By the sounds of it, the SRSM will be fine - especially for my daily & weekly commuting which is the vast bulk of my driving. I'll be able to charge at home overnight. The charging network seems to be improving all of the time along the east coast for the longer trips.

With regards to the 20 inch wheels - I like the look of the optional 20's, especially with Snow which would be my preferred colour. I could live without them through. The configurator website has a warning that orders with the standard 19" could be delayed. Anyone have an idea about a potential delay to the standard 19"?

Test drive tomorrow - looking forward to it.

Cheers

Registered
MY22 Void SRSM Pilot/Plus/Leather
With regards to the 20 inch wheels - I like the look of the optional 20's,
Fair enough, if you like them, then get them. Just as long as you're aware of the trade off for the 20's.

Anyone have an idea about a potential delay to the standard 19"?
Nothing concrete but heard from some that its a case of add 2-3 months to the estimated date on the configurator.

Registered
MY23 Snow LRDM Pilot Plus
They have a range penalty from a combination of factors, but most of all are heavier than the 19's.
Do you have any more info on this? I'm interested to find out. From my understanding the new 20's were more aerodynamic, but thats the limit of my knowledge.

Registered
2022 SR SM
The one reservation I have had over our SRSM (+pilot lite) is not paying what amounted to an extra NZ$5K for a LRSM. Having done a couple of intercity trips already in our Polestar the distances involved in those cases would have been more easily done with that little bit of extra range.

If you are new to EVs the extra range will moderate the change in your travel plans from your ICE life and I'll bet you won't regret investing those few extra dollars.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I went for my test drive yesterday, and I know I'm preaching to the converted but wow, I was blown away. First time driving an EV and I had the fully optioned dual motor. The most difficult thing during the whole experience was keeping the speed down. I found the Speed Limiter function on the central display and despite having it turned on, didn't know I had to adjust on the steering wheel. The ride was smooth and the one-pedal driving was very intuative - picked it up no problems during the 30 minute drive. If the single motor is only half of the acceleration of the DM, it will be plenty as the DM is more than is needed for urban commuting (although fun).

I'm still grappling with what I can get under the $84916 LCT threshold. There were Snow, Magnesium and Thunder cars there, I didn't like Magnesium or Thunder so it will be Snow (my original choice anyway). The rest is up in the air.

The salesman didn't know much other than show the functions of the car (obviously doesn't read the forum!) and when I asked about the delay to the 19" wheels looked blank and then said 20 days. I don't think he really knew. I also asked about servicing, repairs etc and he said that Volvo was taking care of it, when I have read that Volvo were not involved, except in WA (and I'm not in WA).

Just need to tidy up some loose ends with the lease and I'll be placing an order!

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to the discussion.

Cheers

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I placed the order today, SRSM in Snow, pilot, plus and nappa.

I was $265 over the LCT threshold for LRSM with pilot, plus and nappa. I could have got the LRSM in Snow, pilot and plus but I'm concerned about the weavetch and how hot it will be, especially in the dark colours on offer. I would have preferred the zinc cloth seats instead of the weavetech. Tom on chasingcars regrets the weavetech, and I didn't want to be in that position.

I did not go for the 20", I figured I was sacrificing enough range to go with the SRSM so didn't want to give up more with the 20". I'll just have to wear the delay with the 19".

Now the wait begins!

Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts