Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
MY21, Midnight PP Nappa
175 Posts
Oh no this is exactly what I would prefer. Backing out of the driveway it uselessly starts in 360 because the sensors sense the walls around me but all I'm interested in is going backwards. Hope this comes to mine in the US.

·
Registered
California
1,825 Posts
Doesn't it just start in the last mode you used?
In the US, shifting into reverse defaults to showing the backup camera, unless multiple (?) sensors detect objects near other parts of the car (eg if you’re in a tight parking space), in which case you might get the 360º camera.

·
Registered
MY21, Midnight PP Nappa
175 Posts
Doesn't it just start in the last mode you used?
Unfortunately no, like the above, I park in a pretty tight garage so I get sensors going off in front, on the right, and depending how bad my wife parked, the left as well. 19 times out of 20 it starts in 360 and I just have to manually switch it to reverse so I can have a better sense of the sidewalk I'm crossing after I get out. Then also turn off the rear auto brake because my driveway is on an incline and I like not having a sore neck :(

But maybe you're right - the 360 goes on when I pull into the spot so maybe it goes back to that?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Received an update notification in the car. Looks like Polestar wants to disable the 360 view by default. Not a good choice. Their backup camera is barely usable.

Does anyone know more about this? There's nothing about this update in the official recall database.
The way I read it is not that they want to but that they have to in accordance with the regulations in your region; not a choice.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Received an update notification in the car. Looks like Polestar wants to disable the 360 view by default. Not a good choice. Their backup camera is barely usable.

Does anyone know more about this? There's nothing about this update in the official recall database.

View attachment 17867
Not true thought, the back view does provide a better view left and right. But this ultimately comes down to personal behaviour and usage. I agree with this recall improves nothing in essence.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I got an email indicating that my VIN was identified as one needing this OTA fix, but I haven't seen an OTA cloud yet. Not that I want to update because i prefer the 360 degree camera. I tried using the reverse camera before, and it severely gimps the 360 degree of the rest of the car, where the rest of the cameras stop working.

On a side note, if they can push specific OTA's like this to Canada, why couldn't they enable our Pixel headlights the same way?

·
Registered
166 Posts
I received the notice and plan to apply this today. There has been a few times auto-brake has come on because I was in 360 view in a parking area and couldn't see people walking or cars crossing. Default rear view will help prevent that shock to my passengers. The price will be the inconvenience of having to switch it back to 360 view. Will let you all know if there is any unusual logic there.

331 Posts

View attachment 17867
I wonder if we will be forced to install this? I prefer 360 as default.

·
Registered
2021 PS2 Launch Ed | Midnight | non-PP | tow hitch | 19” | tinted | ceramic coated
263 Posts
I think it sucks, but hard to argue with a federal regulation. Strange that it is basically same system as Volvo’s 360 degree backup view, and I’ve been using it on the Xc90 view for 6 years. Not an issue. I prefer it. I don’t like the backup camera. no recall on the volvo that I have seen.

What’s the point in having 360 degree camera if you are only allowed the backup camera. As Stevelup put it above… just show both views to comply with regulations. Anyway. I guess I’ll have to get used to the rear view cam.
More importantly, if the regulators have time to think about the 360 cam, they should agree to allow the performance upgrade Canada! 😉

·
Registered
California
1,825 Posts
If I read it correctly it’s not taking away the 360° view. You’ll just have an experience like (or identical to?) what we get in the US. You can still tap on the screen twice to get the 360° view, they’re not taking it away completely.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just so happened to have my car in for tire change and updates. They installed the 2.3 update for me and I immediately noticed the change in camera behaviour.

Emailed Polestar and mentioned the update and was confirmed in the email as above.

It will default to the rear camera when you put it in reverse but if the proximity sensors are triggered it will still go to the 360 view. So, if you park in a tight garage spot you may not notice a difference immediately.

However, if you are engaging reverse in open space like a parkade or a driveway, it will be the backup camera.

You can definitely tap the screen to re-engage the 360 view immediately and from there switching between Drive and Reverse while trying to park will maintain the 360 view until the speed limit is reached. Afterwards it goes back to backup view again when re-engaged later.

(Edits for formatting, as typing on phone)

·
Registered
118 Posts
curious if this is a gradual rollout amongst the millions of ps2's in Canada. I've yet to see the little cloud thing prompting me for this update/fix. I never saw 2.3 either when it was available, so i'm not sure if my car just refuses to receive OTA stuff lol

1 - 20 of 35 Posts