Polestar Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our introduction to the Polestar 2 and test drive. 16/08/20.

The Covid precautions seemed well organised and were followed. On arrival we booked in and had coffee and chatted with the staff (who are not actually polestar employees) who outnumbered the punters by about 4:1.

We were ushered into the first room which was slightly strange, almost like a sensory deprivation room, where a shrine-like P2 was the central focus under somewhat dim lighting. A brief overview was given about the car while we stood in front of ipads with some features and settings options to play with, but unfortunately they did not work. There was a swatch selection of both exterior colours and upholstery options, but again could have been better lit.

We then proceeded outside to take our test drives, and set off with no instruction about the controls whatsoever - just a follow the leader and any problems our phone number is in the glove box! The drive itself was very good, a mix of motorway, ‘b’ roads and urban, even with small speed humps. The lead driver gave it some welly and allowed us to try out the acceleration. At half way we swapped drivers.

Driving, the ride felt comfortable, handled the bumps well, held the road well, well planted and solid. Road noise not loud, wind noise low. Nice quick acceleration (without the brutality of a Tesla), Regen modes good. Our car was showing 3.1 miles per kWh, which considering that these demonstrators are given a fair bashing, seems good.

Finally a very quick debrief and in swooped the cleaning crew. It all seemed a little rushed and not much information given.

Our car was void with charcoal, non performance. Unfortunately none of the Google features worked so we were unable to try the sat nav or sound system. After extensive trial and error button pushing on the test drive managed to get the pilot assist to work, but couldn’t get the adaptive CC to work. These cars are awaiting updates apparently.

There were about 10 cars there in all, split between 2 test drive teams, and the only colour missing was Magnesium, the colour we have ordered. Grrr. (Still like the Moon, which really changes colour in sun/shade, as does the Thunder)

Liked the exterior appearance, and the de-chromed look. The boot opening ‘dance’ worked ok, the front boot is small but functional. Overall the car looks stunning, and on the test route certainly turned heads and had other cars on the motorway pulling alongside to gawp (once they caught up that is, ha-ha). Size wise it was a little bigger than I expected.

The interior was really nicely styled, although how hardy some of those materials will be remains a question. Very stylish though. Seats comfortable and electrically adjustable (unlike to steering wheel, which in my opinion should also be electrical, so its position could also be saved to the driver profile). Leg room fine, and I didn’t find the hard edge on the centre console an issue, although the console itself is large and a little intrusive. Cup holders seem a bit of an afterthought but we aren’t unduly bothered by that, and the front centre armrest was a little bit naff.

Overall, a very well designed car, very well built, nice materials, oozed quality. It feels like a proper car, not an ipad on wheels! This could very well be the car to take EV’s into the main stream market, albeit at a price!

One thing I really liked - the sound of the indicators! How sad is that?

Are we cancelling our order? Definitely not! Even though we still haven’t seen the Magnesium.

We were told that the first UK customer took delivery yesterday (15/8).

Roll on September!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing.....even if I had to look up what naff means!
Glad to see that your non-PP test car didn't have any issues with the regular suspension being too firm, teeth rattling, etc. Did you notice the tire size?
All in all, this looks encouraging with every test drive report we are seeing here.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
60 Posts
To SA69-EV. If you get a test drive before me would you mind reporting how the ride comfort and handling compare to your diesel CX-5? Just for the record I have the SE-L Auto 150hp diesel.(2018)

·
Registered
68 Posts
To SA69-EV. If you get a test drive before me would you mind reporting how the ride comfort and handling compare to your diesel CX-5?
@Jonno
I had my test drive over a week ago at Farnborough. The ride comfort was really good.
I usually drive for up to 250 miles in one go, so comfort is important to me. The 50 minute test drive was split into 2x 20 minutes with a break half way so not really able to consider it over a long distance/time, but definitely very good. Personally I found the seats in my previous 2012 model more comfortable to my current 2016 one, but you have the even newer revamped version. Some reviewers have commented on bumps and potholes, but on a non-performance pack car, I did not notice anything.
The handling was great, following the lead car around some fast, bendy stretches of road, and I was impressed - while making sure I didn't dent it !!
I'm looking forward to September and having some good runs in my own.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Many thanks for your feedback which is very useful :) I couldn't quite remember whether you had already had a test drive so made an assumption on a 50/50 basis and got it wrong:rolleyes: Personally I found the seats for my 2013, 2016 and 2018 CX-5's very comfortable in any car so far and I have suffered with upper back/shoulder problems in the past. I've even just sat in a car for size without driving and developed backache within 5 minutes... As Volvo seats are legendary plus with an adjustable seat cushion for long legs I'm sure we will both find it fine on a long run. Good news on bumps and potholes as I do find that sometimes my CX-5 does have a choppy ride.

Not too many sleeps until delivery? Please tell us all of your experiences (warts and all) as we need the whole picture:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Our introduction to the Polestar 2 and test drive. 16/08/20.

We were ushered into the first room which was slightly strange, almost like a sensory deprivation room, where a shrine-like P2 was the central focus under somewhat dim lighting. A brief overview was given about the car while we stood in front of ipads with some features and settings options to play with, but unfortunately they did not work. There was a swatch selection of both exterior colours and upholstery options, but again could have been better lit.
I test drove at Banbury on the 14th August

Coffee was good. The sound acoustics of the locations were appalling where the talk was given. The drive up the M40 was fun, was the last car, and was left behind at one stage. Found the acceleration at 70 still very punchy, and was soon driving far to fast.

I did find it hard to get answers to my questions and felt I knew more than some of the demonstrators.

Here is a picture I took from the Banbury studio.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts