Polestar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Car (VIN 40XX) spent two days in the workshop for the update, only to P1.7 though. No complimentary valet though - “Prioritised for service customers” I was told. I suspect Polestar owners are back of the queue at Volvo dealers. Awaiting next OTA download with scarcely concealed excitement…

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Mine is 11000 ... I had the Feb'21 update then never got one again after that. I've been to Volvo to get P1.7 so I'm interested to know is P1.8 will self download or not....

·
Registered
Polestar 2
258 Posts
Polestar have posted on Facebook that P1.7 updates have been suspended pending the arrival of P1.8 - so if you haven't got P1.7 over the air yet you won't be getting it.

Suggests OTA of P1.8 can't be too far away either (especially if dealers are already able to install it)

·
Registered
Midnight PP leather tow
86 Posts
Polestar have posted on Facebook that P1.7 updates have been suspended pending the arrival of P1.8 - so if you haven't got P1.7 over the air yet you won't be getting it.

Suggests OTA of P1.8 can't be too far away either (especially if dealers are already able to install it)
The garage installed 1.7 in my car to get PAK to work. Then a few weeks later I installed OTA of 1.7 (yes, the same version number) which added things like the new Range Assistant app - but broke PAK again.
Just because a dealer can install something called 1.8 please do not assume that it is that - or that it is ready and working.

Software isn't easy and I don't expect it to be perfect. I do expect better that what we've been getting so far...

·
Registered
895 Posts
I saw on a Dutch forum that Polestar have confirmed that 1.8 will be ready for install at dealers next week and become available for OTA the week after.
That sounds reasonable and pretty consistent with the timeline when they withdrew P1.6 to prepare for P1.7

·
Registered
190 Posts
Solve some, create some... That's the beauty of software. There will always be glitches. New functionality will always need time to mature in real life scenarios, regardless how much that functionality is tested.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Solve some, create some... That's the beauty of software. There will always be glitches. New functionality will always need time to mature in real life scenarios, regardless how much that functionality is tested.
As an engineer I understand. As a user I strongly disagree. There is no beauty in it, it is utterly frustrating.

My perception of the P2 is that it has become worse with every update. I was lucky enough, that there was nothing to solve. Functionality was deleted, functionality was degraded, functionality was added that I don't care for, performance improvements are hardly noticeable. Perception is real. Drive the car, forget the marketing gimmicks.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Week48 starting 21st November. Week49 28th November. Quite late given the slow and spaced rollout.

Will be interesting to see what they do over the holidays. No one wants a BrickedPolestar as a gift. They don’t fit down the chimney!
And the world cannot not even agree on week numbers :oops:.

Reactions: rgledhill

·
Registered
190 Posts
As an engineer I understand. As a user I strongly disagree. There is no beauty in it, it is utterly frustrating.

My perception of the P2 is that it has become worse with every update. I was lucky enough, that there was nothing to solve. Functionality was deleted, functionality was degraded, functionality was added that I don't care for, performance improvements are hardly noticeable. Perception is real. Drive the car, forget the marketing gimmicks.
I was a bit sarcastic. And I agree. Even if i.e. PAK doesn't work, the car still drives wonderful!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I’m still amazed with the whole rollout song & dance: 3 weeks of prep, during which the previous update needs to be suspended, and then the update is not global. Watching the whole thing as a consumer gives the impression of a chaotic and over-complicated process compared to what getting a software update is like for most other devices.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I’m still amazed with the whole rollout song & dance: 3 weeks of prep, during which the previous update needs to be suspended, and then the update is not global. Watching the whole thing as a consumer gives the impression of a chaotic and over-complicated process compared to what getting a software update is like for most other devices.
Not in defence of PS and I agree with your sentiments. PS are not alone with poor chaotic bug ridden software updates. I was in the line to buy a VW ID4, I was actively following multiple forums for ID3 and ID4. They too are having poor OTA updates and lots of bugs with the car and software. When I decided not to go for the ID4 due to long delays due to semiconductor shortages, I was hoping the PS 2 will not be as bad, seems like it's similar to what VW owners are going through. I resigned to the fact being an early adopter have some pitfalls, but not to say we shouldn't complain and escalate this issues back to PS. I just need to be patient, I'm hoping this will payoff in the long run, otherwise after paying off the car I'll jump ship, but I let's hope PS gets things right gradually with each new iteration of OTA updates.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Week48 starting 21st November. Week49 28th November. Quite late given the slow and spaced rollout.

Will be interesting to see what they do over the holidays. No one wants a BrickedPolestar as a gift. They don’t fit down the chimney!
Weeks start On Mondays, not Sundays. Also you're a week off. Week 48 is about to start (29th Nov).

·
Registered
657 Posts
Based on my experience in this space, there's a shit-ton of work that goes into making a complex enough update smooth and hassle free, both for the updator and updatee. So when you compare to other consumer products, keep in mind that a lot of them are too simple to have any complications in the update process, and a few of them have put in thousands of dev hours to make the process complications-free.

Polestar is not "there yet" with its OTA process, but I'm happy to give them time and space to get there. I knew I'd be signing up to this when I bought the car. I do expect improvements to the process but my baseline expectations were low. Happy with their progress and pace so far (not speaking for others).

61 - 80 of 123 Posts