Polestar Forum banner
281 - 300 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
They probably want to send their time doing things like going to the beach or socializing. I’ve been in the tech industry over 40 years and like my apple devices because they just work, together. I can do something on my iPhone and my iPad knows about it, set up a streaming service in our Apple TV and it’s always synched to the other devices.

It’s the same with the car; I just want my phone connected to the car. CarPlay is good because it’s a standard across the auto industry. If you own multiple vehicles its the same interface in them all, and synched with your other devices. If you hire a car no need to learn someone else’s infotainment or navigation system, just connect your phone.

Understand if you‘re not into the Apple ecosystem that isn’t attractive but it you are it’s really a big deal not to have it. For sure not having CarPlay will be costing Polestar sales.
I hear you on the part about being able to drop into a rental car and go, but that's not unique to CarPlay. That's the same experience for Android Auto, and theoretically would be the same experience for AAoS as it rolls out to more makes and models. You would just log into your Google account, and voila, you have access to EVERYTHING, not just in the car, but throughout your Google connected account.

Apple is fine, especially if you want to stay within that eco-system, but by design it's more restrictive and limited than what Google/Android allows for, and I don't think it's any secret that that's why any sort of Apple equivalent to AAoS would be a non-starter for most manufacturers.

·
Registered
372 Posts
FWIW I downloaded Amazon Music to my car a week or so ago, initially it worked but it would not display any of the tracks, album art etc, but a day or so later all that showed up in the car and it has worked as it should since. Still don't use it often as Spotify et al but its there as something different if I want it.
Amazon music is by far the worst app I’ve ever used. Embarrassingly poor.

·
Registered
PS2 Snow, Pilot
215 Posts
Amazon music on the AAOS is different than the one on your phones.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
For sure not having CarPlay will be costing Polestar sales.
Well this is certainly why they did it. But there's nothing I hate more than being locked into an ecosystem. And apple charges you an arm and a leg to stay in their fold. There was no apple when I started in the tech industry, so I have different proclivities. If the P2 had apple OS as the primary baked in system, I might not have even looked at it because apple simply doesn't play well with others.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well this is certainly why they did it. But there's nothing I hate more than being locked into an ecosystem. And apple charges you an arm and a leg to stay in their fold. There was no apple when I started in the tech industry, so I have different proclivities. If the P2 had apple OS as the primary baked in system, I might not have even looked at it because apple simply doesn't play well with others.
I get you; I've been in the tech industry for over 40 years and there were no PC's when I started let alone Apple. But when the first iPhone arrived in in 2007 it was a revelation, changed our world forever. Of course my immediate action was to jailbreak it so I could load 'unauthorized' apps, hell at first if we didn't do that it wouldn't even connect to the 2G network in Australia. Seems such a long time ago now.

·
Registered
2022 Polestar 2 Moon Pilot/Plus/Napa
66 Posts
Apple ecosystem and OSs are way more open than they’ve ever been in the past, but still not android open. Agreed

Reactions: JRRF

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hear you on the part about being able to drop into a rental car and go, but that's not unique to CarPlay. That's the same experience for Android Auto, and theoretically would be the same experience for AAoS as it rolls out to more makes and models. You would just log into your Google account, and voila, you have access to EVERYTHING, not just in the car, but throughout your Google connected account.

Apple is fine, especially if you want to stay within that eco-system, but by design it's more restrictive and limited than what Google/Android allows for, and I don't think it's any secret that that's why any sort of Apple equivalent to AAoS would be a non-starter for most manufacturers.
For sure Apple wants to 'own' the customer, nothing particularly unique there. I guess that's one thing they've been particularly successful at so all credit to them there. Google went the other way with Android, deciding to open it up to the world and likewise all credit to them for that success. Better we have two viable ecosystems than one.

·
Registered
2022 DM Void Plus & Pilot 19 inch tires
110 Posts
Correct if your not navigating both maps can be up at the same time, once navigating it goes away on the dash.
Does the CarPlay have Google Maps like it normally does? If so, if using the CP GM app (Not the GM from the car) to navigate, does it show up in the driver display like it would if using the car one?

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
But when the first iPhone arrived in in 2007 it was a revelation
Yes. Although long before then (some 10 years I believe) my organization was the beta site for Blackberry in the US. Only about 8 of us had them at the time. I had the 4 line version, and there was also an 8 line. It was email only initially. It was during that beta that I realized I could read emails while driving, but not type replies :eek:

·
Registered
PS2 '22 | Snow | PPP | Napa Leather
209 Posts
I remember when we got our first one in the building for everyone to share 😂. And we were IBM, so we got it first.
haha I was an intern at Paramount Pictures in NYC and was the first to use the IBM PC there. They had 2 - one I used and one shared one in finance. They didn't quite know what to do with them. PC AT, green or orange screen, forget which.

·
Registered
PS2 '22 | Snow | PPP | Napa Leather
209 Posts
Does the CarPlay have Google Maps like it normally does? If so, if using the CP GM app (Not the GM from the car) to navigate, does it show up in the driver display like it would if using the car one?
would be highly unlikely. this version of carplay does not support the driver display. can't imagine that it would be able to duplicate the maps display onto the driver display just because it happens to be google maps that's running on carplay (and one can even make the argument that doing that would be even more difficult than extending apple maps onto that display, which we know isn't supported).

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes. Although long before then (some 10 years I believe) my organization was the beta site for Blackberry in the US. Only about 8 of us had them at the time. I had the 4 line version, and there was also an 8 line. It was email only initially. It was during that beta that I realized I could read emails while driving, but not type replies :eek:
Ah, Blackberry! My wife still moans about loosing her 8700.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
It's crazy that this issue was missed in testing. What do you want to bet that their test fleet doesn't have any cars running Imperial measurements because they're all based in Europe and possibly China?
I’m guessing this is the main reason we haven’t gotten to TCAM stability outside of Europe. Notably the UK had tons of TCAM issues and then they opened their Coventry site and those seemingly melted away. There must be something different about N American network configurations vs EU/UK networks that causes some of our TCAMs here to go haywire with greater frequency.

I’m guessing Polestar doesn’t have the resources to open a N American testing center - but Volvo has one not too far from where I live. Wonder why they aren’t leveraging (or seem like they aren’t leveraging) those guys as much for treating and validation of their software.

Volvo Cars R&D Silicon Valley Tech Center

161 Posts
Yes, but those massive numbers are for every country in the world, including developing nations.

You'll find the ratio of Apple -vs- Android users is massively closer (and indeed Apple often higher) if you only include people who can afford £50k + cars... So global smartphone market share is a meaningless metric.

I personally do not have a single friend or colleague with an Android phone, so if you asked me to guess, based on my first hand experience, I'd say Apple had 100% market share...!
I currently have an iPhone and my last phone was an iPhone but I really don't think it's any better than a premium android.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Yes, but those massive numbers are for every country in the world, including developing nations.

You'll find the ratio of Apple -vs- Android users is massively closer (and indeed Apple often higher) if you only include people who can afford £50k + cars... So global smartphone market share is a meaningless metric.

I personally do not have a single friend or colleague with an Android phone, so if you asked me to guess, based on my first hand experience, I'd say Apple had 100% market share...!
Yep.
As a likely more relevant metric, iOS dominates the global smartphone app market by revenue, with iOS apps generating more revenue for developers than Android by a ~60-75:25-40 ratio.

And notably Apple can operate in China while Google and its Play Store are banned there.

So for app developers and those catering to a platform's apps, it makes some sense to start with iOS first.

281 - 300 of 388 Posts