Polestar Forum banner
301 - 320 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
343 Posts
Yep.
As a likely more relevant metric, iOS dominates the global smartphone app market by revenue, with iOS apps generating more revenue for developers than Android by a ~60-75:25-40 ratio.

And notably Apple can operate in China while Google and its Play Store are banned there.

So for app developers and those catering to a platform's apps, it makes some sense to start with iOS first.
I think the demographics are probably more relevant than the revenue differences. The former justifies prioritising CarPlay while the latter attracts developers.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
I think the demographics are probably more relevant than the revenue differences. The former justifies prioritising CarPlay while the latter attracts developers.
It's also a lot more expensive (and complicated) to put your app in the apple space compared to android, and that discourages a lot of smaller developers.

·
Registered
2021 P*2 Thunder/Slate 19"
194 Posts
My daughter has apple because it's "cool" and all her friends are in that closed environment. People I know who are non-techie have apple because apple dumb's everything down. But the people I know who are more technically savvy, and want full control of their device have android. I personally think that apple has the worst UI of anyone out there. I'm not saying they didn't invent these types of UIs, but they've lost their way.
intersting perspective. Both myself, but especially a reallygood friend of mine, are very tech-focused and grew up building our own PCs etc. in the 90s.

we’re both apple fans because we appreciate good tech that just works and doesn’t need a lot of user knowledge to get the most out of it.

Apple succeeded bc it recognized the importance of simplifying tech. Steve Jobs once said if a customer can’t use tech, it’s the makers fault, not the user. Thats opposite of what PC makers were saying. He was right.

andoid is more popular bc it’s open, this the barrier to entry is much lower. As someone else posted, the prevalence in android is due in part bc it’s much cheaper in developing countries. The number of rich people like us who can afford expensive cars are likely much more balanced between iOS and android.

would love polestar to release their data on this.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts
Apple succeeded bc it recognized the importance of simplifying tech. Steve Jobs once said if a customer can’t use tech, it’s the makers fault, not the user. Thats opposite of what PC makers were saying. He was right.
I couldn't agree more with this. And there's a lot of bad tech out there (e.g. windows). But I actually think Android has surpassed apple with it's UI.

·
Registered
2021 PS2 Launch Ed | Midnight | non-PP | tow hitch | 19” | tinted | ceramic coated
251 Posts
At the end of the day, Polestar is an EV car company not a software company. Tesla is making their own OS, others in the past incl Volvo (Sensus connect), etc have made their own OS, and having so many different OS systems doesn’t make sense as the work and technology is becoming more connected and integrated. So in general it seems to make sense to have a more common car OS that works. Android and Apple are the two biggest players in mobile technology and software, with hundreds of millions using one or the other. Polestar I think is rightfully doing their best to accommodate and allow integration of both, but, importantly, relies on Google and Apple to do much of the heavy lifting on the software side while Polestar does the heavy lifting on designing and building the cars.
The fact that PS is accommodating both, and it is moving in the right direction to be workable with both, I think iד great, and I am happy to be enjoying my Polestar as the integration continues to improve and expand.

·
Registered
2021 PS2 Launch Ed | Midnight | non-PP | tow hitch | 19” | tinted | ceramic coated
251 Posts
Just got of with Polestar Canada . They Stopp immediately the 2.2 software update due to technical issues …. Ajajaj good luck out there
Ha ha … Canadians never got 2.1 due to technicalities, and now we are being protected from 2.2 due to technicalities. Its great (for Canadians) that Polestar prioritizes protecting us from glitches 😂

·
Registered
112 Posts
At the end of the day, Polestar is an EV car company not a software company. Tesla is making their own OS, others in the past incl Volvo (Sensus connect), etc have made their own OS, and having so many different OS systems doesn’t make sense as the work and technology is becoming more connected and integrated.
Getting slightly OT here: I saw an overview video of the Cadillac Lyriq yesterday on YouTube and, although they don't mention it, it's clearly running AOSS. I could tell from the screen shots of the map software.

However (and slightly more on-topic) it's also clear that customizing AOSS for vehicles still requires significant work and IMO Polestar isn't nearly as good at it as they need to be. One thing I do find troubling is all of the little stuff that breaks in each release, despite the fact that the release is not advertised to have any modification to the affected system. I haven't looked at all into the details of AOSS but it doesn't seem like sub-systems are as well insulated from each other as I would hope.

·
Registered
130 Posts
They probably want to send their time doing things like going to the beach or socializing. I’ve been in the tech industry over 40 years and like my apple devices because they just work, together. I can do something on my iPhone and my iPad knows about it, set up a streaming service in our Apple TV and it’s always synched to the other devices.

It’s the same with the car; I just want my phone connected to the car. CarPlay is good because it’s a standard across the auto industry. If you own multiple vehicles its the same interface in them all, and synched with your other devices. If you hire a car no need to learn someone else’s infotainment or navigation system, just connect your phone.

Understand if you‘re not into the Apple ecosystem that isn’t attractive but it you are it’s really a big deal not to have it. For sure not having CarPlay will be costing Polestar sales.
That old trope: "Apple stuff just works, period." I don't know how this old lie still passes.

I've had an iPhone for a year and a half. Before that I was a long time Android user. Android has its issues but so does Apple. I can't tell you how many times iMessage is missing the keyboard or some of the plugins are missing and you have kill and relaunch iMessage to fix it. That's just one example.

·
Registered
94 Posts
That old trope: "Apple stuff just works, period." I don't know how this old lie still passes.

I've had an iPhone for a year and a half. Before that I was a long time Android user. Android has its issues but so does Apple. I can't tell you how many times iMessage is missing the keyboard or some of the plugins are missing and you have kill and relaunch iMessage to fix it. That's just one example.
Well, all I can say is I’ve been using iOS for 15 years, since the very first release and, with only a few exceptions, it’s always ‘just worked’.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts

Apple doesn't even have dedicated "back" or "home" buttons.

161 Posts
It's crazy that this issue was missed in testing. What do you want to bet that their test fleet doesn't have any cars running Imperial measurements because they're all based in Europe and possibly China?
Ha ha … Canadians never got 2.1 due to technicalities, and now we are being protected from 2.2 due to technicalities. Its great (for Canadians) that Polestar prioritizes protecting us from glitches 😂
Do youeqn we never got 2.1 at all? Or just not ota? Because I have 2.1, but it was installed by a Polestar tech.

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
343 Posts
In Android I can configure the back, home and scroll apps option to be activated by swiping up from the bottom edge. This frees up space on the screen. Steve Jobs championed removal of a physical keyboard to free up screen space to enable versatility yet in iOS space is taken up with the same functions.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Do youeqn we never got 2.1 at all? Or just not ota? Because I have 2.1, but it was installed by a Polestar tech.
Ah. I didn’t think anyone in Canada ended up getting 2.1. Certainly not OTA. but that was just based on rough analysis from this forum. Nothing official

·
Registered
84 Posts
Anyone born before 1990 would see this thread as the end of civilization based on the whining alone. If you’re born before 1970 it’s worse. For fuck’s sake does anyone actually employ anyone here? Anyone run a business?

Has anyone been anywhere where you go get your own water recently? (That’ll humble you real quick!).

I’m not saying to dont have expectations when buying something but oh my god what a bunch of whining over-privileged hens.

·
Registered
258 Posts
They probably want to send their time doing things like going to the beach or socializing. I’ve been in the tech industry over 40 years and like my apple devices because they just work, together. I can do something on my iPhone and my iPad knows about it, set up a streaming service in our Apple TV and it’s always synched to the other devices.
Which is no different to all my Google devices...

301 - 320 of 388 Posts