Polestar Forum banner
321 - 340 of 388 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyone born before 1990 would see this thread as the end of civilization based on the whining alone. If you’re born before 1970 it’s worse. For fuck’s sake does anyone actually employ anyone here? Anyone run a business?

Has anyone been anywhere where you go get your own water recently? (That’ll humble you real quick!).

I’m not saying to dont have expectations when buying something but oh my god what a bunch of whining over-privileged hens.
You know, this is whining too.

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
343 Posts
Anyone born before 1990 would see this thread as the end of civilization based on the whining alone. If you’re born before 1970 it’s worse. For fuck’s sake does anyone actually employ anyone here? Anyone run a business?

Has anyone been anywhere where you go get your own water recently? (That’ll humble you real quick!).

I’m not saying to dont have expectations when buying something but oh my god what a bunch of whining over-privileged hens.
I encounter plenty of suffering and grief in my day job. This is a place where I come to relax. I have a sense of perspective.

Lighten up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Trying to avoid the betamax / vhs round 3 discussion :)

Upgraded yesterday and had to reverse into a parking space today only to find both mirrors were [expletive]. This is pretty serious! I'm not terribly impressed regarding the km readout of range and odometer but that isn't as crippling as disabling the mirrors in a car with a poor rear view when reversing

·
Registered
10 Posts
2nd post NOT avoiding the tech war issue

As a family we all slowly ended up using Apple stuff around 7-8 years back. I was the last hold out with a Samsung phone and tablet. So we have multiple iPhones, iPads, Macs and MacPros.

Given all that I am still far more interested in Polestar developing the NATIVE solution. I've no interest in connecting my phone by a wire to a car to use it or part of its services. It's just a PITA

It should just work and to a large extent that has been true to date. The latest release should be a serious embarrassment to Polestar

·
Registered
100 Posts
Something weird is going on.

I’m still on 2.0 but the performance app popped up in my apps. I thought that was part of the 2.2 update! Anyone else have it show up and they are still on 2.0?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Performance app is just that - an app. It was pushed to the store (and cars) at the same time that 2.2 was released, but doesn't require 2.2 to run. I have it on 2.1 and the G-meter works fine. The launch part only works if you have the performance upgrade, which we can't get here yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Seems I am a rare case. I double checked this morning but all my values are still in miles, no mirror bug, everything working absolutely fine. Had the cloud symbol pop up a few hours after it was announced on FB. Yet to try carplay but turns out I dont have a lightning to USB C, not particularly excited about it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
2,219 Posts
Well this is certainly why they did it. But there's nothing I hate more than being locked into an ecosystem. And apple charges you an arm and a leg to stay in their fold. There was no apple when I started in the tech industry, so I have different proclivities. If the P2 had apple OS as the primary baked in system, I might not have even looked at it because apple simply doesn't play well with others.
The iPhone SE is cheaper than pretty much any 'premium' Android phone, so I just don't buy the 'arm and a leg' argument. There is not a single Android device on the market with more bang for the buck than the iPhone SE.

I also can't agree with the 'not playing well with others' statement either - it's just not true. Pretty much every accessory manufacturer has Apple compatibility at the absolute forefront of their decision making processes because it's the most important market. And because it's a 'closed' system, that compatibility and reliability is much easier to achieve on the single known platform.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Apple to be honest.

·
Super Moderator
2,219 Posts
Seems I am a rare case. I double checked this morning but all my values are still in miles, no mirror bug, everything working absolutely fine. Had the cloud symbol pop up a few hours after it was announced on FB. Yet to try carplay but turns out I dont have a lightning to USB C, not particularly excited about it anyway.
You had the cloud symbol pop up but did you actually install it? I can't see how you're the only person without the bugs!

Do you now have a green Apple CarPlay icon in one of the tiles?

·
Super Moderator
2,219 Posts
It's also a lot more expensive (and complicated) to put your app in the apple space compared to android, and that discourages a lot of smaller developers.
An Apple developer account is $99 per year... and for that you're pretty much guaranteed double or triple the revenue you'd get from an identical Play Store app.

I hope you don't think I'm being deliberately argumentative but it's just not a solid argument. I mean, yes, $99 is definitely more than $0 but in the big scheme of things, it's basically nothing...

·
Registered
Thunder, non PP, towbar
343 Posts
An Apple developer account is $99 per year... and for that you're pretty much guaranteed double or triple the revenue you'd get from an identical Play Store app.

I hope you don't think I'm being deliberately argumentative but it's just not a solid argument. I mean, yes, $99 is definitely more than $0 but in the big scheme of things, it's basically nothing...
What I inferred from @JRRF 's post is that development and testing of an Android app to ensure compatibility with a much wider range of devices can be a more time-consuming and therefore costly process which isn't helped by the likely lower revenue generated in comparison to iOS.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The iPhone SE is cheaper than pretty much any 'premium' Android phone, so I just don't buy the 'arm and a leg' argument. There is not a single Android device on the market with more bang for the buck than the iPhone SE.

I also can't agree with the 'not playing well with others' statement either - it's just not true. Pretty much every accessory manufacturer has Apple compatibility at the absolute forefront of their decision making processes because it's the most important market. And because it's a 'closed' system, that compatibility and reliability is much easier to achieve on the single known platform.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Apple to be honest.
Not playing well with others is more about software than hardware.

Connect an iPhone to a Ford Sync system before CarPlay support. You don't get notifications about texts and can't reply. You do on Android. This is probably true of other infotainment systems too, but I can't verify.

Try texting via your iPhone from a Windows or Linux computer. You can't. Only macOS. But if you have an Android phone, you can go to https://messages.android.com/ and text from any computer with a web browser, on any OS.

Apple Music still randomly plays music when I connect Bluetooth even though I never once intentionally launched the app and have gone through many guides and attempts to purge it fromy life.

And of course the most famous one... Try using iMessage on Android. Apple doesn't even need to build an iMessage app for Android, just support RCS. But they don't intentionally because they WANT people to suffer through the terrible SMS/MMS experience.

Edit: Struck parts about not being able to remove Apple Music and Apple News because I was wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2,219 Posts
What I inferred from @JRRF 's post is that development and testing of an Android app to ensure compatibility with a much wider range of devices can be a more time-consuming and therefore costly process which isn't helped by the likely lower revenue generated in comparison to iOS.
No, he claimed the opposite - that it was more expensive to develop for Apple.

321 - 340 of 388 Posts