Polestar Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· Super Moderator
Polestar 2 Dual Motor, Long Range, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
3,627 Posts
Well that’s not what Polestar tells us when asking into preheating. So are you just guessing or do you have anything to backup your claim?
It's always been in the manual; it was added when they first added climate timers, but was taken out a few months later without reason. It could have been re-introduced during the summer when no-one would have noticed?

It was all over the Facebook group when it was removed, with multiple people reporting it and it being confirmed by Polestar, but Facebook is almost impossible to get decent search results with.

· Registered
30 Posts
It's always been in the manual; it was added when they first added climate timers, but was taken out a few months later without reason. It could have been re-introduced during the summer when no-one would have noticed?

It was all over the Facebook group when it was removed, with multiple people reporting it and it being confirmed by Polestar, but Facebook is almost impossible to get decent search results with.
I find it strange that Polestar isn’t reconfirming that they removed it in stead of keeping on telling owners how to preheat. That simply doesn’t make sense.

· Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
I find it strange that Polestar isn’t reconfirming that they removed it in stead of keeping on telling owners how to preheat. That simply doesn’t make sense.
I can tell you've not had your Polestar as long as some of us then ;) Those of us who've been around from the start are used to inconsistencies in the manuals, the information provided and the reality.

It's actually really easy to test. Set it to preheat the cabin for a morning start while plugged into a.c. and then drive off. If the Trip Auto (TA) consumption rate shows more than about 40-50kWh/100miles then the battery's cold. If it shows 30-40kWh/100miles then the battery's warm. This is what people found last year in real-world tests. I'll test this when I go into work on Monday, if I remember...

• Helpful
Reactions: Mick

· Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
This morning, I pre-heated the car using the car's built-in timers (not remotely starting it using the app), and with it connected to the charger. After about 5 minutes of mostly 30-40mph driving, no traffic-lights etc, consumption was 55.0kWh/100miles. This strongly implies the battery is cold.

On Friday, I'll be doing the identical trip and will also pre-heat the car in the same way, but not plugged in. Then we can see if there's any difference - I'm expecting not.

· Registered
P*2 DMLR Midnight Plus+Pilot lite
117 Posts
I drove a 170km trip yesterday, it was -4'C. Car plugged in, used a timer. Checked from the wallbox that the car initially consumed 2kW, cabin heater was not yet active. After a while the cabin heater also kicked in, so everything worked as it should. Consumption on the trip was 23.7kWh/100km so not bad at all (av. speed around 100km/h).

· Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
Interesting - how do you know that the cabin heater was not yet active, when it was taking 2kW, and for how long? Also how old is your car? Just wondering if they've changed it since mine, which was delivered in December 2020.

· Registered
129 Posts
It amazes me how much confusion there is and that even the manual reads more like a oracle rather than the source of unambiguous truth.
My 2023 manual first of all calls it Parking heater when the App calls is climate.
then there is nothing about battery heater and only parking heater shows up in the search (added benefit it shows up twice). Nothing about battery here at all.

HOWEVER under activating / deactivating heater is states:
"The heater conditions the vehicle's battery and passenger compartment...." It also goes on to state that if you leave the heater off on a car that is already cold it will limit battery power.

Clear a muck all of it.

So far my very limited experience is -10/10 for being able to get into a warm car. I don't have a regular schedule so the timer function is for the birds for me, mostly (unfortunately). When temps are below 50F the consumption is in the mid 40s KWh/100mi without pushing it. I don't think it heats the battery, certainly not with the car disconnected.
my 2 cents

· Registered
1,710 Posts
We're into the colder days here, and the battery heating seems to work as intended (when plugged in with climate timer set, and car/battery are cold to start). Consumption is far lower than if I get in having not plugged the car in the previous night.

· Registered
P*2 DMLR Midnight Plus+Pilot lite
117 Posts
Interesting - how do you know that the cabin heater was not yet active, when it was taking 2kW, and for how long? Also how old is your car? Just wondering if they've changed it since mine, which was delivered in December 2020.
Empirical evidence :) Went to the car, it's quiet and windows are frosty. If interior climate is on the heat pump can be heard and the windows clear quickly. And this makes sense, as there's no point in heating up the cabin until 10 mins prior to departure or so. Car is a MY21, delivered in August.

· Registered
1,710 Posts
Empirical evidence :) Went to the car, it's quiet and windows are frosty. If interior climate is on the heat pump can be heard and the windows clear quickly. And this makes sense, as there's no point in heating up the cabin until 10 mins prior to departure or so. Car is a MY21, delivered in August.
MY21 does not have a heat pump. Did you mean the cabin air fan noise?

· Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
Remember that a lot of the initial power consumption is due to heating the cabin, so you can't tell for sure if it's heating the battery without doing an identical test twice, once with it connected to the mains, and once without. Ideally you would also have the climate control completely off too (once moving) to remove this from the equation.

· Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
Ok, so an update - today I did an identical test, though the outside weather was about 4-5C cooler - but this time not plugged in. The consumption at my checkpoint was 57kWh/100miles. Therefore I conclude that there is no battery heating, at least in my MY21 LRDM with no heat pump.

• Sad
Reactions: Mick

· Administrator
2,890 Posts
Ok, so an update - today I did an identical test, though the outside weather was about 4-5C cooler - but this time not plugged in. The consumption at my checkpoint was 57kWh/100miles. Therefore I conclude that there is no battery heating, at least in my MY21 LRDM with no heat pump.
So it seems they not only messed up pre-heating seats and steering wheel with preconditioning, but also pre-heating the battery?

· Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
Sadly yes...

· Super Moderator
3,627 Posts
I wonder if something is different then between MY21 and MY22? Does yours have a heat pump, perhaps the battery heating is included on heat pump cars? 🤔

21 - 38 of 38 Posts