Polestar Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2021, P2, London edition, 09xxx
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the forum. I've not seen anything related to my issues. I've had my P2 London edition for 2 weeks. Primary issues include:
1. When placing car in gear, pop-up msg on the dash reads something to the effect "System starting. Check..."and before you can read it, "Pull lever fully back" pops-up. Car was bricked. Tried shutting down infotainment, getting out and locking/unlocking to no avail. After the 5th try, I called support. Cut off the first time. Reached someone on the second try. Very nice rep but... (verbatim) "I'm sorry Mr. ..., I'm a Volvo service representative. We don't have a Polestar representative in on the weekend. I'll route your issue to the Manhattan service center. They will call you back tomorrow." While on the phone, the issue cleared itself w/o me doing anything. I figured this out when I tried to tell her what the pop-ups said.
2. Propulsion System Error. Contact Service. This was received on both infotainment and dash. Car was still drivable. Error repeated 3 more times on each drive that day. Called Support. After many minutes on hold, I was told, 'Give it a few days to see if it goes away. We've noticed this with some driver's.' It indeed went away, but...
3. What I would call severe battery drain. I'm reading were people are getting 22kWh avg on the high side. I'm running at 47+. This last drive was 35min, 27mph avg, 16.4mi. the drive started at 100% charge, ending at 88%. No extreme punching it to the floor. Just routine neighborhood driving.
4. Used pilot assist today on a highway road, one hand on the wheel at the 10 position. Without warning and nothing ahead, the car suddenly changed lanes and resisted when I corrected to keep it from going into the median. Unfortunately, there was a car behind approaching fast in the lane that we switched into. The car was less than 50' way. Not cool. Our original lane had no cars or obstructions in front of behind us.
5. Still no data service for the infotainment system. As such, it's not pulling any operating manual details other than main topics. And if it is pre-loaded (I would think it should be), any sub topics are not loading at all. Support apologized for the '...inconvenience. Our group responsible for that are working out how to get more connection services." [I'm located in a mid-size midwestern city; the usual ISPs are available]

Other than that, I love my car and love the compliments that I'm getting. I don't have buyers remorse and understand some quirks with a brand new line, but some of these are basic service 'make it right and fast' while others are 'bear with us and we'll get back to you with a more definitive answer in the next few hours'. Or am I asking for too much? This is not Volvo-like service. Not even close.

Updates as of 6/1
Issues 1, 2 & 4 have not occured again.
Issue 3: thanks to forum members for helping clarify for me and confirming that I'm getting similar battery performance
Issue 5: still no data. I finally sent an email stating how ridiculous this issue and lack of response is becoming. I will say that I received a pleasant response after Support tried calling me 3x and the call dropping. I assumed it was me since I was in a building with little signal. Here's the response:
- Check that the clock is on auto-time.
. In Settings, select system settings
. Date and Time
. Automatic time should be 'on'
- Try to make a Polestar Connect Call.
. Press and hold the 'Connect' button in the overhead console until a call begins
. Allow the call to go for about 2 minutes. Check to see if the 4G icon return during the call.
- Reset the head unit.
. Hold the white bar at the bottom of the screen for about 20 seconds
. Hold until you see 'Polestar 2'
. Keep holding when it says 'screen cleaning'
- Lock the vehicle and leave it for about 10 minutes.

I reset the infotainment again and data magically appeared. For a day. Then nothing. For almost a week now. I tried all steps just a few days ago. The PSupport operator was totally baffled as to why I was calling and asking them to stay on the line for 2 min to see if data would activate. He had never heard of this.

I responded back to the PS email advising that I'm still not connected. The bars move at least suggesting that it's getting signal, but x remains in the lower right corner of the signal bar and none of the apps that I managed to download during my 1 day of luck would connect. I'm now awaiting instructions on how to reset the 12v OR the car will need to be sent back to Manhattan (600+ mi away).

New issues
Issue 6: my spouse pulled the passenger visor down for the vanity mirror. The cover fell in her lap. It's clearly broken and will not reattach. She was the first passenger and with me when it happened so, yeah she's not fibbing.

Issue 7: pop up message "camera temporarily unavailable". I made 3 separate trips throughout the day. Each time, no camera available for tight maneuvering, reverse, and parking. I added this to my 'no data's email so waiting to hear back on this as well. Anyone else have this occur?

I still get rave reviews from those that have ridden with me or asked me what I'm driving. So far, I've kept the broken bits to myself. Frankly it's a bit embarrassing based on the pedigree and value of the car.

Update as of 24/1: WOW! Without going into all the details, I can absolutely say that Polestar rescued this customer from new brand remorse. I had issues ranging from cell connectivity to missing mats. Safe to say that one big thing coupled with several built-up frustrations boiled over. Apologies gave way to personalized contact and VERY close TLC paid to my P2. Actual Polestar representatives took matters into their hands to rolled out superior customer service. I've been in the service industry for several decades. I absolutely came away with a new perspective and appreciation for the Polestar brand. I'm looking forward to seeing it thrive and drive the marketplace.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,877 Posts
Items 1 and 2 are worrying - you've got a car that hasn't had the necessary recalls done. Get in contact with them straight away (phone, web chat etc) and get them to book the car in for all the recalls.

The rest are just the way the car is. Most people are getting 45kWh/100miles in these temperatures unless the runs are over about half an hour.

By data service do you mean all data access? Do Google maps and speech recognition work? If so, your data access is fine.

The online manual isn't working at the moment.

Might be worth a quick read of the FAQ:

·
Premium Member
3,433 Posts
1. I don't have those error messages. That's concerning. They should come collect your car and give you a loaner for free post haste.
2. Ditto.
3. 'Not quite sure what you're saying here, but if it's kWh/mile, nobody gets 22. Anything less than 40 in the winter weather, I think, is a "good" number. Nobody here is happy with the efficiency, but we're all dealing with it, I think. Search for the thread on consumption to get a better idea of what people are seeing.
4. I think you've got two issues here: the pilot assist and how it deals with salty roads and lanes being added and a sudden intervention or ghost obstacle. I haven't been using the pilot assist much as I don't like the constant little corrections I feel through the steering wheel. 'Not a big deal to me as I didn't expect to use it in the first place. The intervention due to a ghost obstacle is concerning. There haven't been that many reports, but there have been a couple on this forum. I haven't had a problem so I haven't messed with it, but I understand you can back the system off a bit, which I would do in your situation.
5. My manual doesn't work either. There have been lots of reports on this. I think the manual probably doesn't work for anybody in the car. I'm hoping that's fixed with the next OTA update.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry it's under these circumstances.

Reactions: dave

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Regarding your 22 figure, I think you might have seen online videos in countries using km instead of miles, so 22kWh/100km is equivalent to about 35kWh/100mi which is about right for warm temperatures but not when it's cooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Items 1 and 2 are worrying - you've got a car that hasn't had the necessary recalls done. Get in contact with them straight away (phone, web chat etc) and get them to book the car in for all the recalls.

The rest are just the way the car is. Most people are getting 45kWh/100miles in these temperatures unless the runs are over about half an hour.

By data service do you mean all data access? Do Google maps and speech recognition work? If so, your data access is fine.

Thanks! Regarding data, there's an x through the signal bar. No Google Maps or the like.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
There are a few suggested things in the FAQ which might help, but basically probably easiest to give customer services a call from your mobile while you're in the car as they can talk you through the options (hopefully!). Most important though is to get that recall work done as those uncorrected problems could leave you stranded at any point. They should not have delivered you a car without the recalls being done!

·
Registered
839 Posts
Also, if you could tell us what the last 5 digits of your VIN are (X-out the least significant 3 for privacy) we might have a better idea on where you sit in the production order and how likely the recalls will affect you. For example, mine is 11XXX and it is new enough not to have needed the inverter or HVCH replaced. Welcome to the forums!

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Yes, a very warm welcome! Forgot that bit!

My money is on a low 8xxx...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Thank god for this post. I was really starting to get concerned that my avg 44.8kWh over the last 1000 miles was ridiculously high!
I'd assume either less than 25miles trip or 80mph on the motorway in 5degC or less temp?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd assume either less than 25miles trip or 80mph on the motorway in 5degC or less temp?
My average commute to work is 23 miles. 6 miles at 40 and the rest at 70 pretty much. Have been dialling that back to 60 lately.
Then a weekly 58 mile round trip done at an even 30/60 chop and change through towns and nationals. However I am in Scotland so I'm assuming rain is a big contributing factor.

·
Super Moderator
2,877 Posts
Yup, wet roads, particularly with even a thin layer of water that generates spray, can easily see 10-15% knocked off your range.

·
Registered
Polestar 2, Snow, non-PP, Tow bar
312 Posts
I experienced my first no data services issues today after over a month of driving my P*2. Was near the coast, though had full signal. The x appeared on the data symbol and I couldn't restore it no matter what. Rebooted, turned data on/off, Etc. However, when I plugged the car into a 50kW charger the data came right data without any intervention. Coincidence, maybe? Just drove into a better signal area, perhaps? Or charging kick started some hidden subroutine in the infotainment apps code and restored data access? I'll never know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also, if you could tell us what the last 5 digits of your VIN are (X-out the least significant 3 for privacy) we might have a better idea on where you sit in the production order and how likely the recalls will affect you. For example, mine is 11XXX and it is new enough not to have needed the inverter or HVCH replaced. Welcome to the forums!
Thanks, Mick. Mine is 09xxx.

Thanks, Dave. FAQ was helpful! No issues with my drive today. I reconfirmed that the data ("x" on the signal indicator) is not connected from Polestar to a carrier as of yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts