• Original

Votes: 149 78.8%
  • Facelift

Votes: 40 21.2%
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

· Registered
2022 P2 Midnight PPP
390 Posts
I love the new face. It looks like they made more adjustments than just the smart zone…the hood looks to maybe go lower too? Otherwise I’d want to try and retrofit my car to that if possible.

this new one will also better align to the overall Polestar design language moving forward.

· Registered
P2 | LRSM | Moon | Pilot
162 Posts
The new front grille looks awful - like they put a placeholder bit of cheap plastic in while they designed the rest of the car, and forgot to replace it with the real component. Makes it clearer that it's an EV, but I don't necessarily think that's a good thing.
Perhaps it's more aerodynamic to have a flat surface compared to the nice one on the original P2s?

· Registered
1,737 Posts
Makes it clearer that it's an EV, but I don't necessarily think that's a good thing.
It is if you're an otherwise unknown EV brand, and you're trying to reach new customers. Joe or Jane Random driving down the street may see a current Polestar 2, and because of its very legacy ICE grill just assume that it is some other ICE. Having the newer non-grill grill is a quick and clear indicator, to even the non-automotive enthusiast, that this car is not ICE. Or at the very least, that something different is going on there.

· Banned
1,236 Posts
It is if you're an otherwise unknown EV brand, and you're trying to reach new customers. Joe or Jane Random driving down the street may see a current Polestar 2, and because of its very legacy ICE grill just assume that it is some other ICE. Having the newer non-grill grill is a quick and clear indicator, to even the non-automotive enthusiast, that this car is not ICE. Or at the very least, that something different is going on there.

Good point.

One thing I really like - a lot - about the current front grill of the P2, is the black/ABS plastic “grill”. The reason being, any painted flat surface like the one shown for the NEW/2024 P2, will be much more prone to showing “road rash”/ rock chips, etc. The current grill design helps reduce that.

IMO, one of the worst cars you can buy for this, is a Porsche 911…it’s a stone chip magnet (at least here on the east Coast), and unless you invest in PPF to protect the front of the car, you’re gonna get a lot of stone chips that can ruin the looks/paint. Even with the PPF, rock damage is almost inevitable.

· Registered
47 Posts
Of course we need to some time to get used to it, but the new family-look takes some character out of the car. If Polestar would go that way, why not changed the Thor hammer-design like the P3 immediately as well? The specs are (much) improved, and that is a good thing I think as it places the Polestar at the top of class. Pricing went up, but the basic model is stil very competitive and also much improved.

Seems a good technical upgrade to me. Still hoping for a red or blue color, all these soft colours make the car less expressive (especially the front now).

· Registered
1,737 Posts
Of course we need to some time to get used to it, but the new family-look takes some character out of the car. If Polestar would go that way, why not changed the Thor hammer-design like the P3 immediately as well?
Cost, plain and simple. Redesigning the headlights is super expensive, given the R&D and certifications that need to go into that. And in the end, they'd still have to fit them into the existing openings, unless then they're also going to invest in retooling for the fenders, and/or hood, and/or bumper. Then they'd also have to stock inventory of both the old design (with and without Pixel tech) and this new design. It adds up quickly. Whereas changing out the grill is relatively cheap in the grand scheme of things, especially if it retains the underlying hardware/tech.

· Banned
1,236 Posts
Until very recently, all my cars have been darker colors…dark blue, dark gray, black, dark maroon. I think they just make the car stand out, and look sharp. But with that comes the need to constantly keep the car washed, to look sharp, as it shows the road dirt a lot more than lighter colored cars.

As is, most EV’s I see on the road, and especially Tesla’s, are white. Is that to help reduce the thermal load in the interior of the car?

But agree, a few more color options would be nice….

· Registered
473 Posts
Until very recently, all my cars have been darker colors…dark blue, dark gray, black, dark maroon. I think they just make the car stand out, and look sharp. But with that comes the need to constantly keep the car washed, to look sharp, as it shows the road dirt a lot more than lighter colored cars.

As is, most EV’s I see on the road, and especially Tesla’s, are white. Is that to help reduce the thermal load in the interior of the car?

But agree, a few more color options would be nice….
Most companies have white as the base colour. Tesla charge £2900 for the much nicer red, so you'll see a lot less of them!

· Registered
1,737 Posts
That's not just EVs. In general it's the correlation between ownership type (lease vs. purchase) and expected ownership period (3-5 years versus "til the wheels fall off") that has driven car colors. People purchase based on what's available on the lot (US selling model) and what they expect will retain value for resale.

Back in the day that people would buy their cars and basically drive them into the ground (granted cars had much shorter useful lives), you saw way more color variety. There was also a fair bit more ordering that took place, but dealers also stocked more variety, because people bought the car....for themselves.

But now, not only have cars shifted more toward being a commodity/appliance, people don't buy them to have them for the life of the vehicle, if they buy them at all. As a result, the vast majority of US buyers will buy or lease something already sitting on the lot. The dealer/manufacturers are incentivised to push whites/silvers/greys/black as lease vehicles because they're easiest to sell when they come off lease. Dealers are most likely to stock those colors for that reason....and so the walk-in cash/finance buyer is most likely to buy that color because A) it's there, and B) they're led to believe it will retain the most value. So it's this vicious cycle.

· Registered
71 Posts
I was wondering what you guys think about the facelift of P2. I appreciate the extra range and stuff, but that front face reminds me of something that KIA would do. If they kept it black, it might have been much smoother transition from current P2 design.
My general gut-feeling is that the stretched out P3 "grille" only really looked good on the P3.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts