• Original

Votes: 117 79.6%
  • Facelift

Votes: 30 20.4%
21 - 40 of 102 Posts

· Registered
1,704 Posts
I do. Buy, that is.

Maybe that‘s why so many people are in debt?
When I say "buy", that's inclusive of cash purchase and finance. I'm just making the distinction from leasing.

In general, unless the interest rates are absolutely crazy high, then a cash buy is a negative to me. We can make more from investing the available cash while carrying the interest, than we can from taking the initial loss of available cash by purchasing the car outright. There are fairly few scenarios where buying outright results in a better net outcome, long-term, than financing. Debt is absolutely fine as long as it's managed and offset.

But...this is a convo for a different thread probably.

· Registered
185 Posts
The new front grille looks awful - like they put a placeholder bit of cheap plastic in while they designed the rest of the car, and forgot to replace it with the real component. Makes it clearer that it's an EV, but I don't necessarily think that's a good thing.
Perhaps it's more aerodynamic to have a flat surface compared to the nice one on the original P2s?
Land vehicle Automotive parking light Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting

It’s just a design move towards an EV standard Volvo ‘look’ as it transitions from ICE vehicles. What it does do is stretch the frontal area visually by replacing the black grill with a narrower, body coloured panel. There is still a black section below that. This has the effect of making the frontal area appear wider and cementing a creative link to the PS3.

Car Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Land vehicle

I am not averse to this design ‘improvement’. I do like the improvements in the rear motor and the increased battery size. Close to 300 miles for the single motor seems like a dramatic improvement and the inclusion of other ‘packs’ as standard features is also welcome. All in all, I think it is an improvement worth purchasing when my lease is up - Good is getting better.

· Registered
1,704 Posts
View attachment 21591

It’s just a design move towards an EV standard Volvo ‘look’ as it transitions from ICE vehicles. What it does do is stretch the frontal area visually by replacing the black grill with a narrower, body coloured panel. There is still a black section below that. This has the effect of making the frontal area appear wider and cementing a creative link to the PS3.

View attachment 21590

I am not averse to this design ‘improvement’. I do like the improvements in the rear motor and the increased battery size. Close to 300 miles for the single motor seems like a dramatic improvement and the inclusion of other ‘packs’ as standard features is also welcome. All in all, I think it is an improvement worth purchasing when my lease is up - Good is getting better.
And that was also the first pass at an EV grill insert for the XC40, which was not well received. They ditched that and gave it what they designed for the C40.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

· Registered
SRSM, Pilot lite & Plus,Midnight
117 Posts
Back in the 60's we used to put cardboard, across 50% of the radiator intake, in the winter to allow the car to warm up quickly.
The new design(s) looks like they have gone back to the 60's

The "radiators" are quite tall and thin (looking at some of the crash rebuild pictures) so a "statement" grille - think Jag - would be in order.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I wonder if they will lose market share because of the grill. I would imagine P2 is acquiring a lot of ICE users because of its original purpose to be an ICE car. This new "100% EV" vibe might put off those transitioning to an EV.

· Registered
1,704 Posts
I wonder if they will lose market share because of the grill. I would imagine P2 is acquiring a lot of ICE users because of its original purpose to be an ICE car. This new "100% EV" vibe might put off those transitioning to an EV.
I cannot imagine that there's a high market share of people that "want an EV, but want it to look like it has an ICE" versus people who want an EV but have no idea what Polestar is or that it even exists as an EV brand.

· Registered
SRSM, Pilot lite & Plus,Midnight
117 Posts
Imagine (if you will) the upper "radiator" blended into the front bumper (fender) and a light bar joining the Thor elements of the lights. Then widen the lower air inlets by about 100mm (4") on both sides.

I guess this would "widen" the car and give it a more aggressive image

· Registered
1,704 Posts
Has the interior pictures been released? Wonder if they made any changes at all
Not yet, and I wouldn't expect much, if any meaningful interior changes. One thing that maybe they could add/change, is to align the dash lighting with what's planned for the Polestar 3. What that would mean is adding an optional yellowish-orange coloring for Performance Pack cars. But even that, I wouldn't bet on.

· Registered
185 Posts
I do. Buy, that is.

Maybe that‘s why so many people are in debt?
Well, I’m currently leasing my PS2. When the lease is up I’ll buy a new one but it won’t be for the life of the vehicle. It’ll be till the end of my life. That way I’ll get lots of enjoyment, it’ll get looked after better and, like after twenty years with my Volvo xc90, it’ll do me till I pass away before the battery loses 20% of its capability. Bit like me in the last 20% of mine. Beneficiaries of my estate can fight over it then. Ha. Ha.

· Registered
1,203 Posts
Well, I’m currently leasing my PS2. When the lease is up I’ll buy a new one but it won’t be for the life of the vehicle. It’ll be till the end of my life. That way I’ll get lots of enjoyment, it’ll get looked after better and, like after twenty years with my Volvo xc90, it’ll do me till I pass away before the battery loses 20% of its capability. Bit like me in the last 20% of mine. Beneficiaries of my estate can fight over it then. Ha. Ha.

Stay healthy, my friend.

· Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor
12 Posts
There's zero chance of getting it the same way as what's in the MY24 cars, because they'll make use of different motors front and rear.
I know it's different motors, but with individual motors on each wheel the rear bias must be an ECU map surely?
Same for many ICE cars. I'd have thought be even easier on an EV

· Registered
1,704 Posts
I know it's different motors, but with individual motors on each wheel the rear bias must be an ECU map surely?
Same for many ICE cars. I'd have thought be even easier on an EV
Nope. The current cars have motors of equal output front and rear. They've managed some trickery, but it's mostly 50/50 power distribution. The MY24 has a bigger rear motor that will be the primary power source most of the time, with the front kicking in when needed.

Font Rectangle Circle Number Pattern

· Registered
4,724 Posts
Nope. The current cars have motors of equal output front and rear. They've managed some trickery, but it's mostly 50/50 power distribution. The MY24 has a bigger rear motor that will be the primary power source most of the time, with the front kicking in when needed.

View attachment 21604
Seems you could still get RWD biased power delivery in the lower ends of the power delivery curve to optimize for that tail happy driving feel. I'm thinking as the car is pulling out of a turn when you're not slammed on the accelerator, but trying to get a good oomph to straighten out you could do something like 25% of front output and 50-75% of rear output [not sure that exactly works out; saying those values for illustration]. Then as power being requested goes to 100%, when you're straight on anyway, you get 50-50 distribution for the cars with equal front/rear motors.

Edit: y'all holding tight to your ICE grille fetishes are weird AF. The new Polestars look just as sexy to me as my current ones.

· Registered
Polestar 2 Dual Motor
12 Posts

View attachment 21604
Wow really suprised by that. Thought beauty of an electric motor was you could alter the power indefinitely and independently from the others.

· Registered
1,704 Posts
Seems you could still get RWD biased power delivery in the lower ends of the power delivery curve to optimize for that tail happy driving feel. I'm thinking as the car is pulling out of a turn when you're not slammed on the accelerator, but trying to get a good oomph to straighten out you could do something like 25% of front output and 50-75% of rear output [not sure that exactly works out; saying those values for illustration]. Then as power being requested goes to 100%, when you're straight on anyway, you get 50-50 distribution for the cars with equal front/rear motors.

Edit: y'all holding tight to your ICE grille fetishes are weird AF. The new Polestars look just as sexy to me as my current ones.
I don't pretend to understand how they manage power delivery and inverters, etc. All I know that there seems to be some limit given the existing Polestar hardware. The Performance Software seems to do about as much as possible, but that's no substitute for a physically larger rear motor.

· Registered
4,724 Posts
I don't pretend to understand how they manage power delivery and inverters, etc. All I know that there seems to be some limit given the existing Polestar hardware. The Performance Software seems to do about as much as possible, but that's no substitute for a physically larger rear motor.
I too am not an automotive engineer.
To be sure, I am mostly talking speculatively, completely out of my ass (rear-biased!) as one does on the internet.

21 - 40 of 102 Posts