Which design do you prefer

• Original

Votes: 117 79.6%
  • Facelift

Votes: 30 20.4%
61 - 80 of 103 Posts

· Registered
185 Posts
Its not a grill thing, its a style thing. the flat "grill" looks like an after thought, and much less aggressive than the black grill. There is a frame for the grill, but only a flat panel; It just seems featureless to me. Which is what I don't like about the Tesla 3. but it is all connected, because the Black version of the car, with the black front panel, looks good to me:
View attachment 21605
I mean, that just looks bad-ass. I do like the new wheels:
View attachment 21606
The design should be seen as a transition. Essentially, Polestar doesn’t want to ‘scare the horse’ by making too radical a jump from radiator grill to blank nose. Elon Musk took a big risk eliminating a grill and lots of people criticised that move. After ten years it looks normal - well for a Tesla. The first automotives were transitioning from carriages with a driver up front in the cold and wet while the occupants were enclosed in a box behind. The first cars looked like this because people wouldn’t have bought them. Over time they transitioned into a fully enclosed box where the ‘driver’ was no longer the hired help. It’s a path towards something not the actual something so be patient. It looks like the ‘panel’ is becoming a ‘smart zone’ so watch for this coming as designs develop.

· Registered
2,020 Posts
The design should be seen as a transition. Essentially, Polestar doesn’t want to ‘scare the horse’ by making too radical a jump from radiator grill to blank nose. Elon Musk took a big risk eliminating a grill and lots of people criticised that move. After ten years it looks normal - well for a Tesla. The first automotives were transitioning from carriages with a driver up front in the cold and wet while the occupants were enclosed in a box behind. The first cars looked like this because people wouldn’t have bought them. Over time they transitioned into a fully enclosed box where the ‘driver’ was no longer the hired help. It’s a path towards something not the actual something so be patient. It looks like the ‘panel’ is becoming a ‘smart zone’ so watch for this coming as designs develop.
Sadly I think you are right, and agree. I mean an automatic gearbox used to be standard and now is back. And ofcourse electric cars existed well before internal combustion engines. It is inevitable, and they all will change. But I'd rather they come up with a proper design opposed this halfway houses that just makes it look like a half way house.

· Registered
185 Posts
Sadly I think you are right, and agree. I mean an automatic gearbox used to be standard and now is back. And ofcourse electric cars existed well before internal combustion engines. It is inevitable, and they all will change. But I'd rather they come up with a proper design opposed this halfway houses that just makes it look like a half way house.
As I said (in more words than was probably necessary) it halfway to something. But then I embrace change, uncertainty and risk. All designers do. It’s not that we reject conformity it‘s more that we seek innovation and change (probably for the better but not always). Otherwise we would still be driving round in horse driven carriages, wouldn‘t we?

· Registered
28 Posts
I'm not a fan of the new grill but it wouldnt put me off buying one.

I was reading last night that there is a increase in charge capacity, bhp of the motors etc. Is any of this hardware-specific or will PS2 Gen 1 owners see any of this via software updates??

· Registered
185 Posts
EXACTLY! Different colors seem more "right" with this design. I personally think the panel being black or the frame being black would look cool.
Magnesium is the new ‘black’. Simple, bright colours tend to attract buyers who want to shout out about their purchase. Children tend to attracted by primary colours. Subtle colours tend denote a buyer who is comfortable in their own skin, more mature and is more reserved. Just sayin’

· Registered
185 Posts
Back in the 60's we used to put cardboard, across 50% of the radiator intake, in the winter to allow the car to warm up quickly.
The new design(s) looks like they have gone back to the 60's

The "radiators" are quite tall and thin (looking at some of the crash rebuild pictures) so a "statement" grille - think Jag - would be in order.
Ha. Ha. Ha. I did. that too. Generally the engines were designed to operate using a wax thermostat which used to get jammed in the housing and fail. This was a way of heating the engine quickly and to keep it hot during the cold spells. 1963 in the UK was very cold and for a long period of time. We built igloos which lasted two months! It was the time we used cardboard tied to the front grill with string so the engine was not over cooled and ran more efficiently as a result. Oh, those were the days before preconditioning - scraping the ice of the windows in the freezing cold before going to work.

· Registered
954 Posts
It’s a tough design challenge to retrofit a new corporate face onto an existing model and I think this does a decent-enough job. I like that the sensors and camera look integrated and flush rather than bolted-on. And I think this will make a lot of sense alongside 3 and 4 as those vehicles start to hit.

· Registered
4,724 Posts
What tech improvements does this new grill provide? It’s not at all clear if this adds new capabilities, or maybe just has a better camera. What’s the functional benefit?
aero

possibly allows more heating elements to keep the radar etc from freezing over

and aero

· Registered
185 Posts
I wonder how long it will be before this grill/ plate is available as a fake Gen 2 upgrade on Alibaba ?? I recon I could 3D print one tomorrow and be the first Gen 2 in the UK 🤔
It’s funny how people react to change they don’t want. When I worked as VPAA at Kanas City Art Institute the artists refused to use new titanium oxide white and insisted on using lead oxide white - because they had always used it and it was “really white”. Didn’t mind that it was poisonous.

When Kodak sent out a memo saying they were stopping making slide projectors, the same artists and liberal arts people went ‘bananas’. They decided that they would buy up as many Kodak projectors as possible and spend the next century cannibalising them instead of moving to digital projectors. Change threatens what people know and love in strange ways.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts