Polestar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Thunder, 19” wheels, charcoal interior, PPF Ceramic Coat & tinted windows, Black painted mirrors
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First the trip- 720 mi round trip. 1st leg to Paso Robles from San Diego. 2 charge stops, could have made one one, but for first trip wanted to be careful and see how accurate Google was (not very). Never used ChargePoint or their partner EVgo as ElectrifyAmerica was faster and more accessible. Now for return trip. Paso to Camarillo, Google said I would need a charge stop. I didn’t believe it but again to be safe planned a stop in Santa Barbara. Got to Santa Barbara with more than enough charge to continue to Camarillo. Good thing cause chargers were not available in SB. Got to Camarillo and here is where the trouble began. Since ChargePoint has few of any level 3 chargers I opted to use EVgo 50w chargers. Well the connection kept failing even though I have over $460 of credit. Had to call EVgo and have them start the charge AND PAY FOR IT. So much for the charging partnership. Ok, now to San Fernando Valley to see my daughter. Once there I knew I would need another charge to make it from there. Tried 3 different EVgo chargers with the same connection fail message. Tried with my EVgo card and no problem. So, clearly an issue trying to charge via ChargePoint at EVgo chargers. I now had 81%. Planned route via Google for San Diego. Google said I would be at -13% when I arrived. With past experience I didn’t believe this. So headed out. About 30 miles into the drive Google’s calculation now said -15% on arrival REALLY. Anyway, rest of trip uneventful. When arriving at SD I had 28% charge left. So, Google was off by 41-43%. Not real good calc. And my use rate was between 32-33 per 100 miles.
The End

·
Registered
7 Posts
Before I did my recent 1300 mile road trip around California I went to EV Go, ElectrifyAmerica and Chargepoint twice each to make sure it would work. I used EV Go, ElectrifyAmerica as well as many free chargers. Total costs was only $ 35.00.

·
Registered
Thunder, 19” wheels, charcoal interior, PPF Ceramic Coat & tinted windows, Black painted mirrors
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I did my recent 1300 mile road trip around California I went to EV Go, ElectrifyAmerica and Chargepoint twice each to make sure it would work. I used EV Go, ElectrifyAmerica as well as many free chargers. Total costs was only $ 35.00.
Yeah mine was about the same. My complaint is Polestar gives us $500 credit with ChargePoint, which for all intents and purposes is worthless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have used Chargepoint in various places. I had an issue with one of the apps that needed to be deleted and then load the new one and that solved many problems.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have used Chargepoint in various places. I had an issue with one of the apps that needed to be deleted and then load the new one and that solved many problems.
ChargePoint isn’t the issue. They have a sharing partnership with EVgo where we can charge at EVgo on our ChargePoint credit. However it doesn’t work. The other problem with ChargePoint is most of their chargers ( at least in SoCal) are slow.

·
Registered
12 Posts
ChargePoint uses the “anchor” model where they don’t operate the chargers them selves, but provide the infrastructure for businesses who want to provide charing to customers; this includes a payment systems for buisness that want to use a pay model. ChargePoint chargers supports multiple amp ranges, so they are easy to retrofit for a business, but that also means some locations may only 20-30 amps; all depends on the install.

ChargePoint does have Level3 rapid chargers though and Harley Dealerships in Colorado seem to have them. Go figure.

·
Registered
691 Posts
The only ChargePoint L3 charger near me is in the Horn Lake, MS area and is at a Harley Davidson dealership. It worked fine for me with my ChargePoint credit - this was a couple of months ago.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,438 Posts
Gotta love a good Toad trip :). Is that where you lick those pyschadelic toads for a bit, just for the buzz man?

·
Registered
420 Posts
First the trip- 720 mi round trip. 1st leg to Paso Robles from San Diego. 2 charge stops, could have made one one, but for first trip wanted to be careful and see how accurate Google was (not very). Never used ChargePoint or their partner EVgo as ElectrifyAmerica was faster and more accessible. Now for return trip. Paso to Camarillo, Google said I would need a charge stop. I didn’t believe it but again to be safe planned a stop in Santa Barbara. Got to Santa Barbara with more than enough charge to continue to Camarillo. Good thing cause chargers were not available in SB. Got to Camarillo and here is where the trouble began. Since ChargePoint has few of any level 3 chargers I opted to use EVgo 50w chargers. Well the connection kept failing even though I have over $460 of credit. Had to call EVgo and have them start the charge AND PAY FOR IT. So much for the charging partnership. Ok, now to San Fernando Valley to see my daughter. Once there I knew I would need another charge to make it from there. Tried 3 different EVgo chargers with the same connection fail message. Tried with my EVgo card and no problem. So, clearly an issue trying to charge via ChargePoint at EVgo chargers. I now had 81%. Planned route via Google for San Diego. Google said I would be at -13% when I arrived. With past experience I didn’t believe this. So headed out. About 30 miles into the drive Google’s calculation now said -15% on arrival REALLY. Anyway, rest of trip uneventful. When arriving at SD I had 28% charge left. So, Google was off by 41-43%. Not real good calc. And my use rate was between 32-33 per 100 miles.
The End
Really surprised Google was that far off. I've never had it miss by more than 2-3% here in the UK

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$500.00 credit? I don’t remember them saying anything about that when I got mine. How do I get that?
Don't know. I got an email saying I would receive $500 ChargePoint card. About 2 weeks later I got a letter with the info. I put the code in to my ChargePoint account and have a $500 credit which is good for 10 years. I would check with whoever delivered your car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts