Polestar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting review by Auto Motor and Sport - apparently they are quite popular in Germany. English subtitles available.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Funny guys even in subtitles. The storage test with dogs was hilarious. Came to same conclusions as most. Tesla has better EV tech with supercharging, frequent updates, range and better performance. Polestar builds an electric car for traditionalists, overall a better daily driver, more refined.

My main cons against the M3 is they 'threw the baby out with bathwater' to save cost, weight and market it as minimalist. The M3 should have a proper instrument panel - looking to a screen to the side seems distracting personally. Some functions would also be best using switches and buttons like mirror adjustments instead of trying to find it through menus/submenus.

I dont care if one car is marginally faster. They are both faster than anyone needs unless you drag race regularly. The supercharger network is a plus if you need it for your car use.

I would choose the Polestar.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I dont care if one car is marginally faster. They are both faster than anyone needs unless you drag race regularly. The supercharger network is a plus if you need it for your car use.
It always surprises me how many people pull out the "faster" card. Who cares! Fast enough is all anyone needs on public roads. How hard do you need to snap your neck?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think Elon must be obsessed with acceleration time. I believe Jag could have tuned the Ipace to go faster but they made a choice so in the long run the batteries wouldnt be damaged amongst other things. I think it's actually dangerous to have cars that can go this fast. My kids will not be able to resist trying it out when it comes time for them to drive.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I think Elon must be obsessed with acceleration time. I believe Jag could have tuned the Ipace to go faster but they made a choice so in the long run the batteries wouldnt be damaged amongst other things. I think it's actually dangerous to have cars that can go this fast. My kids will not be able to resist trying it out when it comes time for them to drive.
GM actually has a teen mode for their cars that you can set. It prevents the car from going above a certain speed, or accelerating too fast.

I laugh at all the Taycan vs. Model S comparisons. There is absolutely no comparison between those two cars and a tenth of a second is meaningless at those speeds. The Porsche is actually designed in every way to go fast, while the Tesla just increases electric motor output -- everything else be damned.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Interesting that the M3, which is supposedly faster and with more go-kart-ish handling was a second slower (out of 42-43 sec) than the P*2 on a go kart track. Given that the M3P's main advantage over the M3LR is high battery-->motor output yielding higher speed, I doubt that would have made the difference given the go kart track is more about the twists and turns.

Also interesting that the EV skeptic liked the P*2 while the EV aficionado liked the M3.
My psychoanalysis is that if you've spent the last few years evangelizing EVs, then it probably feels like sacrilege to go against Tesla and the M3. They've already rationalized away all the little things that have kept EV skeptics from jumping into EVs because of Tesla's choices (no driver dash panel??? no analog door handles?? no window wiper buttons/switches on the M3??). And instead they've focused on the great 0->60, range, etc - which is what Tesla does well.

So, when cars come that do the little things well, like the Taycan, IPace, and now P*2, they can only analyze on the basis of what Tesla does well: range/charging, 0->60, etc. - and they minimize all the other features. Meanwhile the rest of us are happy with the other features, because range and 0->60 isn't the end all be all.

I think the P*2 (and Taycan, IPace, Niro/Kona, MachE, ID3/ID4 i4/iX3,...) is for all the folks who have found Tesla to be insufficient - which I think is the vast majority of folks out there.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Here's something else to consider about the model 3.
Interesting. I always thought too many basic car controls had been moved to touch screens - this isn't just a Tesla thing but they are the biggest culprits - and there should be a standard of what a driver needs to control a car, and these should be physical interfaces.

I mean on my Kia Stinger right now I have a little button that if I push up I get heated seats going from 3-2-1 ... and then if I push down I get chilled ventilated seats ... again 3-2-1 for each push. If I'm on Heated and pushed down once it's turned off (and vise versa). This is probably the most use button in the car apart from wipers! And yes I know the P*2 is via the control panel ... but it's a small sacrifice I've made, but doesn't mean I have to like it.

I hope in time manufactures find the right balance between what can be in the main central control panel and what people want physical buttons for. But my guess in the future there will be no screen ... all voice controlled ... and just a virtual cockpit - just because it's "cool"

·
Registered
732 Posts
Agreed. Voice control is no substitute for tactile control. I tend to not do anything on the touch screen until I'm on a road where I can set the ACC.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another one here - UK test

That centre console material and front seats not being supportive is a let down for me personally which I kinda anticipated from other reviews till now.

Lots of cars in this price point have cheaper materials on the centre console but because the console is very high, it would make it even more obvious.

In terms of side bolster support, Volvo/Polestar should do a better job than this. Calling this as a performance car and not offering supportive seats isn't very good tbh:cautious:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Another one here - UK test
I'm getting tired of people comparing it to the Model 3 Performance ... because Tesla's Model 3 Long Range is much closer on price and performance. The P*2 performance pack should have just been called "Track Pack" or something. It does nothing except give you gold coloured things and a wheel/suspension upgrade. In essence it is a "performance" upgrade going around bends faster but not in the same way the M3 LR vs Performance is.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Performance - Volvo style - has never been what you would call exceptional in the last 100 years 😐

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm surely biased towards the P*2 but I feel like he undercounted some particular issues of the M3 in the review.

For example, while knocking the P*2 center console, he forgot to mention how cheap the M3's center console (and overall interior) is - the lid on the front cubby doesn't stay closed well and is also covered in glossy piano black. Also, you can see when he sits in the rear the legs are pushed high up for the side passengers in the M3 vs the P*2, which to me (admittedly, not that tall) is more uncomfortable than the headspace. And several reviewers have commented that the P*2 is much quieter inside than the M3 so I'm a bit surprised he suggested they were near equivalent?

In terms of ride quality, handling, etc this reviewer is the only one that definitely prefers the M3. Carpervert pretty clearly thought the P*2 was the better package. Fully Charged noted they felt more comfortable taking a turn at speed in the P*2 than the M3. Carwow thought the P*2 ride was too firm (common criticism; to be seen what base suspension and wheels yields) but at least seemed to put the rest of the drive on par. I couldn't get a sense from the nonEnglish reviews (auto-generated subtitles are only so good), but in general the reviewers seem to have given the drive handling edge to the P*2.

Re seat comfort, apparently the leather option is softer/more plush and in terms of side support, will note that in the first post in this thread's video, they were slipping/sliding throughout their twisty track test in the M3 while they seemed to trust the handling and be more comfortable in the P*2.

WhatCar then seems to be an outlier, which is fine. It's entirely expected that there will be some variance.

For me, I'm going to try to re-test drive the M3 LR (and MY LR?) near to when I would do a P*2 (base package) test drive. My bias going into it is I'm going to like the interior and overall feel better in the P*2 than the M3 - my first M3 test drive did not inspire confidence. If so, I'll go with the P*2. I personally value interior comfort and practicality (e.g. driver dash display) more than track-relevant drive characteristics.

If I find the P*2 ride too firm/uncomfortable and the interior feeling as blah then, given that the M3 is significantly cheaper here, I guess I'll convince the wife to get over her misgivings about Musk and go with the M3 - or I'll try to re-haggle the local Jag dealer to get a better deal on an IPace.

·
Registered
703 Posts
YouTube Reviewers want conflict and drama so people comment a lot in the comments section. So they will often deliberately miss stuff so people will comment and create hits on their video.

It's not as bad as click bait titles ... or flat out lie just for those sub's ... but it really doesn't help the consumer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here's my list of Polestar 2 features missing in the Model 3.
I already posted this in other forums, sorry if it's redundant.
But I feel it's useful for anyone comparing the two.

** indicates Tesla deal breakers for me
I live in a place with really harsh winters, most of my ** are related to this reality.
The Polestar 2 will be much more enjoyable during winter.

Hardware
Driver instrument display **
Hatchback trunk (easy access to boot, power-lift, foot detector) **
Premium interior materials
Wireless phone charger
Proper exterior door handles **
Proper interior door handles **
Proper vents
Proper glove compartment
Proper auto wipers **
Physical controls (Wipers, Volume, Play / Pause, Front and Rear Defrost) **

Winter optimization
Heated steering wheel **
Heated wiper blades **
Framed windows **
Protected rocker panels and wheel arches **
Charge port looks weather-proof **
Headlights high-pressure washers
Raised ground clearance
Ski hatch

Usability
360 cam view
Google Integration
Multiple waypoints navigation
Map displays all types of charging stations
All car settings can be voice controlled
Customizable main display
Big buttons and readable text **
Comes with free key fob
Rear passengers controls (heated seats, vents on/off)
Apple Car Play (coming later)

Things I expect and will hopefully get
Drip-proof hatchback gutter **
Proper paint job
Rugged undercarriage free of textile composite
Reasonable insurance costs (no aluminum = cheaper body work)
Reasonable repair costs
Un-flawed flash memory management

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
Love your list. Does the Tesla have fold down rear seats? How about the emergency equipment stowed securely in the frunk? OEM tow bar?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts