1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think this is some of the best advice anyone could give.
I agree, and frequently give this advice to people trying to decide. The car has to speak to you, or move you. But if there are serious build issues beyond just panel gaps, I would think another review would be prudent.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I think that is absolutely fair. Saying that at the point I test drove the P* I hadn't found this forum and as such only Tesla build quality issues were immediately visible. Obviously a number of somewhat hairy scary stories exist on here now and also the various FB groups, although I find those to be less busy in all honesty. I hope this pans out for me, despite the worries, I do see so much love I feel it will be great, and if it even gets me close to the smiles I still put out when I drive my A4 Black Edition I will be a happy bunny (and based on the test drive I think it will).

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was wondering why P2 range was not looking so good (even allowing for winter temps etc) and Tesla's seem to be improving. This piece (though it's a year old now) discusses Tesla's approach to battery development, it would seem that we may benefit from greater longevity...and less risk of fire and other hazards...
Is anyone with any technical expertise in a this able to assess this, and what the chances are that further Polestar software updates might improve matters for us?

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wondering why P2 range was not looking so good (even allowing for winter temps etc) and Tesla's seem to be improving. This piece (though it's a year old now) discusses Tesla's approach to battery development, it would seem that we may benefit from greater longevity...and less risk of fire and other hazards...
Is anyone with any technical expertise in a this able to assess this, and what the chances are that further Polestar software updates might improve matters for us?
I think the article makes the technical points pretty clear. But the main problem with this article is that it is so focused on range. Range anxiety is the primary focus of the press when it comes to EVs, Tesla likes it that way, but it's a fallacy. Some salient points from the article:

“My belief is that Tesla is more willing to risk their battery not lasting 8 to 10 years and just dealing with the consequences on the back-end,” said Michael Ramsey, a senior director and analyst specializing in the evolution of the auto industry with Gartner’s CIO Research Group "

"The car originally had 265 miles of range, he said. But in April Tesla pushed a software update aimed at protecting the battery from an unspecified issue and to improve its overall life. Singh said the updates took away about 40 miles of range."

Tesla created this revolution which is great, but they have yet to earn the respect of a great car company. They have cut so many corners over the years because they don't know much about cars. Another case in point in addition to the many in the original article I sighted, Musk bought some of the earlier dashboard tablets on the open consumer market because they were so much cheaper. They started turning yellow and failing. A real car company knows that the car environment is not your typical consumer environment. Everything has to be hardened for temperature, humidity, and vibration. Tesla cuts these corners all the time. They don't even know what six sigma is. They are a tech company that is only concerned with time to market. Real cars take a long time to birth and that's for good reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts