Polestar Forum banner

[P2108.3] To Update or Not to Update

3K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  ChiMatt 
#1 ·
So I'm supposed to leave for a long trip (roughly 400km or 250miles) to the wilderness in the morning, the first with my Polestar 2, of course complying with local COVID rules etc. When I went to plug the car and set preheating schedule, I saw that the update P2108.3 was ready to install. It is exactly 14 days after I received the email that I'll have the update within 14 days! I am currently on the 1. November version; the same since I got the car.

The weather is supposed to be pretty bad during my drive, and charging is scarce in this part of the country with mostly 50kW chargers on the way. I kid you not... it's going to be below -4 degree Celcius (24 degree F) almost the whole way with snowfall and... wait for it... 125km/h (78mph) headwind gusts most of the way!

(screenshot from local weather app)

(update notification appeared when I was about to set the charge limit)

Here's my conundrum:
Pros of going ahead with the update now
  1. Even a bit more range, slightly better charging, and improvements to scheduled pre-heating would really make a big difference to my trip, given the horrid weather conditions and scarcity of chargers.
  2. The battery module bugfix is nice to have before going far away from home.
  3. If I can't postpone the update during my trip (not sure how many times I can hit "Later"), I would feel very worried of doing it in the middle of nowhere.
  4. A working offline manual in the car would be nice to have; I do not fully trust the connectivity where I'll go.
Cons of going ahead with the update now
  1. Brick rate and other non-temporary problems seem to be popping up all over this forum. I really don't want to be delayed for my trip tomorrow due to any bricking.
  2. I can't charge the car overnight since the update requires no charging during the update. I'll have to make time for it in the morning.
  3. The devil you know is better than the devil you don't. I know the quirks and behaviours of the "current car", but the update might change them more than what I'd be comfortable with for my long trip (e.g., OPD behaviour seems altered according to some members).
After weighing my pros and cons, I decided to take the plunge and hit the button to "Install Now". Wish me luck, boys and girls! This is an important one! 😅 I'll let you know if I'm going on my trip with my car or not.

See less See more
#4 ·
Good luck! I did OTA three days back. I got an install fail error, but after checking everything all was normal and the update has actually applied. Looks like a bug in the installation verification process. So firstly I hope you get a green tick, but if you do get a failure error stay calm! Check the settings screen for your system info. If it says Android 10 then you're good. Hit the road, turn up the music.

#12 ·
Went back after some hours to check the car. It unlocked fine, I sat down on the seat, and.... none of the screens turned on, and none of the interior lights turned on. I tried to put the car into D and it worked. The screens came on after 30 seconds, and I was greeted by this:

Not even 1% of the HV battery was used up during the update, and the projected range increased from 270km to 310km at 69% (which in real world is probably an increase of 30km for 100%, but we shall see)! The manual works, and phone sync is much better than before.

All in all, I'm happy with it.

#15 ·
The range increase is real according to Google maps as well. I had put my destination in it before the update to see my estimated battery levels upon arrival at the first pit-stop. After the update, with no significant difference in weather or traffic conditions, it reported higher battery percentage upon arrival at the same location; 8% now as opposed to 3% before, which makes a big difference for me. I would never risk going as low as 3% but I'll take my chances with 8%. I'm still not sure I trust these numbers but I have the option to top up for a few minutes on the way if charge levels start dropping below my anxiety trigger limit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.