Polestar Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
‘21 P2P LE Thunder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 21 P2P/LE /Thunder glass roof just shattered. I can not see any place where a stone hit it or any mark the could start a crack. I noticed it when I was driving off after car being parked a couple hours in the Florida sun. I got about 50 feet the roof just splintered. Well, now waiting four weeks for replacement glass to come part from corporate. I am wondering if someone has had to replace the panorama roof? What were your experiences? Did you use the dealership or specialty service shop? Any thoughts are appreciated.

thanks
BBE745

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
My 21 P2P/LE /Thunder glass roof just shattered. I can not see any place where a stone hit it or any mark the could start a crack. I noticed it when I was driving off after car being parked a couple hours in the Florida sun. I got about 50 feet the roof just splintered. Well, now waiting four weeks for replacement glass to come part from corporate. I am wondering if someone has had to replace the panorama roof? What were your experiences? Did you use the dealership or specialty service shop? Any thoughts are appreciated.

thanks
BBE745
I think someone on this forum had to have one replaced but I can’t remember the name or find the thread for it.

When you say shattered did the bits of glass come flying into the car? Hope no one was injured.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Found the thread. Unfortunately it’s a UK based owner rather than US based so experience will differ greatly.

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
Unfortunately it’s a UK based owner rather than US based so experience will differ greatly.
One difference will be the lead time on getting the part. Otherwise it should be covered by your comprehensive insurance. And a glass place is going to fix it whether you give it to PS first or not.

Do you have a picture of the aftermath?

·
Registered
5 Posts

thanks for any help with northern virginia roofing contractors
BBE745
So I have searched around the forum about the sunroof but I can't quite find the information I'm looking for. I've owned my '08 535xi for a few years and when I bought it the pano sunroof didn't work, and I never really cared I just never used it. Now, I'm getting the water egress issue into the trunk, it looks like maybe the rear drains are clogged. From what I can tell you can DIY a fix but it seems the roof must work so that you can move the shades and glass to access the drains and mine don't move back at all (I've tried all the easy fixes to get it to work, and its clear it is a mechanical issue at this point). So at this point I figure I might as well just get the whole thing replaced/repaired.

So for my question, I know these sunroofs are prone to failure and it seems there are different part numbers in realoem for revisions of the entire cassette itself. Is it easier to just buy the entire cassette, which I assume comes with most of the parts as a package, and drop it in, versus buying one of the repair kits I see online (pano repair kit, cable repair kit)? I have a feeling the repair kits would require a lot of work to install correctly and it would be simpler to just replace the whole thing as one unit while reusing the glass, shades, and other parts outside the cassette? Any guidance or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
So I have searched around the forum about the sunroof but I can't quite find the information I'm looking for. I've owned my '08 535xi for a few years and when I bought it the pano sunroof didn't work, and I never really cared I just never used it. Now, I'm getting the water egress issue into the trunk, it looks like maybe the rear drains are clogged. From what I can tell you can DIY a fix but it seems the roof must work so that you can move the shades and glass to access the drains and mine don't move back at all (I've tried all the easy fixes to get it to work, and its clear it is a mechanical issue at this point). So at this point I figure I might as well just get the whole thing replaced/repaired.

So for my question, I know these sunroofs are prone to failure and it seems there are different part numbers in realoem for revisions of the entire cassette itself. Is it easier to just buy the entire cassette, which I assume comes with most of the parts as a package, and drop it in, versus buying one of the repair kits I see online (pano repair kit, cable repair kit)? I have a feeling the repair kits would require a lot of work to install correctly and it would be simpler to just replace the whole thing as one unit while reusing the glass, shades, and other parts outside the cassette? Any guidance or information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I guess you are on the wrong forum ;) This is about polestar nor BMW. Our sun/moon roof is not in a cassette. But as it happens I've had a few BMWs, you can find all the individual parts, just take it out as a whole and fix it on the floor, then slot it back in. And don't forget to refresh the seals. But this is not a BMW forum ;)

·
Registered
9,289 Posts
I guess you are on the wrong forum ;) This is about polestar nor BMW. Our sun/moon roof is not in a cassette. But as it happens I've had a few BMWs, you can find all the individual parts, just take it out as a whole and fix it on the floor, then slot it back in. And don't forget to refresh the seals. But this is not a BMW forum ;)
There's not a BMW Polestar edition? 🤣

·
Registered
‘21 P2P LE Thunder
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I was told by the Polestar USA people after a corporate rep.viewed my car that my roof was most certainly caused by a foreign object in rock golf ball etc. Repairs cost US$2200.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts