Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Our Polestar 2 DM Pilot+ (OS 2.2) is in the shop for some rock repair on the hood, but the PS2 DM (OS1.7) loaner they gave us is noticeably faster off the line.

Was there a performance downgrade with OS updates over time that you all noticed?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
PS2 Snow, Pilot
318 Posts
Interesting. They did adjust the accelerator pedal mapping couple of times since then so maybe that is it. Ooorr, maybe the range improvements come with the sour side.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
They tweaked the pedal mapping ages ago (shortly after I took delivery). Looks like that loan car has never had an update!

The car was no slower - it just affected the first inch or so of travel on the pedal.

To be honest, I thought this was after you got your car!

·
Registered
Polestar 2 Launch Edition (Thunder/Slate)
1,884 Posts
They tweaked the pedal mapping ages ago (shortly after I took delivery). Looks like that loan car has never had an update!

The car was no slower - it just affected the first inch or so of travel on the pedal.

To be honest, I thought this was after you got your car!
It was, mine was delivered before any of the software updates mentioned in the website: Pure progressive performance | Polestar

Long enough to remember updating to what is now called P1.0 fixing my rear window seal :)

@davenport implied that v2.3 changed it again, and frankly if that's the case, I've had enough updates, a year left in the lease i'll just not bother and ask them not to upgrade it if possible at the service next month.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
549 Posts
Hello

Our Polestar 2 DM Pilot+ (OS 2.2) is in the shop for some rock repair on the hood, but the PS2 DM (OS1.7) loaner they gave us is noticeably faster off the line.

Was there a performance downgrade with OS updates over time that you all noticed?

Thanks in advance.
Like, pedal down to the floor or just normal driving?

·
Registered
83 Posts
One thing I noticed on test drives was that nothing much happens for the first inch or two of gas pedal travel - completely different to every other car I’ve driven, but someone suggested to me it’s a “performance car thing”.

·
Registered
Volt, Polestar 2, R1T, Livewire One
549 Posts
One thing I noticed on test drives was that nothing much happens for the first inch or two of gas pedal travel - completely different to every other car I’ve driven, but someone suggested to me it’s a “performance car thing”.
It makes the Polestar much nicer to drive in parking lots than a normal high performance car, IMO.

·
Super Moderator
2,449 Posts
Yes, it's brilliant. The amount of control you have over that first inch of pedal travel is astonishing. You can move the car so slowly that you can't actually tell it's moving unless you use a reference point out of the window.

When I get in any other car now, it's as if I can't drive any more - lurching all over the place like a learner driver!

It makes things like the Tesla 'feel' a lot faster, but actually it's just much less refined. Tesla is like a dodgem car by comparison.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
You get used to this quickly and I prefer it this way, the extra "dead travel" is what lets you control breaking, and is great around town.

It's incredibly easy to manoeuvre at ridiculously low speeds with this car which is handy in tight car parks etc, it actually is easier than the Fiat 500e with about a third of the HP and much less weight.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Lol a performance car thing? The person who told you that is a goof. There's nothing performance about the first inch of travel having no effect on the cars motion 🙂

Really they dumbed down the accelerator travel to make the car less scary for people used to low power cars. If you want the polestar to scoot you really have to put your foot in it.

It sure makes for an interesting time when you go from the polestar back to a regular car!!

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Lol a performance car thing? The person who told you that is a goof. There's nothing performance about the first inch of travel having no effect on the cars motion 🙂

Really they dumbed down the accelerator travel to make the car less scary for people used to low power cars. If you want the polestar to scoot you really have to put your foot in it.

It sure makes for an interesting time when you go from the polestar back to a regular car!!
I drive like an idiot when I borrow my wife's (much slower!) car as I'm used to the fine control the Polestar allows at all speeds and wether accelerating or decelerating.

Trying to hide the fact that a car is underpowered by having the accelerator pedal work like an on off switch might fool some into thinking it's faster than it is, but it's a horrible experience.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Trying to hide the fact that a car is underpowered by having the accelerator pedal work like an on off switch might fool some into thinking it's faster than it is, but it's a horrible experience.
We must have a similar situation, my wife's Subaru has an extremely touchy throttle. If you look at the pedal funny it gives you half throttle and if you touch it it gives 75 percent. It's certainly not a good experience

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hello

Thanks in advance.
Interesting. Do you think that PS will try the Apple trick of downgrading their software for older models to encourage buying a newer model. And then how could you check and prove?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts