Polestar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5K seems a whole heap of cash for bigger wheels, breaks and adjustable dampers. Most cars (all my audis and mercs have had them on as standard) these days seem to have adjustable dampers. I like the idea but does it really bring any benefit. The 20s are a £900 upgrade so 4k for brakes and dampers. I did wonder if there would be a software upgrade to increase the power on the Performance Pack later on like Tesla.
This is the good thing about it taking bloomin ages for my company car people taking an age to allow me to order. It gives me time to spec properly

·
Registered
135 Posts
5K seems a whole heap of cash for bigger wheels, breaks and adjustable dampers. Most cars (all my audis and mercs have had them on as standard) these days seem to have adjustable dampers. I like the idea but does it really bring any benefit. The 20s are a £900 upgrade so 4k for brakes and dampers. I did wonder if there would be a software upgrade to increase the power on the Performance Pack later on like Tesla.
This is the good thing about it taking bloomin ages for my company car people taking an age to allow me to order. It gives me time to spec properly
One of the reasons I decided against the performance pack was the 20-inch wheels. I like more rubber between my rims and the potholes of Bucks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
It makes no rational sense....but it's objectively better looking. The 20" wheels at £900 go a long way at evening up the looks as seatbelts and valve stem covers don't really excite me. The only thing then is whether you see the default ride as being too firm. With the adjustable dampers you have more flexibility to soften up the ride (or firm up if you really are going to have track days) which you don't have in the non-PP version.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Ok the long version ... sorry was busy earlier.

1. Yellow Dust Caps - Black ones do the same job.
2. Yellow Seat Belts - Black ones do the same job.
3. Damper Upgrades - Great if you are a car enthusiast and love getting under your car and adjusting little nuts to make micro adjustments to your dampers.
4. Better Breaks - day to day driving you want to use the regen as much as possible - however these will help stop the car faster in an accident so defiantly a small safety feature upgrade. Main use is on a track where you will be breaking hard a lot on/off.
5. 20" Wheels / Tyres ... again good for the track ... not much else. Also it seems the PP give a slightly worse efficiency overall.

So again ... if you are a track day man then yes pay £5k for it. Otherwise save your cash.

As for the other options you can pick.

£4k - Black/Slate Seats vs Leather : Leather seats come with ventilation as well as heating. Some people find the vegan-friendly seats a little hot ... others don't. Therefore it's important you get a test drive and see for yourself.

£1k - Tow Bar - A good tow bar if you need it - apparently can be fitted at a later date however I've not seen this confirmed anywhere by Polestar.

£900 - Paint - Get Black and pay £3-5k for a wrap and get any colour you want. Or pay £900 for a colour of your choice.

Enjoy ;-)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure if it is only available on the PP but the design of the 20' wheels is much better than of the 19'...personal taste and totally subjective I agree :) On top, 5k to get nicer wheel is quite a lot then.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
The PP wheels are touted as forged alloy. I don't know if the $1000 20" wheels are. Forged alloy wheels are supposed to be lighter and stronger. I do know that they are typically very expensive. If the 20" upgrades are not forged alloy, that would explain some of the PP price.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Also the big brakes of the PP are only just cleared by the PP wheels. If, like me, you plan on a winter wheel set, those big brakes are likely to make it hard to fit 3rd party wheels.

(I'm still going for the PP, though. I enjoy fiddling with cars, like the dampers and like the looks.)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also the big brakes of the PP are only just cleared by the PP wheels. If, like me, you plan on a winter wheel set, those big brakes are likely to make it hard to fit 3rd party wheels.

(I'm still going for the PP, though. I enjoy fiddling with cars, like the dampers and like the looks.)
What is your plan for winter tires?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have Ohlins dampers on my mx5 and love them. Worth £5k - not a chance.

No intention of going near a track and don't intend to use the brakes much... I did think the yellow seat belts lift an otherwise dark interior. My original choice was a dark paint colour and pale leather but SWMBO wasn't keen.

Not a very rational choice, just liked the looks a little better.

Towing equipment is very good. Apparently fitted pre-delivery so expect you could get it later if you needed.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
What is your plan for winter tires?
Eventually, I'll get a winter wheel set and swap out the wheels myself. I've been doing that for years on my other cars. This winter, though, is uncertain. I may just have to have the rubber swapped on the wheels I get. Eventually, I'll need another set of rims. I'm afraid to touch my order as it stands now for fear it will kick me out of the cue, but I'll be asking about another set of Polestar wheels. 'Might end up going 3rd party for the rims, but Tire Rack doesn't have the wheel specs yet.

·
Registered
74 Posts
You’ll lose a little bit of range (I think the estimate was 7 miles or so) riding on 20” wheels and gain a bit of a stiffer ride with less roll in the corners based on what I’ve seen in reviews. The Brembos for me are a wash; while nice to have, I don’t expect to be using the hydraulic brakes very much with one-pedal driving. I’ve read reports that the 20-inch wheels also introduce some additional road noise, though on my test drive I thought it was fine. Personally I didn’t order the PP as I couldn’t find $5K (USD) of value in it and want to optimize for maximum range.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Amusingly, when Tesla Bjorn tested them, he found that the Performance Park 20" wheels make the car slightly slower than the standard car!! So it's sort of an "unperformance" pack.

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Registered
47 Posts
Adjusted my dampers today to comfort (18 clicks front, 20 rear). What a faff the rears are! Easy when you've done it once but having to remove wheel arch liner partially is daft. Why not have a remote adjuster for rears in the boot?

I like the ride better in comfort. It is perhaps slightly underdamped now but crashes less and feels less noisy. Can't think i'll be messing with them again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts