Polestar Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the Performance Pack, the rims are 9" in the rear and 8" rims in the front. Swapping front and rears to rotate tires, which one would do on an ICE car, is out of the question. Actually this would be typical of performance sedans like the BMW M3 and Audi RS4.

Stay safe everybody.
Tony

·
Registered
38 Posts
From Polestar information document regarding Performance Pack: To match the improved performance of the wheels, the alloys are wrapped in performance-focused Continental SportContact 245/40R20 tyres front and rear that are unique for Polestar 2.
I'm not the most informed about this, but these tires will fit rims from 8.0 to 9.5" in width. Is there a reason they can't be rotated front to back?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The tires are not staggered like those performance cars, only the wheels have different widths (not the tires).

So you can still rotate, but doing so would require dismounting the tires from the rims - which is extra labor compared to just moving the whole wheel/tire combo.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The tires are not staggered like those performance cars, only the wheels have different widths (not the tires).

So you can still rotate, but doing so would require dismounting the tires from the rims - which is extra labor compared to just moving the whole wheel/tire combo.
Got it. Thanks.
I've ordered the 20 inch rims, non-PP, but I haven't found any information on wheel size yet. I'm just assuming all four wheel will be the same size, but this Polestar experience is full of surprises.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
I don't want to go on about this and irritate people, but from an engineering and physics viewpoint, I see no benefit to rotating your tires. In fact, I see detriment. Let me know if you want an explanation.

·
Registered
641 Posts
What’s the implication of different size front/rear wheels?
Does it make for a bigger tire patch on one end, making for more traction/grip on that end?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Tyre rotation was, i believe, introduced to even out tyre wear, which could be heavy on a front wheel drive only car, but not sure how tyre wear will be a 4WD heavy car. The fronts are subject to steering wheel turn, whereas the rears can be 'dragged' during a turn. time will tell i guess.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
That's my point. Tires wear themselves or adapt to their position. Then the wear rate diminishes. Rotate them and you increase wear rate again for a while. Tires won't last as long and they'll not handle as well after the rotation.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
What’s the implication of different size front/rear wheels?
Does it make for a bigger tire patch on one end, making for more traction/grip on that end?
It makes a differently shaped tire patch and the sidewalls react a bit differently. Narrower rim equals more curvature in the sidewall.

How all this affects performance, I really don't know. But I have faith that some Polestar engineering team does. I bet the performance differences are pretty subtle.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
50 Posts
It makes a differently shaped tire patch and the sidewalls react a bit differently. Narrower rim equals more curvature in the sidewall.

How all this affects performance, I really don't know. But I have faith that some Polestar engineering team does. I bet the performance differences are pretty subtle.
It compensates for inadequate camber/wheel calibration and balancing.... Thats why Tesla is charging people in Norway over 300 USD to ''rotate'' the wheels.... so they dont have to get blamed for tyres running bald after a year and a half... Welcome to the age where cars are not supposed to last longer than your phone but marketing convinced everyone that EVs have 0 cost for a trillion miles :) 🤣

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It will be interesting to see how the tires wear with an even weight distribution. The wider rims on the rear may help compensate for understeer. I know Audi make the rear track narrower than the front to help compensate for this.
It will also be interesting to see how the even weight distribution and the lower centre of gravity effects wear on the front control arms and tie rods. This may be parts that benefit but time will tell.

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
Volvo does not recommend rotating tires on our XC90 T8.
Buried in the manual for my BMW E92 (328i coupe) I found the same thing... that tire rotation was not recommended. However, when I went to the dealer, they strongly recommended tire rotation and seemed surprised that the manufacturer didn't. Long discussions followed. I'm a convert. Keep the tires where you find them. When one wears out, replace both tires on that axle. No need to replace all four at the same time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts