Polestar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22’ Moon Pilot,Performance slick roof. ETA 12/21
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have my 2 on order with the PP. I’ve normally had a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires for the unpredictable Oregon winters. I’m curious what other owners are doing in climates that may be susceptible to possible snow and or near freezing temps? I don’t want to switch out the performance summer tires for all seasons right away, but this may be the best compromise.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm in northern Sweden (real winters) and I have a second set of PP wheels with winter tires.

I wouldn't go for anything else then Conti SC6 (or similar) in summer. It's a huge(!) difference compared to the Hakkapeliitta R3 (nordic stud free tires) I have om my winter wheels.

·
Registered
Ordered MY 2022 on Friday 13th of August! Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
197 Posts
Pretty much all of us here in Scandinavia have two sets of wheels. The differences between winter and summer driving are so great that nothing other than real winter tyres/tires will really cut it in real winter conditions, and the performance handling of the car would be wasted on anything other than real summer tires/tyres.

I appreciate that OEM winter wheels are an extra expense, but check out Rims for Polestar 2 Performance :: 20-UP | Megahjul
for light weight Non-OEM rims.

megahjul claim that some 19" rims will fit the PP. For the winter set, you don't need to bother with the wider rims at the back.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Southwestern Ontario (towards Detroit) second set of tires and rims, they look just like the summer sport tires and in Feb last year were awrsome in the heavy wet snow we get here

·
Registered
22’ Moon Pilot,Performance slick roof. ETA 12/21
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Southwestern Ontario (towards Detroit) second set of tires and rims, they look just like the summer sport tires and in Feb last year were awrsome in the heavy wet snow we get here
Did you stick with oem size 20”? It sounds like with the brakes a 19” won’t work.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have the PP and put all-season tires on it last winter when the factory summer tires got a little skiddy on cold pavement. They worked very nicely, and I swapped the summer ones back on this spring.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Probably an unpopular opinion, but unless you live somewhere where literally everyday is cold and/or snowy, winter tires aren't that great. Running winter tires when it's warm out is just as bad as running summer tires when it's cold out. Personally, living in Colorado, I run Michelin CrossClimate 2s on my Volvo, and am waiting for them to become available at Costco for the Polestar. They are awesome in the winter, much better than standard all-seasons, and have better performance for majority of winter days that are warm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
For those of us in Colorado, I called our Volvo Polestar parts department to see if they had any snow tire packages, and they said they are working on getting one together...so there may be hope for those who don't want to source your own wheels/tires.

I tried contacting Megahjul to see if they had any US distributors, but I haven't hear back yet, unfortunately,

·
Registered
267 Posts
For those of us in Colorado, I called our Volvo Polestar parts department to see if they had any snow tire packages, and they said they are working on getting one together...so there may be hope for those who don't want to source your own wheels/tires.

I tried contacting Megahjul to see if they had any US distributors, but I haven't hear back yet, unfortunately,
Ours said the same. Something about that Polestar 'might' announce something closer to the October timeframe, around the same time that they start seeing MY22 deliveries.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'm happy with the summer Conti's that come with the PP - here we rarely get "winter" conditions. Winter is usually rainy and in the 40's (F) and we'll get a cold snap or two where it gets below freezing, however this past winter was an anomalous one: we had over a whole week with snow on the ground and temps well below freezing: two storms with a total of 10" of snow with some drifting. I thought I was back in Wyoming! But I did get the car out a couple of times just to see how it would do and the smooth electric torque and fine power control plus the AWD actually made the unplowed roads (no snowplows here!) quite manageable even on those summer tires. I can just imagine what it would drive like with the right winter setup. Note that I am atypical for my area - I learned how to drive on very bad roads with long, hard winters so it's somewhat 2nd nature to me.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 - Midnight, Leather, Launch ed. Tow-bar, 19”
58 Posts
I guess there may be different tires in different markets but in Norway there is no tires that are good for both summer and winter driving.
There exist so-called all-season tires, but these is a huge compromise on safety (and performance). Summer tires and winter tires have a very different rubber compound and pattern - for obvious reasons. With all-season tires, the ability to cope with the challenges of the seasons is dramatically reduced compared to winter/summer tires. All-season tires are therefore rated (again in Norway) as a safety wise, second-class product, which experts strongly advise against. The rule of thumb is that when the temperature goes ( and stays) below 7˚C ( 44˚F) you should change to winter tires as the summer tires then will have worse performance.

·
Registered
2021 Swedish Blue/Leather/Tow/19"
93 Posts
Probably an unpopular opinion, but unless you live somewhere where literally everyday is cold and/or snowy, winter tires aren't that great. Running winter tires when it's warm out is just as bad as running summer tires when it's cold out. Personally, living in Colorado, I run Michelin CrossClimate 2s on my Volvo, and am waiting for them to become available at Costco for the Polestar. They are awesome in the winter, much better than standard all-seasons, and have better performance for majority of winter days that are warm.
Thanks for posting this, I have been looking for a good A/S to switch to from my 19" summers here in Denver.
Which Color combo is your P2?

·
Registered
2021 Swedish Blue/Leather/Tow/19"
93 Posts
Wait do we have half the CO owners on this thread? :LOL:
I am going to call Costco to see when the crossclimate 2's are coming in or if we can order them already.

@Belac @freeskier93
When do you swap out the summers in CO?
This is will be our 4th winter in CO and first time with summer tires.

Thanks

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wait do we have half the CO owners on this thread? :LOL:
I am going to call Costco to see when the crossclimate 2's are coming in or if we can order them already.

@Belac @freeskier93
When do you swap out the summers in CO?
This is will be our 4th winter and first time with summer tires.

Thanks
I run the CrossClimate 2s year round, hoping I can get them within the next couple months since first snow is usually in October. I've been checking online everyday the last couple months with no luck, been meaning to just go in and ask. They are available on Tire Rack, so not sure why Costco is having issues stocking them.

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
Thanks for posting this, I have been looking for a good A/S to switch to from my 19" summers here in Denver.
Which Color combo is your P2?
FWIW I'm pretty happy with these on my 19" rims, in the SF Bay Area:

Noticeably nicer ride and quieter than the Primacy4s

Interestingly, these used to list a "Polestar" OEM stamp on tirerack's site but no longer.... not sure how much to read into that

Reactions: samang

·
Registered
267 Posts
Interestingly, these used to list a "Polestar" OEM stamp on tirerack's site but no longer.... not sure how much to read into that
Probably just means they carried a version that had noise cancellation foam in it.

As long as the tires are correctly sized and have the correct speed and load ratings you can get whatever you want.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts