Polestar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
@samang
To be honest this would be my first vehicle with winter tires/tyres. I'm a Colorado native (Denver area) and have always just had all seasons on all my vehicles. Since the city is always plowed and we didn't really need the extra traction.

Since the Polestar came with summers, I didn't see a reason to toss them for all seasons, so I figured I'd just look for a winter set and swap the temp drops.

Edit: spelling

·
Registered
2021 Swedish Blue/Leather/Tow/19"
93 Posts
I run the CrossClimate 2s year round, hoping I can get them within the next couple months since first snow is usually in October. I've been checking online everyday the last couple months with no luck, been meaning to just go in and ask. They are available on Tire Rack, so not sure why Costco is having issues stocking them.
I was looking at the Pilot Sport A/S, but not 100% on the winter performance.
Upon researching the CrossClimate 2, I like them better. I have only used regular A/S the 3 yrs we have been here, so I expect the 3PMSF rating will drive even better in the mountains, and the 60k mi thread life is a big plus.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Plan is to run them all year, but will use up the oem summers next summer as I only have 1200miles on them.

I called Costco this afternoon. They can order CrossClmate 2 and have it at store of your choice in a few days, but, we have to go in and pay first for special orders.
245/45R19XL
($254.99 + $19.99 install + $1.25 CO fee)/each
- $150 ongoing Mich discount til Sept 26 when you buy set of 4.

Oh, and $50 to swap in and out of them every Spring/Fall provided a set is bought at Costco.

Sam

·
Registered
93 Posts
@samang
To be honest this would be my first vehicle with winter tires/tyres. I'm a Colorado native (Denver area) and have always just had all seasons on all my vehicles. Since the city is always plowed and we didn't really need the extra traction.

Since the Polestar came with summers, I didn't see a reason to toss them for all seasons, so I figured I'd just look for a winter set and swap the temp drops.

Edit: spelling
That's the impression i get from almost all Denver locals. Just get good A/S tires.
The folks in summit county swear by winter tires. I am just going to swap the summers out for another season (or 2) just to use them up. Then run A/S year round.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Have my 2 on order with the PP. I’ve normally had a dedicated set of winter wheels/tires for the unpredictable Oregon winters. I’m curious what other owners are doing in climates that may be susceptible to possible snow and or near freezing temps? I don’t want to switch out the performance summer tires for all seasons right away, but this may be the best compromise.
Great question which I’ve also asked based here in Minneapolis. We have a performance PS2 and have decided on seasonally swapping tires only (nokian hakkapalita ) since this is a lease vehicle .

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great question which I’ve also asked based here in Minneapolis. We have a performance PS2 and have decided on seasonally swapping tires only (nokian hakkapalita ) since this is a lease vehicle .
That's what we plan to do if nothing materializes from Polestar.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I had Pilot Sport A/S on my old Mitsubishi 3000GT, and had no complaints about their winter performance. It's a good tire. But the CrossClimate 2 also looks nice.

I picked Conti ExtremeContact DWS06 for my P2, and they were good last winter, though I never got out of the DC area. This winter I'll get some data about how well they like the Great Lakes snow belt :).

Reactions: samang and Icegrill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Initially I thought I will swap winter tires, but I will just park the car in garage throughout the winter and take for a spin on dry days. I will just use my FPace it handles the best in snow in Colorado for me

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2 | Midnight | Charcoal | Plus, Pilot | Tow | 19"
5 Posts
Upon researching the CrossClimate 2, I like them better. I have only used regular A/S the 3 yrs we have been here, so I expect the 3PMSF rating will drive even better in the mountains, and the 60k mi thread life is a big plus.
Thanks for the recommendation!

Plan is to run them all year, but will use up the oem summers next summer as I only have 1200miles on them.

I called Costco this afternoon. They can order CrossClmate 2 and have it at store of your choice in a few days, but, we have to go in and pay first for special orders.
245/45R19XL
($254.99 + $19.99 install + $1.25 CO fee)/each
- $150 ongoing Mich discount til Sept 26 when you buy set of 4.

Oh, and $50 to swap in and out of them every Spring/Fall provided a set is bought at Costco.

Sam
Interesting, I was able to just order them online and pay there (including the discount). Ordered last Monday and they just got to the store today. Getting them installed this weekend.

I just got the car last week, so it's very unfortunate for the summer tires. But I'll probably give selling them a shot.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Interesting, I was able to just order them online and pay there (including the discount). Ordered last Monday and they just got to the store today. Getting them installed this weekend.

I just got the car last week, so it's very unfortunate for the summer tires. But I'll probably give selling them a shot.
It's weird because they've been showing out of stock online for months (at least at the two ones near me I checked), but I went in end of last week and ordered them no problem. They are already here and will be installed end of this week.

I'm going to try selling the summer tires too, but I doubt I'll be able to do so going into winter. Will probably end up with them sitting in the basement all winter and try selling them again next spring.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Did you prder from the costco by ikea centennial? I went on Sunday to order and the guy said since i inquired last week someone else ordered a set for a polestar. Maybe you? Mine just arrived yesterday. I am waiting to schedule instal pending my rear end repair estimate/situation. And to squeeze in a few more miles into the summers.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you prder from the costco by ikea centennial? I went on Sunday to order and the guy said since i inquired last week someone else ordered a set for a polestar. Maybe you? Mine just arrived yesterday. I am waiting to schedule instal pending my rear end repair estimate/situation. And to squeeze in a few more miles into the summers.
Haha, yeah, I ordered from that one so it was probably me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ordered mine to be delivered to the same Costco so it looks like they'll be installing the same tires on at least two Polestars this weekend.

·
Registered
93 Posts
@Bgrad @freeskier93
Gents. I just got my CC2 tires from same Costco. I told them to keep an eye not to swap rim positions. We spoke about mine being the 3rd PS2 in a little over a week.
When i was checked out, the guy told me thanks for telling them about the rims. It is 9” wide in the back and 8” in the front. They had no idea. Now made a note.

He asked if i knew you guys, they will be calling but asked me to reach out to you too. You might want to stop in to make sure they didnt put the rims in the wrong spot.

I am surprised that they are 1” difference yet same tire size.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oh first impression on the Mich Cross Climate 2.
22 mile ride home i feel it is same if not quieter than the oem 19” tires.
I want to say rides better too.
Will report back after a few days. Especially on avg kwh/100mi

·
Registered
22’ Moon Pilot,Performance slick roof. ETA 12/21
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Oh first impression on the Mich Cross Climate 2.
22 mile ride home i feel it is same if not quieter than the oem 19” tires.
I want to say rides better too.
Will report back after a few days. Especially on avg kwh/100mi
Post some pics when you get a chance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
@Bgrad @freeskier93
Gents. I just got my CC2 tires from same Costco. I told them to keep an eye not to swap rim positions. We spoke about mine being the 3rd PS2 in a little over a week.
When i was checked out, the guy told me thanks for telling them about the rims. It is 9” wide in the back and 8” in the front. They had no idea. Now made a note.

He asked if i knew you guys, they will be calling but asked me to reach out to you too. You might want to stop in to make sure they didnt put the rims in the wrong spot.

Thanks for the heads up! The manual says the original tires could not be rotated front to back but I guess they meant the rims. I'll go back this weekend. Haven't noticed anything weird driving but better be safe. And I agree, they definitely seem smoother.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@Bgrad @freeskier93

Totally forgot about that. Thanks for the heads up, will stop back by if I don't get a call first.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
A few points... I don't think there's a problem with control running winter tires in warm weather, but they'll wear down quickly.

I know I'm bucking conventional wisdom, but there's no reason to rotate tires... On any vehicle. Just replace both front tires when you need to and both back tires when you need to.

Check to see if your mechanic put any tire on with the correct direction of rotation. Not all tires have a preferred direction of rotation, but when they do, mechanics sometimes make mistakes.

At least every other year, have your tires balanced and your wheels aligned. Tire wear can throw off wheel balance and bad alignment wears down your tires and is dangerous.

Finally, break out a label maker and label each rim with front or back and left or right. (Or use a good Sharpie for silver or Grey rims.). That will help you and your mechanic. Under the bolt caps for the forged wheels and inside the barrel for the others. Keep the rims in their position to avoid getting the rotation wrong in the future and to keep the front fronts and the rears rear.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with the Prof on rotation. Most sporty cars have staggered rims and tires anyway.
Costco tech mentioned the 60k mi warranty maybe affected since we cannot rotate the tires.
I really wonder why P* didnt stagger the tire size...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! The manual says the original tires could not be rotated front to back but I guess they meant the rims. I'll go back this weekend. Haven't noticed anything weird driving but better be safe. And I agree, they definitely seem smoother.
The only way to rotate is to dismount the tires from the rim since the CC2 are directional.
He said for me to do that in the spring when we put the summer's back on.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts