Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Midnight Charcoal non-PP Towbar
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my car had the November update last week.. Was absolutely fine on Friday, plugged it into my Zappi to charge back up to 90%, no issues! Hasn't moved all weekend, still plugged into the charger, in the early hours of this morning it has started drawing power from the charger every couple of hours or so.. It's upto 0.9kWh for the day so far.. Have emailed CS but wondering if anyone else has experienced this one as yet?

·
Registered
Non PP, Midnight, Load Bars
85 Posts
I had not seen this until the other day. Parked the car with 42% charge, then got in the next morning and it was down to 24%. It was cold (-1) but i have never seen this type of drop before or since. Polestar were not helpful.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had not seen this until the other day. Parked the car with 42% charge, then got in the next morning and it was down to 24%. It was cold (-1) but i have never seen this type of drop before or since. Polestar were not helpful.
That's a bit more than 1kWh... And quite a drop!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saw something about this on one of the facebook groups and they said it came back next time they drove it

·
Registered
2021 2
1,375 Posts
do you all also have the 4G or WiFi issue? That seems like quite a bit of drop to just be the 4G/wireless radio constantly being on, but wonder if it's related given the Nov update also messed with that.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
There are two different scenarios here.

1. The 0.9kWh is probably just a minor top up or you lost 0.1%. That or the car maybe decided to wanted to charge the 12V, heat the batteries, or replace the phantom drain do to the cold. I wouldn't worry.

2. The person that lost 20% over one stop ... this is a software bug when calculating battery %. Normally this comes back once you start driving. However I'd recommend a drive down 10% then a charge back up to 90% overnight so the battery and software can recalibrate itself.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
do you all also have the 4G or WiFi issue? That seems like quite a bit of drop to just be the 4G/wireless radio constantly being on, but wonder if it's related given the Nov update also messed with that.
WiFi has never worked but that's turned off.. When I went out to the car 4g seemed to be working although it does have the intermittent connection issue.. Just bizarre that it waited until today to start doing it though..

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
That's all powered of the 12V, so it's possible the main battery at some point was used to charge the 12V but I think the whole system shuts down completely after 72 hours.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There was nothing set, it hadn’t drawn anything over the weekend, just decided to start drawing small amounts every couple of hours throughout today. CS have sugested charging to 100% and monitoring it over 8hrs.. they can then determine if it needs further investigation.. will keep you posted..

·
Registered
96 Posts
There was nothing set, it hadn’t drawn anything over the weekend, just decided to start drawing small amounts every couple of hours throughout today. CS have sugested charging to 100% and monitoring it over 8hrs.. they can then determine if it needs further investigation.. will keep you posted..
A YouTuber named Battery Life had a similar problem in his ID.3 that was fixed by a software update.

Look at his 12V battery graph:

I wonder if your car’s BMS is doing something similar (i.e. the 12V drops, the big battery tops it up, and draws some from the charger to refill itself.)

You can watch the video here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mine dropped from 61% to 41% last night. Nothing scheduled or anything. At work at the moment, hoping the drain hasn't continued whilst parked up.

Luckily there are 4 InstaVault chargers about 300m from where I'm parked - assuming I can actually get to them later!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Mine dropped from 61% to 41% last night. Nothing scheduled or anything. At work at the moment, hoping the drain hasn't continued whilst parked up.

Luckily there are 4 InstaVault chargers about 300m from where I'm parked - assuming I can actually get to them later!
You should find the 20% comes back at some point.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Seems more likely to be a software bug than actual drain. If you try charging it, it might actually get back to showing some number in 40s.
I thought it was a bug so drove for 15 miles. Sadly it had lost the charge. Got the low battery warning. plugged it in at home and monitored during the day. I charged to 90% and stopped. Somehow it did lose all of the charge while standing still.:confused:

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
1,554 Posts
Hmm... what version software are you running (apologies if this has already been asked)? Also, is a key fob somewhere within about a 5m radius (even through walls) as if so, the car will never quite go to sleep. Try moving all fobs to the other end of the house and putting them in a biscuit tin or something else metal (or the microwave is good, but don't forget to take them out again!).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hmm... what version software are you running (apologies if this has already been asked)? Also, is a key fob somewhere within about a 5m radius (even through walls) as if so, the car will never quite go to sleep. Try moving all fobs to the other end of the house and putting them in a biscuit tin or something else metal (or the microwave is good, but don't forget to take them out again!).
You make a good point. I have an RFID box for car keys etc. I do remember not putting the keys away. They would have been easily within 5m of the car. I might experiment a little and let you know.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I thought it was a bug so drove for 15 miles. Sadly it had lost the charge. Got the low battery warning. plugged it in at home and monitored during the day. I charged to 90% and stopped. Somehow it did lose all of the charge while standing still.:confused:
It can't lose 20% charge in a few hours without something getting -very- hot indeed.

Do you know how much energy you actually put into the car when you recharged it?

There are still some scenarios that could apply...

a) you might have had less than you thought to start with (ie., you began the day with an over-indication)

b) the issue might have resolved during charging. (ie., it looked like you went from 50-90% but really you were going from 70-90%)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts