Polestar Forum banner

Phone as Key…

• I use it exclusively - no key fob will weigh me down!

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I use it sometimes…prefer to play it safe.

Votes: 16 19.3%
  • Tried it once…something bad happened so I gave up.

Votes: 15 18.1%
  • Never. Little to no trust in its reliability.

Votes: 41 49.4%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else leaving their key fob at home, using PAK exclusively? When it first launched I tried it, got stranded in a park, and damned the app ever since. Two weeks ago I decided to try again (I’ve been on P2134 for quite awhile, updating to P1.7 as I type this) and it’s worked flawlessly. Haven’t had my key on me at all! There can sometimes be a half-second delay to unlock when I touch the handle / trunk latch, but that’s the only difference I’ve encountered. I’m finally comfortable traveling around LA (~20 mile radius) without the fob.

I do wish the app had 1. the long press option to open/close the windows 2. a button to remotely open/close the trunk…yes I can still swipe my foot under the bumper, but sometimes my phone is in my hand already and it would save a few seconds of waiting 😬

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I do wish the app had 1. the long press option to open/close the windows 2. a button to remotely open/close the trunk…yes I can still swipe my foot under the bumper, but sometimes my phone is in my hand already and it would save a few seconds of waiting
Haven’t got the car (1 week to go) but don’t trust any data gathering software. I will use the PAK but on a spare phone that is used exclusively for things like this. Whilst Polestar are striving to fix all bugs and issues I don’t want to wake up to an app update that bricked the phone on same day they did OTA update to the car that bricked the car lol.

Its an app….it would be better if it had a slider to open and close the windows, so you can choose exactly how open you had them, with the option to select all, front, rear.

Since the boot is powered it also should have a slider to open and close plus a memory button for preferred settings.

From what I understand you can’t set the navigation from the app, so would also like to set navigation from the app e.g. program the navigation with a destination and departure time and it does all the pre heating etc. Shouldn’t have to do one thing in the app then go to Google maps to do the other.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is anyone else leaving their key fob at home, using PAK exclusively? When it first launched I tried it, got stranded in a park, and damned the app ever since. Two weeks ago I decided to try again (I’ve been on P2134 for quite awhile, updating to P1.7 as I type this) and it’s worked flawlessly. Haven’t had my key on me at all! There can sometimes be a half-second delay to unlock when I touch the handle / trunk latch, but that’s the only difference I’ve encountered. I’m finally comfortable traveling around LA (~20 mile radius) without the fob.

I do wish the app had 1. the long press option to open/close the windows 2. a button to remotely open/close the trunk…yes I can still swipe my foot under the bumper, but sometimes my phone is in my hand already and it would save a few seconds of waiting 😬
Same experience as you, using it more and more now. Have even ventured out without the key.

·
Registered
MY 2022, Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
500 Posts
Just a quick aside here, as I don't have the car yet, but BLE on my android phone is inherently unreliable. I use it to sync. to my watch and more than once have had to reboot the phone, delete bluetooth settings and try again (and again) before it suddenly decides to start working again. As this is similar to some people's experience with the PAK, I'm thinking that there are often two sides to a problem and that the phone is one of them.

·
Registered
Polestar 2
348 Posts
It's worked seamlessly for me so far although I'm still wary too based on every horror story on here - but tbh the activity key works fine and is nice and small, so use that most of the time.

·
Registered
133 Posts
For someone who has a MY22 model which only comes with one main key I have been using PAK to see if I can live with it. I’m afraid it’s not a positive experience.
1 It’s slow to be recognised by the car, not nice when it’s poring rain and you want to get in the car quickly.
2 it’s finicky around the tailgate.
3 Due to it being slow it has registered the wrong profile when more than one phone is nearby.
4 I’m now nervous of updating my phone, phone has logged out a few times and it’s embarrassing to stand by my car fiddling with my phone to log back in (colleagues have commented they have old fashioned metal keys that are quicker). Polestars pathetic excuse for only supplying one main key is PAK but you can buy one for £300+. As others have said, where is the open close windows, remote panic alarm, remote flash indicators that the main key has.
So I fit into a Uses PAK but will never trust it. And I carry the main key in a faraday pouch.
Also consider that the main key has the emergency metal key inside. You won’t get into you car at all if the battery goes flat without this.
Sorry for the rant but this stupidity winds me up as PAK is rather pointless in this respect.

·
Registered
282 Posts
where is the open close windows, remote panic alarm, remote flash indicators that the main key has
Half guessing here, but they are probably working in some kind of Agile software development way, the Agile manifesto says:
individuals and interactions over processes and tools
Working software over comprehensive documentation
Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
Responding to change over following a plan
Which in real life translates to releasing small prototypes of a working software, getting feedback and improving to the next release. This might be annoying due to lack of features, but in theory it ensures better long term quality.

·
Registered
282 Posts
@Malabarfront I second that, but Polestar are pushing us to use the app by giving only one decent key, the second one is nicer but has un-replaceable battery. Handing over one key between family members is inconvenient and prone to errors like "shit I'm on the bus but forgot to leave the key to my wife"

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
@Malabarfront I second that, but Polestar are pushing us to use the app by giving only one decent key, the second one is nicer but has un-replaceable battery. Handing over one key between family members is inconvenient and prone to errors like "shit I'm on the bus but forgot to leave the key to my wife"
My solution to that is simple. wife don’t get to drive my car as I won’t pay for her driving lessons lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
Yeah this is the only concern really, but I don't know how long that activity key should last before dying. I've got the car for 4 years.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Have they solved the issue where it completely drains Android phone batteries from constant background use?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Use PAK every day. twice I have experienced that there is no response when I touch the door handle, but after opening the app, the car has unlooked and I can drive back home

·
Registered
MY 2022, Long Range Dual-Motor, Snow/Nappa, Pilot, Plus, Tow hitch
500 Posts
If I can get it set up right, I'm thinking I'll use PAK for shorter journeys and let the better half have the key fob. I'll keep the activity key in reserve for longer journeys, where I can't risk getting stuck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I only use PAK (iPhone 13 mini). Have used since receiving the car two months ago and have only had issues once and it was user error with my phone.

I did take a spare key on a recent three day trip out of town but it was only in case my wife needed to drive without me.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought an inventory model so my car came with two keys. Once I (finally) got the phone paired and PAK set up, I slowly started pushing the use cases. I now basically use PAK all the time. I keep one physical hard key in the car in a faraday bag just in case, and on my one roadtrip I took the bag into the rest stop with me while the car was charging just in case. But so far it’s been pretty stable. it occasionally fails to unlock the doors but car startup seems consistent.

·
Registered
Midnight PP leather tow
119 Posts
I needed a sw update at the garage to get it working to start with. They installed P1.7 a few weeks ago.
Last week the car dowloaded and I installed P1.7 (yes, the "same" version). After that the app logged me out, PAK stopped working and google assistant did the bing-bong and coloured dots thing but refused to pick up any voice commands. Rebooting the tablet fixed the latter and I had to re-activate PAK in admin in the app but I trust it about as far as I can throw the car.
I mainly have it in case I manage to lock myself out of the car with keys inside, maybe my phone could save the day. It's more likely that the phone will be there too and locking the keys in isn't supposed to be possible (I think) but lots of things aren't supposed to happen...

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wish the app would have allowed for a button to also "start" the car. You could then use the app to unlock the car and also drive it, but without having to rely on the phone as the key. I think this is something that for example Tesla has, where the owner can remotely unlock the car and allow for it to be driven.

This would of course be just for emergency use, but if the key was lost, it could get you out of a right pickle.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I needed a sw update at the garage to get it working to start with. They installed P1.7 a few weeks ago.
Last week the car dowloaded and I installed P1.7 (yes, the "same" version). After that the app logged me out, PAK stopped working and google assistant did the bing-bong and coloured dots thing but refused to pick up any voice commands. Rebooting the tablet fixed the latter and I had to re-activate PAK in admin in the app but I trust it about as far as I can throw the car.
I mainly have it in case I manage to lock myself out of the car with keys inside, maybe my phone could save the day. It's more likely that the phone will be there too and locking the keys in isn't supposed to be possible (I think) but lots of things aren't supposed to happen...
The car won’t lock with the keys inside, unless it’s got a bug, I suppose it shouldn’t lock with the phone inside either if the phone was used to get in and drive the car, unless the battery dies then it would lock.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I'm not sure which option to pick for this poll, but I used PAK consistently and exclusively pretty much the whole summer (shorts seasons, no jacket, hence, fewer pockets for physical key), but now that we're in autumn, I'm back to using the physical key because it pretty much lives in my jacket pocket.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts