Polestar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm excited for this. I've been told I should be. But what is it & what will be be able to do with it?
I'm not familiar with dispensing with a fob & relying on my phone so bear with me.
Do you expect we will be able to.....
schedule the timed heating from our phone?
check battery charge level?
set destination for map & check we have enough charge?

Am I just scratching the surface? Will there be lots more functions? Will functions be added for Phone as Key OTA gradually?
Or is it all a big Chinese secret?
If there's already a fat thread about this I apologise.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm excited for this. I've been told I should be. But what is it & what will be be able to do with it?
I'm not familiar with dispensing with a fob & relying on my phone so bear with me.
Do you expect we will be able to.....
schedule the timed heating from our phone?
check battery charge level?
set destination for map & check we have enough charge?

Am I just scratching the surface? Will there be lots more functions? Will functions be added for Phone as Key OTA gradually?
Or is it all a big Chinese secret?
If there's already a fat thread about this I apologise.
I understood it will be instead of using your keyfob to open the car and for the seating positions to be based on your phone also, no summons mode that I am aware of like on the Tesla (although that is a crazy amount of extra money on the purchase). It uses the phone's bluetooth as I understand it, which does introduce an interesting variable in that my wife keeps hers in her bag and if she is driving I would have the bag in the passenger footwell. Everything you have suggested seems sensible to me, I have to say I hadn't even considered the map part, but I like that, I like that a lot!!! I guess in reality what you said makes sense - almost infinite options.

My other question is whether the Android and iOS support will be out at the same time? Any thoughts, news on that from anyone?

·
Registered
California
428 Posts
Tesla of course has a lot of functionality in their app, but for me, most used:
  • Looking at a spot in Maps on my iPhone. Tap share, then tap Tesla. Model 3 will be set to navigate to that destination when I hop in.
  • Open app and tap “Climate” button to just start prewarming/precooling whenever I want.
  • Check on charge.
  • Check that I locked.
  • Check where I parked. 😅
  • Turn on/off Sentry mode or Valet mode (no access to glovebox, limit accel, etc)
The biggest thing is just the convenience of almost-always having access to the car. If my spouse and I need to trade cars or pick up from a train station or whatever we don’t have to pre-negotiate remembering to both bring keys. If I’m outside the house by the car I don’t have to go back inside to grab key to open it up to grab something.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
483 Posts
Exactly what @julianm says Dave. One of the biggest disappointments for me has been that this wasn’t ready when the car rolled off the production line. The ability to check the car from an app, send instructions to it etc will simply be a game changer when it lands.

·
Premium Member
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,260 Posts
It'll be a game-changer for Polestar 2 owners ;) but not for the owners of almost every other EV out there...

·
Registered
692 Posts
Sort of (?) related question: Has anyone successfully logged into their Polestar Account in the car (in the same place where you log into Google)? I can't get mine to work when I use the same credentials I use for the Polestar Website. Is this disabled on the car for now?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Sort of (?) related question: Has anyone successfully logged into their Polestar Account in the car (in the same place where you log into Google)? I can't get mine to work when I use the same credentials I use for the Polestar Website. Is this disabled on the car for now?
I had no problem logging in with my Polestar ID in the car.

Reactions: JPC and polerad

·
Registered
692 Posts
I had no problem logging in with my Polestar ID in the car.
Just to be clear your Polestar ID is the email address that you use to log into the Polestar website right? Sorry if I’m being an idiot here.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just to be clear your Polestar ID is the email address that you use to log into the Polestar website right? Sorry if I’m being an idiot here.
Yes. Same email address and password that I use for the web site and app.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If you're wondering about the "Polestar system-ID", it's just an internal resource GUID identifying each customer. So let's say your email gets hacked, you wouldn't also want to lose access to your car profile, including the ability to sign into the app to unlock it. If you can prove the loss of email address associated with your Polestar profile, they can simply replace your email address against the same Polestar system-ID. This is pretty common in software.

Edit: and one more big advantage of using GUIDs as internal identifiers for customers - engineers don't have to use customers' email addresses to query assets/information attached to them; the advantage is that customers' email addresses can be considered "customer content" (or equivalent) data classification as opposed to GUIDs, which are system metadata (or EUPI) (reference) (or equivalent) and the former carries a bigger burden of just cause for accessing by employees.

·
Registered
2021 Polestar 2
483 Posts
I would contest that getting some functionality that was standard on my last three cars is a game changer!

The game changer was this stuff being absent in the first place...
Don’t disagree Steve but we do not all start from the same baseline. The app for me will be pretty revolutionary and was a disappointment given how well developed the Tesla one seems to be. The beauty here will be the ‘fresh’ feel of this car as more gets added on over time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
It'll be a game-changer for Polestar 2 owners ;) but not for the owners of almost every other EV out there...
Or any recent luxury car. Minus the sentry mode, I am able to do everything above on my Volvo XC90, BMW X3, and Audi e-tron apps!

The thing with having the phone act as key fob was the main thing I was looking forward to. Also I think eventually someone will write an Android Automotive app for recording the car cameras.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The biggest thing is just the convenience of almost-always having access to the car. If my spouse and I need to trade cars or pick up from a train station or whatever we don’t have to pre-negotiate remembering to both bring keys. If I’m outside the house by the car I don’t have to go back inside to grab key to open it up to grab something.
My issue with phone as key is that I always have my phone on me. Whereas my wallet and keys sit together on my bureau so I pick them up together. I can easily see myself driving off in the car without my wallet -- that contains my license!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I would contest that getting some functionality that was standard on my last three cars is a game changer!

The game changer was this stuff being absent in the first place...
Ditto. Once you've had this stuff for a few years it's a big let down.

·
Registered
California
428 Posts
My issue with phone as key is that I always have my phone on me. Whereas my wallet and keys sit together on my bureau so I pick them up together. I can easily see myself driving off in the car without my wallet -- that contains my license!
Yep, I have exactly this problem and have done this once or twice.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Yep, I have exactly this problem and have done this once or twice.
I don't have phone as key yet, but how I know this is possible is that every so often (particularly now that we are mostly home bound) I will get in the car and it won't start. Then I remember that I don't have my key -- or my wallet :D

1 - 20 of 172 Posts