Polestar Forum banner

121 - 140 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm 10.5 stone but have a friend and colleague who is probably be in the upper teens. He's tall, too. He sat in my car for the first time yesterday and certainly filled the space, lol, but he thought it was fine! He actually found that he liked the big center console and all.

I was surprised. He had nothing but nice things to say about the car, except that he's not ready to go full electric, and for him, that makes sense. (He regularly has 8 hour plus drives and doesn't want to be slowed down by our sketchy charging infrastructure.)
It is so weird you english/American people still use units made up in the Middle Ages. And we’ll keep the pounds out of the discussion too. Just use kilogram, more scientific. :sneaky:
Metric all the way !

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is so weird you english/American people still use units made up in the Middle Ages. And we’ll keep the pounds out of the discussion too. Just use kilogram, more scientific. :sneaky:
Metric all the way !
They're just being goofy; we don't use stones as measurement over here, just pounds-ounces, feet-inches.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm 10.5 stone but have a friend and colleague who is probably be in the upper teens. He's tall, too. He sat in my car for the first time yesterday and certainly filled the space, lol, but he thought it was fine! He actually found that he liked the big center console and all.

I was surprised. He had nothing but nice things to say about the car, except that he's not ready to go full electric, and for him, that makes sense. (He regularly has 8 hour plus drives and doesn't want to be slowed down by our sketchy charging infrastructure.)
8 hours without any stops? Or has he got a bladder of steel? o_O

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
We've had that discussion. I argue that the worst case net increase in his trip would be an hour. He just shakes his head and mutters something about a hybrid which I then argue is the worst of both worlds.

I find the discussion all the more interesting because he's a smart guy with progressive opinions. There's just a skepticism out there, particularly in this country on this coast where it's a new concept. (You don't even see many Teslas around here.)

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July?
236 Posts
I think it is not so much range as infrastructure that causes the real doubts. If we knew you would always get a charge when you need it then wouldn’t worry so much. But range can be a big issue in places like us and Australia. I used ABRP to look at a trip I used to do and how an ev would cope.

now I in my 20s would do this in one sitting and probably refuel my old EXA once on the trip stopping for a pie and piss.
ABRP however suggests that an ev may make this hard

realistically in places like this we will have difficulty in convincing people and legislators to go EV until range is much more ICE like.

To be fair there were times I would carry extra fuel in my cars as I would get range anxiety in an ICE driving around some parts of the country.

·
Registered
Midnight 20” Charcoal July?
236 Posts
Sorry just noticed I posed this into the wrong thread 🤣

I just spent 14years getting used to the hybrid imperial/metric system here in the uk

Having been too Young to dive when Austraila dropped miles for km.

·
Registered
88 Posts
@pbrady999 that countryside was great - ! If you then freewheeled all the way from Toowoomba to Gatton you'd be up at least 50KWh. Also I recall in Northern Territory having ICE speed limited by range anxiety.
drive-to-conditions.jpg

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Lord knows we've tried to go metric. But like everything else in this country, we can't get out of our own way. And can you imagine in the current climate? I can see the conspiracy theories now. Crashes will increase, people will be poisoned or get drunk, planes will drop out of the sky, houses will fall down, people will get electrocuted, etc. etc. 🙄

·
Registered
276 Posts
That's because you live in the sticks. In the big city (not just NY) Teslas are a dime a dozen.
Agreed: DC area is crawling with them. I have 4 on my block in northern VA.

Reactions: polerad

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
127 Posts
At least no more Space Shuttles will fall out of the sky ;) Or was it an Ariane rocket that exploded because of a metric/imperial conversion error?
That was NASA's Mars Climate Orbiter. The Ariane 5 crashed because some value in its control software exceeded the 16 bits that had been allocated for it (which, iirc, worked fine in the previous Ariane 4 and was not updated for the larger and more powerful Ariane 5).

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
At least no more Space Shuttles will fall out of the sky ;) Or was it an Ariane rocket that exploded because of a metric/imperial conversion error?
For the record, I was there when the first shuttle fell out of the sky 😢. Those were our friends and neighbors.

·
Registered
720 Posts
That's because you live in the sticks. In the big city (not just NY) Teslas are a dime a dozen.
Lol, yea. They are all over the place here in SoCal.

Reactions: polerad
121 - 140 of 174 Posts