Polestar Forum banner

221 - 240 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
So I'm not alone in observing the Polestar app being battery hungry, thanks. Good to know, even if it's not good.
I have an S12 ultra and it's used 9% of the battery today - I don't have it activated in the car yet.

I also have a pixel 4 XL and it doesn't even make an appearance on the list of battery hogs.

Both phones have the same level of permissions granted. Maybe the S12 will get its act together once the app has been on there a couple of days.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
614 Posts
I'm not going to be celebrating just yet. Whilst yours has behaved since your software update, I don't believe we've fully seen the back of this issue yet (in the UK at least), let's see once we've got a few more people on the latest update and got a few weeks experience with it to see if they have solved LTE/4G connectivity once and for all. (I wasn't aware that they were claiming they'd done anything specific on this OTA update to rectify this).

Happy for you, that yours is rock steady though.
I've had the firmware for a week, still works within 3-5 seconds every time. GPS never failed either, it would fail every other day, but I agree, n=1 is a very small sample.

I'm guessing it's because the telematics stays online now to communicate with the mothership, so even if they did not fix whatever was going wrong when connecting to the network, it's not happening as often anymore.

·
Registered
468 Posts
What version of Android are you running?
Android version 9. I've got a permanent notification that polestar "phone as key is enabled" since the App updated. I'll see what it does for a couple of days. Might be because I have the app but not the OTA yet, who knows.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I've had the firmware for a week, still works within 3-5 seconds every time. GPS never failed either, it would fail every other day, but I agree, n=1 is a very small sample.

I'm guessing it's because the telematics stays online now to communicate with the mothership, so even if they did not fix whatever was going wrong when connecting to the network, it's not happening as often anymore.
Your guess makes sense, let's hope as the sample size gets bigger we all see the same.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I decided to test the phone as key functionality, even though as some of you may remember from earlier discussions I would never consider driving anywhere without a physical key (so no activity key for me either!)

I placed a bit of plastic in the battery of my car key to disable it, confirmed keyless unlocking/locking doesn't work and it can only start the car via the passive RFID reader under the arm rest, and spent the last 24 hours using the phone.

Issues so far:
- On a longish trip yesterday, bluetooth streaming from phone would drop out every few minutes. It would just randomly stop playing in the middle of a song, and a few seconds later the infotainment screen would show nothing connected, but I could tap there and reconnect it. For a few minutes. I restarted the infotainment, no joy. restarted the phone (iPhone 11 Pro Max, latest IOS) it worked fine for the remaining trip (one hour or so), but happened again today. I don't think that's related to the new firmware, as I've had it for nearly a week and it was fine, somehow enabling the digital key seems to cause my iPhone to drop the bluetooth connection after a while, and rebooting it seems to fix it for at least an hour or so.

- In one occasion today when I was in a hurry to leave, the car did not unlock. As I had the battery disconnected from my fob, I opened the app and tapped the unlock icon to get in the car, then it predictably refused to start because no key was detected. Dropped the fob in the arm rest cupholder and went on my business. Later, when I was in less of a hurry, I force killed and re-started the App and it worked again.

- The range seems to be a bit longer than the fobs, eg 3m total, with a brick wall between them. There are places in the house that I might leave my phone that would be within range, not reliably, but touching the door handle it might unlock 10% of the times. On the plus side, if the phone was unused for a long time (eg 30m sitting there) the Digital Key will not work until you've woken it up (ie touch the screen on the iPhone). Doubt this is a security feature of the app, probably power saving of the iPhone.

Overall not a great so far, less than 24 hours later I already had to use a backup method to get in (although had I not been in a hurry, restarting the app would have got me mobile) and it interferes with music streaming.

I'd be interested to hear of your experiences, and will provide an update after one week, at which point i'll probably stop using it as I don't need this feature (I'll disable the digital key and have it there as a backup in case my fob gets lost/damaged)

I recommend anyone considering testing this beta feature carry their keyfob with the battery removed or disconnected, it's not worth the risk at this stage to depend on this.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Android version 9. I've got a permanent notification that polestar "phone as key is enabled" since the App updated. I'll see what it does for a couple of days. Might be because I have the app but not the OTA yet, who knows.
Yup, permanent notification requirement for Foreground Services in Android. :) You should be able to turn it off in the notification settings, but you might want to keep it so you can see if the key is working at a glance.

·
Registered
Void | PP | Slate+Black Ash | No tow | Stickerless | IGL Kenzo graphene coating
143 Posts
I recommend anyone considering testing this beta feature carry their keyfob with the battery removed or disconnected, it's not worth the risk at this stage to depend on this.
That is good advice. I have a feeling I will mostly use my phone as a backup key on the rare occasion I forget the keyfob when going out to check if the next OTA has magically arrived yet. Because that is a thing in my life now.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Nuh uh. I use Bluetooth without turning on GPS all the time. Any source for your claim?
Google. Bluetooth overview | Android Developers

It's not GPS, it's location, and it's an application requirement. Music apps and such will work fine with BT headsets, apps that directly use BT are restricted. Reasoning is apps can figure out location using Bluetooth, so Google requires location access.

P.S. it's annoying as shit, hopefully they move away from tying them together.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Nuh uh. I use Bluetooth without turning on GPS all the time. Any source for your claim?
BLE is tied to location services because BLE beacons are often used to determine/deduce location. Whether you need to enable it for any give app depends on which APIs the app is using. Since Android 8.0, apps that use the Companion Device Manager API don't need location permission, but if they use the general purpose BLE APIs they need ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION. Since Android 10.0, If they need to discover Bluetooth devices they need the ACCESS_BACKGROUND_LOCATION.

See Bluetooth overview | Android Developers for all of the details.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Am I the only one in the US who didn't get the OTA yesterday? 450 cars yesterday seems like it should be most of those on the road.

Reactions: Mick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just picked up my car and set up the app and digital key right away. Works perfect. We need to allow the Polestar app access to location in the background, always. The app starts climate, locks an unlocks doors.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Am I the only one in the US who didn't get the OTA yesterday? 450 cars yesterday seems like it should be most of those on the road.
Nope... :(

(Four)

Reactions: Ms. PS2

·
Registered
California
482 Posts
The loaner P*2 I currently have has not received it either. It did receive the previous update the OTA way (I installed it 3 weeks ago when I got it).

·
Registered
670 Posts
Just completed mine and set up the digital key. Works just fine. The remote activations aren't working, I guess I wait for the 36 hours, no big deal there.

One frustration is that in order to have the app in English I have to choose the UK as my region. This means the range is quoted in miles... Not so useful in Sweden.

I mentioned language and region being hard linked on the Facebook page and they acknowledged it and said it would be changed in the future.

Edit: I notice we don't yet have the nice light show when approaching the car with digital key. I'm sure this was a thing that was advertised?

·
Registered
614 Posts
Just completed mine and set up the digital key. Works just fine. The remote activations aren't working, I guess I wait for the 36 hours, no big deal there.

One frustration is that in order to have the app in English I have to choose the UK as my region. This means the range is quoted in miles... Not so useful in Sweden.

I mentioned language and region being hard linked on the Facebook page and they acknowledged it and said it would be changed in the future.

Edit: I notice we don't yet have the nice light show when approaching the car with digital key. I'm sure this was a thing that was advertised?
Can we swap? I’m in the U.K., iphone and car setup using U.K. English, app quotes range in km!

221 - 240 of 531 Posts