Polestar Forum banner

701 - 720 of 831 Posts

·
Registered
Thunder, 19” wheels, charcoal interior, PPF Ceramic Coat & tinted windows, Black painted mirrors
163 Posts
Mine was working for about a week. I often had to close then reopen it, but it worked. 2 days ago it stopped starting the car. Could still lock/unlock the doors but that’s it.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Assuming that’s even correct, I guess I don’t understand what this has to do with why the Android layer can’t pass battery status (to which it super clearly has access) to a phone over a Google API, and why a year later you wouldn’t be able to access anything to do with the car in the Google Home app, leaving Polestar to do an end run and tap it directly . Or why Google would go to the trouble of creating an automotive OS it has no interest in integrating into the rest of your digital life (I maintain that Android’s ability to pass basic data about the car and control systems handled by the Polestar app is nowhere near as crippled as you say, just underutilized).

As a customer (and for myself as a product person in tech), I try not to get too hung up on making excuses for why things are they way they are and instead focus on how they should be. AAOS is nice but there’s a lot of work to be done, and I’m bothered by the amount of stuff Polestar seem to be building themselves that ought to be handled by Google if there’s to be a point to that relationship, or to Google building the OS at all.
It really just boils down to AAOS being an interface, not the central point of the car's overall functionality.
  • AAOS sleeps when the car is off, and before it can communicate with Google's servers it has to wake up and establish its network connection. This adds delays and failure points.
  • You're adding a jump from the car to AAOS, which is another break point in the chain.
  • AAOS isn't battery optimized like phones are, so when it's awake it doesn't care how much battery it's drawing. Problem if you park long term.
  • AAOS isn't mission critical, so if it crashes or fails for any reason, the app functionality is broken.
There are other reasons, like Polestar losing control over customer experience, but that's just car side.

That said, AAOS could absolutely communicate with the app, and there are opportunities for apps to directly interface with cloud connected devices, but the way AAOS functions and the way it's positioned within the car make it a poor choice to be the hub for connected car functionality.

Edit: Not trying to pick a fight here, just genuinely a little disappointed at how skin deep the AAOS experience seems to be at the moment. I’m heavily invested in IOT stuff and am impatiently waiting for a car to join that world in a first class way.
No worries, I get it, and it's frustrating that a lot of the core Google stuff is missing. But it's important to remember that AAOS is an infotainment platform, much like how Android is a smartphone platform. So like how Samsung, OnePlus, Nokia, ZTE, LG (RIP), TCL, etc all have their own look and feel to their Android implementations, Polestar, Ford, GM/GMC, Volvo, Dodge, etc will all have their own look and feel to their flavor of AAOS. Google and Polestar worked closely since Polestar was first to market, and Google is fairly good about working with partners, but Google is giving OEMs a system to build their interface (largely look and feel) on top of, not a complete solution. Take a look at the Hummer video below, it's running AAOS and you can see it is dramatically, ahem... different.

P.S. Arstechnica did a great deep dive on AAOS: Android Automotive OS review: Under the hood with Google’s car OS | Ars Technica

Reactions: krheinwald

·
Registered
440 Posts
Not quite. Apple may be dominant in the US, but not around the world. And the car market is hardly US-centric anymore.
What I mean by this is that if AAOS is just a pretty face without real and deep ecosystem/device integration, it’s not going to be hard to copy and there’ll be little point in it existing at all. As this is their halo car at the moment, I have high expectations.

·
Registered
Void, Charcoal
211 Posts
What I mean by this is that if AAOS is just a pretty face without real and deep ecosystem/device integration, it’s not going to be hard to copy and there’ll be little point in it existing at all. As this is their halo car at the moment, I have high expectations.
Apple only dominates if they can control everything from beginning to end. No car company would agree to such a thing. Both Apple and Google had tremendous trouble getting any traction with certain very big car companies, even with just CP and AA.

(If a car came with an Apple-made infotainment system, they would instantly lose me as a customer. I escaped the Apple walled garden years ago, and a car won't bring me back into it.)

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Apple's iPhone shipped without an app store, couldn't run 3rd party apps, didn't support 3G data, couldn't send picture messages, couldn't multitask, and couldn't run apps in the background, amongst many other shortcomings. It's easy to forget almost 14 years later, but when it launched the iPhone's killer feature was that it was literally just a pretty face that could play your iTunes collection.

Point is, AAOS is well beyond where Apple was then, and even though it still has a ways to go it's still miles ahead of what most other OEMs are doing. It will get better.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,397 Posts
Is Android Automotive the best auto infotainment interface available today? No contest. Is the door open for Apple to absolutely slaughter them in this space if it wants to? With their eyes closed.
I thought Apple's whole schtick was vertically integration, offering products for which they control both the hardware and software. Unless the iCar actually materializes I doubt they'll going to be offering an AAOS competitor.

In that sense, maybe Google understand that they have no real competition here - so why bother devoting resources to getting it right now? Let Polestar/Volvo handle that since it's only Polestar/Volvo's customers who will be ticked off by buggy and delayed features, not Google's direct customers. Unless Polestar/Volvo (and any other OEM looking to sign onto AAOS) holds Google's feet to the fire here, I doubt Google will devote what it really takes to fix it all on a reasonable timeframe.

·
Super Moderator
Polestar 2, Midnight (blue), charcoal interior, non-PP
2,712 Posts
Sorry in advance in case this question was asked before.

in/with the app I can only close and open the doors remotely, does work.
range doesn’t show, it says ‘data sharing is turned off for battery’.
remote climate activation, same thing; ‘data sharing turned off for climate’.
Use the touchscreen to change the setting

I went through all the menu‘s, but don’t seem to be able to find where to enable data sharing for these 2 functions …
Hi, seems in all the Apple vs Android stuff (which is a bit off topic really...) we all forgot to give you some answers...
Make sure you have signed in with your Polestar ID (go to your account by pressing the letter in the top right, then Accounts, and check there's a Polestar account in there as well as Google). Then go to the main settings page, then the data sharing/security options, and make sure they're all turned on.
Finally, you'll have to wait 24-36 hours for the functions to go live, so this morning you might find it all works.

·
Registered
632 Posts
it asked me to provide access to "Motion & Fitness" data
My PAK pairing gets hung up after telling me it needs motion and fitness access. It won’t finish setting up PAK. I’m on iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14.6. Anyone know which setting it’s requesting?

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
759 Posts
For me there would be no "might". I'd definitely avoided the Polestar if it was running an Apple interface.
Long time Apple user here (I tried Android and it just didn't work for me).

I don't mind that the car's infotainment is running Android as I don't care to be honest, and it's not something that's visible to the end user.

Honestly all I need a car to do is have a satnav, radio and offer bluetooth for calls/music from my phone.

Polestar 2 does all of these just as weel as my other cars, although the radio is terrible.

I personally have maps on the top left, radio on the top right, phone on bottom left and bt music on bottom right, and that's all I need. My understanding is that this home screen layout is not Android Automotive specific but a Polestar design so it probably would have been the same if they used another OS.

I suppose being Android one has the theoretical advantage of installing other apps, but at the moment it's just that - theoretical, most are crap, although that might change, however it's equally likely that this will be another dead project on the long list of dead projects by Google.

·
Registered
Stickerless Thunder on 19's
1,743 Posts
Hi, seems in all the Apple vs Android stuff (which is a bit off topic really...) we all forgot to give you some answers...
Make sure you have signed in with your Polestar ID (go to your account by pressing the letter in the top right, then Accounts, and check there's a Polestar account in there as well as Google). Then go to the main settings page, then the data sharing/security options, and make sure they're all turned on.
Finally, you'll have to wait 24-36 hours for the functions to go live, so this morning you might find it all works.
So taking this further (for those poor fools who may not be logged in on their Polestar account)- what would be their next step?

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am glad that the car is not integrated into Google and I hope it stays that way. IOT is a nice concept, but I don't want it anywhere near my car. If my thermostat or fridge is hijacked, that's one thing, but my car is another entirely.
You enjoy waiting for the Polestar app to refresh charge, security, and climate status every time you open the app, as opposed to having the OS poll in the background and the app leverage that? This should be slower and less reliable than seeing what lights are on in my house, or how my thermostat is set? Truly, I don’t understand this.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Does the app actually work for anyone all the time? Mine works every now and again displays battery sometimes, then doesn't refresh. Also climate is very random, it would be very handy now with the heat.

·
Registered
Polestar 2 (Thunder/Slate)
759 Posts
Does the app actually work for anyone all the time? Mine works every now and again displays battery sometimes, then doesn't refresh. Also climate is very random, it would be very handy now with the heat.
Same here, on iPhone. Might take a couple of restarts to get it to work, and rarely does everything work.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Let Polestar/Volvo handle that since it's only Polestar/Volvo's customers who will be ticked off by buggy and delayed features, not Google's direct customers.
This is potentially a big issue. Google doesn't have much skin in the game. Unlike regular Google apps and environments that collect data and push ads, in this setup I would think they only get revenue from PS, or maybe some cut of ad driven revenue from Spotify/iHeart/etc. The business model is completely different and you have to wonder if it is profitable enough to drive innovation.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
You enjoy waiting for the Polestar app to refresh charge, security, and climate status every time you open the app, as opposed to having the OS poll in the background and the app leverage that?
This doesn't bother me in the least. My life is not in that much of a hurry. I still think the Google/PS implementation has a long way to go, because other manufacturers have done this without any real lag to speak of.

·
Registered
2021 2
2,397 Posts
aside from PAK (stopped working a while back and I haven't bothered trying to fix it) mine works reliably, except I have to restart the app 1-2x many times. I almost have the iOS force close and restart movements down to muscle memory because of it!

701 - 720 of 831 Posts